Old 10-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Push Putting from the Straddle

I started push putting inside the circle about 5 months ago... after 3 months of sorta floundering I put about a 4 weeks of every day practice into it. I'm talking about the Dave Feldberg style of push putt - (semi-sideways stance).

Even after a ton of practice, it never felt right to me and I wasn't really improving - so after watching Nikko's putting clinic on youtube, I decided to give it a try... and it was a pretty immediate gratification.

Anyways, I posted a much longer rant about it here if you want to read it. It's got the links to a couple videos.

TL;DR: I love the straddle style push putt.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 18
Great article. I've been a straddle only push putter for about 6 plus months now but I have very recently begin to use a hybrid push/spin putt outside the circle.

One big thing I've found from straddle putting from distance is don't be afraid to pull your arm back farther between your legs to generate more power. I've seen Nikko do that a lot. I can straddle put from 50-75 feet like this and have just as good a chance at getting it (or better) than spin putting.

I've also found that a key to power with the straddle is to hyzer the disc some from far out. It's much easier to throw it farther with a little (or sometimes a lot) of hyzer.

I've found a few different kinds of pitch type putts that I seem to go through.

One where I keep both my feet parallel to the basket and just swing my arm. This seems to be similar to your putt as it comes out very low.

Another one is where I more loft it and spring it off my fingers. And while I'm still straddling my left foot is back about a foot and I use my knees to bounce/spring up as I swing my arm up.

The last is more like playing horseshoes. I think this is how Nikko putts and you really don't put hardly any spin on it at all. I literally swing my arm and let it go like I'm tossing a baseball to a child.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Eagle Member

When you say you are throwing it with hyzer, do you mean that the disc is angled w/ left side down thrown straight at the pin or that you're fading the disc from right to left to the pin?

I definitely am reaching the disc way back between my legs to get the longer shot distance. That with my left leg back about a foot and knee in a springy position allows me to get more heft. If I'm feeling it, I'll take the step as weel. Complete honesty though, I'm at maybe 2 outta 10 from a true 30-40' out. I miss mostly on the front of the rim or off the top though, which I feel like is progress.

Today I was curious to see where I was at with a 40' spin putt and I missed many of them as usual - and it's just insane how easy it is to throw 25' past the pin! Glad to be making progress with the straddle.

Also, glad you liked the article!
Old 10-02-2013, 06:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.8
The putting circle is not 30 feet - it's 10 meters.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Eagle Member

The metric system is dying a slow death. 32.8' !!!

Old 10-02-2013, 10:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyzerUniBomber View Post
When you say you are throwing it with hyzer, do you mean that the disc is angled w/ left side down thrown straight at the pin or that you're fading the disc from right to left to the pin?

I definitely am reaching the disc way back between my legs to get the longer shot distance. That with my left leg back about a foot and knee in a springy position allows me to get more heft. If I'm feeling it, I'll take the step as weel. Complete honesty though, I'm at maybe 2 outta 10 from a true 30-40' out. I miss mostly on the front of the rim or off the top though, which I feel like is progress.

Today I was curious to see where I was at with a 40' spin putt and I missed many of them as usual - and it's just insane how easy it is to throw 25' past the pin! Glad to be making progress with the straddle.

Also, glad you liked the article!
It's more the disc has a slight hyzer going on a slight arc to the basket. It's not a laser beam. I think the slight hyzer angle allows the wrist to put more spin on the disc thus making it go farther easier. My best putting 32.8 feet out is standing in a staggered stance and putting the disc against my left/back knee and using the arm action of my pitch putt and the body shift of a spin putt. I put the slight hyzer on that and I'm hitting more putts from outside the circle than I ever have. I'd say about 30-40 percent from 40-50 feet but I've only been practicing these long putts for about 3 weeks or so and not very much at that.

I was trying to spin putt from that far out but this just kinda came out easier than bending my elbow and doing the whole pull it into my stomach and normal spin putting. It's been successful so I'm trying to refine it.

Right now I'm messing around with throwing it from there like flicking a ninja throwing star (more spin) and tossing a horseshoe (more like Nikko).

And the beat goes on.