Old 09-11-2013, 01:27 AM
Par Member

The ultimate thumb placement for BH drives?

Backstory: I've been averaging about 300-310' in distance with fairway drivers (6-9, mostly using eagles, volts, and rivers of varying plastics and weights) this year. I am wondering if a simple adjustment in thumb placement would help get some more extra distance as I have no plans on working again with higher speed discs until I can reach 330-350 on average with fairways. (Also I can reach 270 with putters and 290 with mids, if that helps at all)

The basic question: Where and how do you place your thumb for driving?

More detailed question: So is your thumb flush against the disc, just the thumb's pad on the disc, tip of thumb? Maybe even is your thumb placed like a 'needle on a record' sort of deal? Do you put your thumb just on the edge of the rim, just halfway on the rim, thumb joint where index finger is, thumb more toward the middle of the disc? Does the thumb lean in to the disc, away from the disc, stays centered?

*Descriptions + Pictures preferred

Example: My own example for how I am currently placing my thumb for driving I'd describe as being sloped at a constant angle and that most of the pressure applied to the disc is on the front half of the pad of my thumb and is placed halfway on the rim. Some of the pressure is applied to the tip of my index finger from my thumb's placement, and my thumb tends to lean into the disc.

Heres a couple of the best shots I could take while trying to hold my disc the way I would to drive.

On a side note I have a 'hitchhikers thumb' (can bend my thumbs backwards easily over 90 degrees). Does anyone of this genetic trait incorporate it into a unique and effective grip/throwing style?
Old 09-11-2013, 01:36 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 4
http://www.discraft.com/vid/html/dg23.html
Check that out. Might help.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:37 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Thumb looks to close to the edge i find the best place on drivers is where the rim ends and the flight plate starts i place the right side of my thumb right where the rim ends and keep my thumb about that position on all my discs
Old 09-11-2013, 01:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 106
Thumb pad is too close the edge and base of the thumb too over the disc with the disc too deep into the palm. Also keep the top pinky joint straight, and allow more space between the end fingers from the middle fingers. Also looks like the orientation of the disc to the forearm is not in the same plane like the very first pic in link below.
http://www.discgolfreview.com/resour...ttoripit.shtml
Old 09-11-2013, 02:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 53
Send a message via Skype™ to tarel
i moved to a 3 finger grip and thumb pressing into plate i gave up on 4 fingers for everything except short mids and putters
Old 09-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHFH
I'm definitely not one to help you with distance driving and I'm working with grip myself. I simply needed to interject that your choice in avatars is top notch!

Okay, back on topic...
Old 09-15-2013, 09:58 PM
Par Member

Thanks for the advice everyone, I will be trying it out this week. Tarel I don't really want to go back to a 3 finger grip if I can improve with 4 as I had switched from 3 fingers a couple years ago hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last DJ View Post
I'm definitely not one to help you with distance driving and I'm working with grip myself. I simply needed to interject that your choice in avatars is top notch!

Okay, back on topic...
Thanks, I love Durer's works and the four horsemen definitely my favorite.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballingerj44 View Post
Thumb looks to close to the edge i find the best place on drivers is where the rim ends and the flight plate starts
I agree with this. Also keeping you thumb & palm flush with the top of the disc is huge IMO. If you aren't flush you lose distance.
Feldberg talks about it in these clinics
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:31 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 7
Send a message via Skype™ to Notrepidation
There seems to be a bit of a split field on the whole issue of placing the thumb pad and meaty part of the thumb flush against the disc as Feldberg prefers and placing the thumb bent and the thumb pad pinched against the disc and index finger under the disc. What's the consensus here? I have been going back and forth with this forever. Sidewinder, what do you prefer? The Feldy technique or the Avery technique?

Old 09-16-2013, 04:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notrepidation View Post
I have been going back and forth with this forever. Sidewinder, what do you prefer? The Feldy technique or the Avery technique?
I think hand/finger size makes a difference, being on the smaller hand side I prefer Feldy's thumb placement with the base of the thumb against the flight plate. I've been throwing with a fan grip like MJ uses though. I can also throw with Avery's grip about as well, but my thumb joint doesn't like it. Avery is an eight foot two ton monster who showers in grain alcohol and can palm a medicine ball.