Disc Golf Store
Old 09-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Fixing early pullthrough

ok, so my throw has issues and I'm trying to work through them. One of my big issues I think is starting the pull early. I think i'm my haste to throw I begin my pull through while I'm still on my back foot. I'm sure this causes all kinds of things to happen to include, nose angle issues, high release and things like that.

Is there something I can do or a drill I can work on that can help me work on pulling through later. I'm sure this is at least one of my causes of power loss.....
Old 09-11-2013, 12:06 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 12
I think I posted the turn and throw drill for you on another post you made. Start facing 180 away from your throwing target, turn and throw. But, dont accelerate your arm until you're made visual contact with your target.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:10 PM
Birdie Member

I have some of the same issues and read a great trick on another forum.
Put your hands by down by your side (without a disc) and set your feet apart and turn your hips away from your target direction, then throw your hips forward towards your target. Your arms will whip forward as your shoulders follow your hips. Feel your legs and hips rotate forward and get the timing down. I try to do this during warm-ups during field work. It helps me to get the feel of clearing my hips before the pull through and it connects my lower body to the upper. Don't pull from the reach back - start the pull as or after your hips clear and get some "lag" between the lower half of your body and the upper. My 2 cents...hope it helps man. I've spent the last year learning how to throw 350-375' and as mentioned by many others, I'm now going to work on how to throw 30' !!
Old 09-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by A rod View Post
I think I posted the turn and throw drill for you on another post you made. Start facing 180 away from your throwing target, turn and throw. But, dont accelerate your arm until you're made visual contact with your target.
I think you may have too and I've tried that a few times, I should work on it more. My problems it seems I practice something then move on to something else or go play and get annoyed because I'm not throwing well and revert. Then I don't go back to practicing what I was working on before. I need to find something that works and stick with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain_ape7 View Post
I have some of the same issues and read a great trick on another forum.
Put your hands by down by your side (without a disc) and set your feet apart and turn your hips away from your target direction, then throw your hips forward towards your target. Your arms will whip forward as your shoulders follow your hips. Feel your legs and hips rotate forward and get the timing down. I try to do this during warm-ups during field work. It helps me to get the feel of clearing my hips before the pull through and it connects my lower body to the upper. Don't pull from the reach back - start the pull as or after your hips clear and get some "lag" between the lower half of your body and the upper. My 2 cents...hope it helps man. I've spent the last year learning how to throw 350-375' and as mentioned by many others, I'm now going to work on how to throw 30' !!
See for me its the total opposite, I'm actually not half bad at short approach shots my distance off the tee is just embarrassing for the most part...well not to that extreme but I can't hit 300 with any consistency and I think if I was honest with myself my average is right around 250. I feel like even with bad form I should be able to hit 300 easily so Im trying to find the major form flaw that I have.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: RHBH
The late pull through really clicked for me after a Feldberg and Leviska clinic where they demonstrated, for backhand, looking directly down at the ground during the pull, pulling directly beneath the nose, and releasing with the head still in that same position. The head doesn't rotate up and around until the rotation of the off hand shoulder forces it to during the follow through.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:54 PM
Birdie Member

You'll get it man. Use your lower body more and let your arm and shoulder generate the final whip at the "hit". I was just an amazing grip lock artist when I started to learn a backhand last winter! Trying too hard and using too much arm at the wrong moment.
Go to a park and just work on pushing off the back leg, throwing the hips forward as you plant the front leg and don't pull until you clear the hips. You will feel a couple just freakin RIP and SNAP out of your hand and go......hmmm that's what it feels like! Generate that lag between your lower body and upper. Good luck!
Old 09-11-2013, 02:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 106
You have to feel more weight on the front leg before you swing.
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:54 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 56
One footed throws

Stand on your lead foot, bring the disc in front of you, take your reachback, throw the disc.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 13
Started working on this myself after sidewinder pointed this out on my swing. I was able to do it a couple of nights ago. I basically thought of leaning into the shot after the full reachback/backswing before the pull. I don't know if this lead to messing up other parts of my swing but it looked better when I took a video of myself from the rear.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 12
I know exactly what you mean. Its hard to keep focus on improving when you change something up. Its kind of 1 step back 2 steps forward. I used to practice that turn and throw drill indoors with a stocking cap for a disc and throwing at the light switch plate during the winter. Must have thrown that beanie into the wall hundreds of times but now its just muscle memory at the course.

What the others posted is good, I like the idea of making your upper body slightly lag behind your lower body motions. Push off your back foots toes to get your torso turning, while at reach back, then once your chest is coming around to face the front, THEN you start the pull.

Stand perpendicular to a closed door and reach across your body to put your throwing hand on the handle. Keep your hand there, and feel the push off your back foot to point your torso 90 to the right. That is roughly where you want to get before bringing the throwing arms elbow forward. You should be able to feel the tension being built in your core. Slightly bending forward will accentuate the tension.