Old 08-08-2013, 04:39 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Power Grip Palm Placement

I use a power grip a lot and it goes in the seam of my hand starting between my pointer and middle finger. It ends where the fleshy part of the palm/thumb creases.

Now I watched some clips of Avery Jenkins and he says for a power grip hold it like this.

http://www.averyjenkins.net/disc-golf-grips/

How many of you have that much of a gap above the disc or that much of your palm on top of the disc. I haven't tried it yet but it seems like it would put more power on your pull.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Plastic Counselor

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 103
Not sure what exactly you are trying to get at.. I can say that when your palm is on top of the disc touching it will cause drag in your release and also take away from the single pressure point you are trying to snap the disc from. Max d drives you will often see a player put their thumb closer to the center of the disc getting more pressure into it and appear to have their palm on the top but like Avery there is a lot of space there where the thumb touches and back edge of the disc rests.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfowler View Post
I use a power grip a lot and it goes in the seam of my hand starting between my pointer and middle finger. It ends where the fleshy part of the palm/thumb creases.

Now I watched some clips of Avery Jenkins and he says for a power grip hold it like this.

http://www.averyjenkins.net/disc-golf-grips/

How many of you have that much of a gap above the disc or that much of your palm on top of the disc. I haven't tried it yet but it seems like it would put more power on your pull.
I think it can add power by reducing drag, but I find that I have a much larger tendency to early release when I don't have the heel of my thumb on the flight plate.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.2
Courses Played: 84
The power grip is all about your digit fingertips inside the rim. Four fingertips holding on and ripping the disc out of that grip. the palm is out of the equation on power grips. put your fingertips inside the rim all together first, then bring your thumb to the top side. Whatever is comfortable for the rest of the hand doesn't really matter because the four fingertips are doing all the work!
Old 08-08-2013, 06:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 59
Wrong, listen to Feldberg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sxw8ix0CYs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUOq09T2q54
Old 08-08-2013, 07:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfowler View Post
Not very many. I think it helps to have big hands to grip like Avery does with the thumb. His grip also hurts my top thumb joint, but his grip does tend to help get the nose down.

I've always been switching my grips up and playing around with different things. Lately I've mostly been using MJ's fan grip with some pretty good results.

Try Robbie's 2 finger and MJ's fan grip, as well as a modified power grip and play around with different thumb pressures. Those should give you some different perspectives, but all should still be in the same distance range.
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 30
i do that. it works great for me. find what works for you. contrary to discinfiends absolute on it being wrong, i found feldbergs idea of putting pressure on the heel of the thumb to create erratic shorter flights.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
I've played a lot of terrible rounds trying to use a "proper" power grip, ala Feldberg. Looking at Avery's, it's a lot closer to what I'm comfortable with. I use the stacked/fork grip on everything and the rim sits below my middle finger bone, not between middle and index. Looking at it, it seems antithetical that it would be easier for me to get a nose-down flight, but it is.

I definitely have that gap with the heel of my hand well away from the disc.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Not very many. I think it helps to have big hands to grip like Avery does with the thumb. His grip also hurts my top thumb joint, but his grip does tend to help get the nose down.

I've always been switching my grips up and playing around with different things. Lately I've mostly been using MJ's fan grip with some pretty good results.

Try Robbie's 2 finger and MJ's fan grip, as well as a modified power grip and play around with different thumb pressures. Those should give you some different perspectives, but all should still be in the same distance range.
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Is the last guy on the vid being serious?

I don't hold it like AJ. Too little grip pressure at the base of the thumb really hurts my middle finger sometimes when the disc rips out. I use MJ's a little, but mostly it's a 3 finger power grip; my pinky is about an inch shorter than my ring finger, so it's really hard to get it on the rim.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:10 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 25
in all honesty does the style of grip really matter? wht I mean is if the disc is held firm enough to accelerate the disc and create the nose down angle then does it matter whether its a 2,3,4 finger grip? if the grip accomplishes those two things and works well for you and is comfortable then isn't it correct?