Old 09-18-2013, 11:33 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 4
Getting a lot of time in!

So, I finally decided to check out the course that's just over a mile from my apartment. Turned out to be a decent course. Especially for a nub like myself. Anyhoot. I've figured out that I'm pretty good for 200' with my Roc and Buzz. I've had several scary errant throws though. From what I could gather after searching around on here and elsewhere I'm "grip locking". Some of the best throws (length,line) came from grip lock. Unfortunately, they are pretty much thrown from 2 o'clock to 3 o'clock. Making them useless and potentially lost down the cliff into the river I adjusted my grip by putting my pinky on top of my ring finger and that seems to have helped. I stopped throwing my TL due to it always going way to left and no longer than the Roc/Buzz. All in all I'm pretty stoked as the more I play the better I get. Went from bogey heavy and maybe a par to more par heavy with the occasional bird!
Old 09-19-2013, 09:05 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.8
Throwing Style: RHFH
Too close not to play

Must be nice having a course that close to home.. I feel fortunate to have a VERY nice course about three miles from my house.. Its not the easiest course in town ( lots of water ) but it is one of the nicest imo..

I'm a newbie my self, and struggle with grip lock at times ( i know the feeling sending them off at 2 and 3 o'clock ).. a couple things I've done to try and help me are.
1. Trying to make sure I'm not starting my pull through to soon, making sure my front right foot is planted before I start pullthrough.
2. Loosening my grip a little.. firm but not gripping the heck out of it.
3. Switched from a 4 finger power grip to a three finger power grip, not using the pinky, this seems to help the disc rip from my hand as opposed to me "letting it go"

Thing I've also noticed is when I want to "Throw Far" and try to put a little extra power on my shot I'll end up sending them right, haven't figured this out yet.. my guess is I'm tightening my grip.. for now I seem to do better, throw further, when I try and keep things smooth and within my current abilities, not forcing things..
Old 09-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgar View Post
Must be nice having a course that close to home.. I feel fortunate to have a VERY nice course about three miles from my house.. Its not the easiest course in town ( lots of water ) but it is one of the nicest imo..

I'm a newbie my self, and struggle with grip lock at times ( i know the feeling sending them off at 2 and 3 o'clock ).. a couple things I've done to try and help me are.
1. Trying to make sure I'm not starting my pull through to soon, making sure my front right foot is planted before I start pullthrough.
2. Loosening my grip a little.. firm but not gripping the heck out of it.
3. Switched from a 4 finger power grip to a three finger power grip, not using the pinky, this seems to help the disc rip from my hand as opposed to me "letting it go"

Thing I've also noticed is when I want to "Throw Far" and try to put a little extra power on my shot I'll end up sending them right, haven't figured this out yet.. my guess is I'm tightening my grip.. for now I seem to do better, throw further, when I try and keep things smooth and within my current abilities, not forcing things..
I think that's where my problem comes in. Usually happens when I'm trying to put some extra power into it. Might be gripping down harder to compensate for something. I dunno. I changed my grip to what sounds like the same thing you're using. 3 fingers with the pinky on my ring finger instead of the disc. I'm pretty stoked about having the course so near. I should probably do a review on it. The reviews on here have labeled it in a bad light. After talking with some folks on the course the bad reviews stood true a few years ago when the last reviews were done, but nowadays it's not as bad. Only homeless fella I've seen plays a few times a day. He's got the most wild way of throwing. His form and mechanics of the throw are hilarious, but it works for him. Any hoot. I'm enjoying it. I'm glad I made the decision to stop throwing the TL. My Rocs and Buzz are plenty good for me ATM.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:25 PM
500 PDGA Certified Missed Aces Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 57
Throwing Style: RHBH
Speaking solely for myself, when I try to give it that extra oomph, I end up pulling away from my body, which rotates your point of release. Smooth form...let the disc do the work.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:01 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHFH
Control > Power