Old 09-17-2013, 02:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 366
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
A map is a wonderful tool. I wish that it was easier for newbies to locate the maps on the course pages here. I think instead of "Links/Files" tab, put a link on the course page directly to the map, like the link to the GPS coordinates. (I know it's one click instead of two...but it helps )

I don't think I've ever gotten lost on a new course when I had a good map.
Great idea to make maps more visible and more easily accessibly here.

This might be the post that ends up making the most difference in this entire thread. I'm going to put this quote into the suggestions area.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:55 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
A map is a wonderful tool. I wish that it was easier for newbies to locate the maps on the course pages here. I think instead of "Links/Files" tab, put a link on the course page directly to the map, like the link to the GPS coordinates. (I know it's one click instead of two...but it helps )

I don't think I've ever gotten lost on a new course when I had a good map.
That would be helpful for any Google'rs or new members.

I know I use the heck out of it myself when I head out to a new course. Find as much details as I can the night before so I dont waste any time the day of finding the next hole. It is frustrating not being able to find your way around a course after you have driven out of your way to play it.

I usually gather up a course map, scorecard and driving directions in case my GPS has any issues along the way. That way I am ready to enjoy a fun round of golf at a new course.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:02 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 815
Throwing Style: RHBH
Maps on the course pages are huge, I use them constantly, and often download all the ones that I might be playing on a trip to the phone so I can still access them without internet. That helps us traveling players a ton. It still doesn't help the brand new family who can't find hole 3 so they give up. If your course has a nice map online, print and laminate it and post it at your course. Something as simple as that can go a long way.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Yup - I often will snap a picture of the map on the Kiosk and doing that has come in handy a few times as a navigation aid.

Before I had a camera-phone, I would jot down the "clock position" (9 is right angle left, 1 is slight right, 12 is dead ahead, 7 is backtrack to the left, etc) of the next tee as seen when looking down the fairway I just completed.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Should be noted as part of the discussion -- great signs don't yet exist for DG. Some fairly decent ones, ones that do the job, ones that impress people who haven't seen a great one or even a very decent one.... but there are no great signs yet. Great signs would do a lot for the game.

Now commence posting some sorta-decent signs that impress you
Old 09-17-2013, 03:44 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAMson View Post
Should be noted as part of the discussion -- great signs don't yet exist for DG. Some fairly decent ones, ones that do the job, ones that impress people who haven't seen a great one or even a very decent one.... but there are no great signs yet. Great signs would do a lot for the game.

Now commence posting some sorta-decent signs that impress you
Good to great signs are awesome, I'm always really impressed when obvious effort has gone into signs and they're informative and accurate. I think that it's more important to push for all courses to have basic signage than it is to focus on improving on the ones that already have good signage.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 30
It occurs to me that basket makers could add a locking "arrow" to the top of baskets to point the way to the next tee. If you have multiple basket locations, you unlock the arrow, twist it to the new orientation, and lock it in place again.

Of course, you could easily add something like this to an existing basket, but if it doesn't lock, some idiot might point it in the wrong direction just to screw with people.

I think Zach's right: nobody's seen a truly great sign.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 167
If you scare away a first time player because of poor signage we all lose. Its not just about the traveler. Most travelers will spend additional time looking for the holes. Beginners wont. Always have some type of directional signage...it is so easy and cheap to do...just takes a small tiny amount of effort by "someone." Tee signs with distances, not quite as important but still good to have.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
If you scare away a first time player because of poor signage we all lose.
Not those among us who want fewer people on the courses.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:47 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 57
[QUOTE=BogeyNoMore;2174252]

All a tee marker needs to do is let you know:
"Hey, there's a tee here! It's # 6, 345 ft, and the pin's thataway."

I agree. The course that caused me to start this thread would have benefited greatly from just a 4x4 post at each tee with a hole # and distance. Anything beyond that would be gravy. With small concrete pads sitting down in lush mowed grass, any sort of an upright marker would have been a plus.