Disc Golf Store
Old 07-26-2013, 01:48 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 56
Throwing Style: RHBH
Throwing from a standstill

I hear the advice "throw from a standstill" almost more than anything else.

1. Why is this, other than reducing the number of variables?

2. I think working so much from a standstill really screwed up my throw. 1 step (front side only) is doing so many things for me, I don't tell anyone to throw from a standstill anymore. I tell them all to start on their rear side and step into the throw.

-It seems like there are several things that are necessary to throw a disc well that a standstill doesn't touch at all. In particular, working around the disc. But also, I'm finding that my backswing is created by the step I take into the throw after my rear side has planted.

*** I don't know if I'm throwing better or worse with the new things I'm doing (it's really all about stepping past the disc); but it sounds more like what I've been told to do.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 45
It is a more accurate physical motion. It has a greater accuracy potential than step throws do.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:52 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
I hear the advice "throw from a standstill" almost more than anything else.

1. Why is this, other than reducing the number of variables?

2. I think working so much from a standstill really screwed up my throw. 1 step (front side only) is doing so many things for me, I don't tell anyone to throw from a standstill anymore. I tell them all to start on their rear side and step into the throw.

-It seems like there are several things that are necessary to throw a disc well that a standstill doesn't touch at all. In particular, working around the disc. But also, I'm finding that my backswing is created by the step I take into the throw after my rear side has planted.

*** I don't know if I'm throwing better or worse with the new things I'm doing (it's really all about stepping past the disc); but it sounds more like what I've been told to do.
Standstill doesn't mean no weight transfer. A 1-step is basically the same as standstill, it just forces you to shift your weight back to front, since your front isn't in contact with the ground at the beginning of your throw.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:53 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
It is a more accurate physical motion. It has a greater accuracy potential than step throws do.
That has not been my experience. I know it should be (less moving parts), but when I do a standstill, everything seems like it has to be perfect before I throw, or it's not going anywhere good. When I step into it, I just need to feel like I'm stepping toward my target; something good usually happens.

This is even my experience putting. I can't control my distance, so I don't do it competitively, but I'm far more accurate when I step to my target, and I release more cleanly also.

*I suppose "potential" makes your statement absolutely correct, but I'm not sure that's pertinent to the conversation at hand (using it as a training tool).
Old 07-26-2013, 01:56 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
That has not been my experience. I know it should be (less moving parts), but when I do a standstill, everything seems like it has to be perfect before I throw, or it's not going anywhere good. When I step into it, I just need to feel like I'm stepping toward my target; something good usually happens.

This is even my experience putting. I can't control my distance, so I don't do it competitively, but I'm far more accurate when I step to my target, and I release more cleanly also.
I am with you. I don't really like the feel of a standstill either. It makes me think too hard about what I am doing. When I add a step my muscle memory takes over and I just do what I want to do.

I have seen people who primarily throw from a standstill, and what I have noticed is that they are very aware of the motions they are making, but its also very fluid and it is easy to watch their shift in weight, with a nice fluid follow through. Someone who does it well is fun to watch.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Individual abilities do not necessarily prove or disprove something, it may just be an indication of needing practice

Watch the fourth drive in this video. Weight transfer is obvious, though I'm flicking from a standstill.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Standstill boss in this one.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 42
I throw from a standstill because of knee problems but it has enabled me to really dial in my form. My focus for the first year of standstill was able to be solely on fundamentals because I eliminated some big moving parts. As a result I am able to be competitive with both distance and accuracy in the Open division (sortve) even without the run-up.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 7
A standstill throw is just the very end of a full throw. It's not a separate technique. The point of starting from a standstill is to make sure that part is correct. It forces you to shift your weight correctly. With a full x-step you can throw weight back but still follow through because you have inertia. With a stand still throw you have to throw weight forward or else it won't really work. Plus, you then have a great way to power down and a lot more options for shots pop up.

FWIW, I find it's easiest to start with one step to help you get the weight shift started. Once you get the feel for what that shift feels like and where your weight should be at the hit you can do it from a standstill much easier.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by garublador View Post
A standstill throw is just the very end of a full throw. It's not a separate technique. The point of starting from a standstill is to make sure that part is correct. It forces you to shift your weight correctly. With a full x-step you can throw weight back but still follow through because you have inertia. With a stand still throw you have to throw weight forward or else it won't really work. Plus, you then have a great way to power down and a lot more options for shots pop up.

FWIW, I find it's easiest to start with one step to help you get the weight shift started. Once you get the feel for what that shift feels like and where your weight should be at the hit you can do it from a standstill much easier.
yup, since I've worked on standstill throws, my upshots have gained WAY more accuracy, and i wasn't even focused on them. It was a by product of working on standstill purely for longer distance throws. But better technique across the board makes more accuracy across the board too.