Old 10-31-2008, 08:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 54
Looking to play in San Antonio , TX

I am going to be in San Antonio on Nov. 15th for a wedding. I plan on getting up Sunday morning on the 16th and hitting a course before I leave town. Anyone have any suggestions on which course to play? I can only play one, because I made a deal with the wife, that if I get to play disc golf, I have to take her to the River Walk later that afternoon.

Also, my wife dosen't play, she just watches, so if anyone in the area would like to team up and play a round with me , that would be cool. I like playing new courses with someone that already knows the course.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2008, 11:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Nobody knows of any good courses in or around San Antonio?
Old 11-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.5
Courses Played: 304
Did you search the Course Directory for San Antonio? I think that Live Oak is regarded as the best course in SA. I last played it in 2001 and rated it 7 out of 10 (3.5 on DGCR). I recently played McClain and liked it. I also rated it 7 out of 10 (3.5 on DGCR). I think you'll be satisfied with with either one. Skip Universal City. Those are the only 3 SA courses I've played.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.5
Courses Played: 304
I asked the same question here, and also got no response. I guess that there aren't any San Antonio players on here.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:31 AM
* Ace Member *

I am leaning towards playing Mc Clain. I have been to their website and looked at the course online and looks like a nice course. I just figured if I am going to be in the area, I would like to try to find some disc golf before I go home.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:36 AM

depends on what type of course you want to play. McClain is a lot more difficult then Live Oak. Live oak for the most part is fairly open and long. Most drives are to an open area with baskets tucked back in harder to reach spots. McClain is way more technical. Shots are usually always tight and require a bit of shaping. I like them both Live Oak has tons of holes; maybe 36 or so, there are holes that they don't include in their course layout. McClain will always give you challenge. Either way your good.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigarm View Post
depends on what type of course you want to play. McClain is a lot more difficult then Live Oak. Live oak for the most part is fairly open and long. Most drives are to an open area with baskets tucked back in harder to reach spots. McClain is way more technical. Shots are usually always tight and require a bit of shaping. I like them both Live Oak has tons of holes; maybe 36 or so, there are holes that they don't include in their course layout. McClain will always give you challenge. Either way your good.
It said that Live Oak has some water hazards. How bad are they?
Old 11-03-2008, 06:48 PM

It's huge lake and if you are a forehand player you're probably going in the water, I've lost about 5 discs there.
Personally I think McClain is the best course in Sa although if you are down south go to peasall its tight.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckB View Post
It's huge lake and if you are a forehand player you're probably going in the water, I've lost about 5 discs there.
Personally I think McClain is the best course in Sa although if you are down south go to peasall its tight.

I am going to be in Devine on Saturday for the wedding, but I am spending Saturday night in San Antonio. I like technical courses, and from the pics I have seen of Mc Clain, it looks like it might just fit the bill. I only can play one round, because the wife wants to go to the River Walk, so that is the deal we have.

Is there a Holiday Inn or Holiday Inn Express anywhere near that course?

Old 11-04-2008, 10:45 AM

If you want technical McClain is your course. And for the water hazards on Live Oak. There are only 3 holes were water plays and it's not that hard to avoid and still birdie. I would go with McClain I play out there as much as I can; it will always teach you something or at least humble you. I don't think there is a holiday inn around. The addy for the course is: 15806 O'Connor Road 78247. Throw that in google maps and see. The only place I can think of a hotel being is 281/1604 which is just a few mins. away. Hampton inn.