Old 09-16-2013, 11:48 PM

Question Putting from up close.

Okay so most threads are about tips for being a better putter and making longer putts but I have the opposite problem as of lately. I am completely rebuilding my game trying to emphasize form above all else and it's worked well so far. My problem lies with close up putts though the 10-12 ft. gimmes end up missing high or missing low. Is this just a nerves thing or is their something I can do to help alleviate it. Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2013, 12:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHBH
If I miss a close putt it's because I didn't aim or take my time & think it through. If I take a few seconds to set-up my stance & aim at a chain link I will nail those short one's with ease. I believe that no matter how close or far away you are when putting to always do the same routine every time whether it's a 5' or 30' putt. It can also just be a problem with nerves. If I don't feel right about a putt I will get outta my stance, take a deep breath, get back into my stance then go for it. You have 30 seconds to throw so take advantage of that time if you need it.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:26 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 19
Im betting its just nerves man. Clear your mind,remember to still follow through and stare that sucker all the way in to the bottom of the cage!
Old 09-17-2013, 12:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 102
Just walk up and smash it into the heart of the chains. It's that easy. Don't over think it.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:46 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Don't over think it.
^^^^^ agreed^^^^^^
Old 09-17-2013, 09:02 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 45
I think sometimes people end up missing short putts because they are trying to use their full putting motion and "take something off of it" which occasionally results in ridiculous looking putts that hit the bottom of the cage from 10 feet. I struggled with this myself at one point. Now if i have a short putt from 10-15 feet i switch to a putt that limits the force i'm putting on my putt naturally. Instead of rocking back and through i load all my weight on my front foot and limit the moving pieces of my routine, just tossing it in with my arm. Now I can't remember the last time i missed a ten footer.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:25 AM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 75
When you're practicing and when you warm up before the round, make sure to do some short putts instead of just focusing on the long ones. It's very easy to lose your rhythm and muscle memory when you don't make an effort to warm up those short putts.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Just walk up and smash it into the heart of the chains. It's that easy. Don't over think it.
As rude as this likely comes across, since chances are the OP was wanting some technique, or something. This is 100% correct. These putts are gimme's until you start thinking about it too much. I miss at least 1 a round by talking myself out of being confident. Don't give yourself that chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post
When you're practicing and when you warm up before the round, make sure to do some short putts instead of just focusing on the long ones. It's very easy to lose your rhythm and muscle memory when you don't make an effort to warm up those short putts.
I don't even practice putt outside 20' before a round. And i don't practice outside 30' ever really. I want to make EVERY putt before a round to build confidence, so I start at 5-10' and hit a bunch, then roll out to 15' and make a bunch of putts. I might throw 20', but only if i'm really feeling good. One miss and back to 15' to finish on a high note. Whenever I do this, I putt WAY better in the round. If i fall into putting like everyone else's warmup (25-35' putts) i miss, and then during round, I get shaky on the short ones too.

Last edited by wake911; 09-17-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:54 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 104
try closing your eyes.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:59 AM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 56
When I was learning how to putt, I started at 3', where I could basically touch chain. I hammered them in, and only moved back when I knew I could.