Old 09-25-2013, 06:57 PM
Bogey Member

Timing foot plant

So, after watching some videos, I went out and tried the pivot hop step in my run up. I found that it makes my motion feel more powerful and fluid, but I ran into one issue. My plant foot was planting way too open and I was losing all the power I was trying to create. I have had this issue in my x step as well, but, slow steps helped me plant straighter. Is there anyone else out there having this issue of planting too open? Any tips on drills or things that helped you fix the issue?
Old 09-25-2013, 07:51 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Try not looking at your target. Line up with your right side facing the target. Keep your head straight or looking down, with your nose in line with your belly button.

Do your X step and plant and throw. You might be turning your hips, torso, shoulders too soon and your feet are following. Your body will follow your head so not turning it will keep your body from turning and you should be able to plant that foot 90 degrees from your target a little easier.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Birdie Member

Try and focus on the toes of your front foot touching ground first. You'll have a hard time balancing if your lead foot is pointing towards the target if you do. Make sense?
Old 09-25-2013, 11:42 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 36
Sometimes you can get into bad rhythms & positions during your x-step and not know it. Work on a stand & deliver with your feet in the right positions. Get the shoulder & hip rotation solid, and establish a standard release point. Then add in the x-step one step at a time.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:38 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by teemkey View Post
Sometimes you can get into bad rhythms & positions during your x-step and not know it. Work on a stand & deliver with your feet in the right positions. Get the shoulder & hip rotation solid, and establish a standard release point. Then add in the x-step one step at a time.
Does the shoulder and hip turn in unison, or does the hip turn first? I'm thinking you get more power if the hip went first like a whip but I seem to have a more solid swing when they turn together.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 81
force yourself to take shorter steps and to stand up taller until the plant. Then lean into your pull through.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:49 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 36
Hips start the torso turning. Best to watch the pros in slow motion.

Lead Card at European Open

Last edited by teemkey; 09-28-2013 at 12:51 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:43 AM
Michael Moore Fan Club President

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 33
Legs and Hips are initiating the turning of the core and shoulders. It might look like they are turning together but the power transfers from the ground up. Your only connection to create power runs through your feet connected to the earth.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:50 PM

I have noticed the pros whip of their arm is synchronized with the pivot on their heel. Foot and arm seem to whip and pivot at the same time.