Old 06-03-2013, 04:25 PM

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 36
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Yahoo to Ltocadisco
Cool Highbridge Hills - Wisconsin

I recently made a trip up to High Bridge from the Chicago area based in part on the high rankings of the Granite and Blueberry courses. This course is rated very highly on this page, but it was run down, needed mowing, and there was quite a lot of garbage all over the course and the honka house. We tried very hard to communicate with the owner, but the give and take was not there. The place should probably not be open until it is ready, because it could be awesome but it was underwhelming to say the least.

I am just wondering what is going on with it?

Are my expectations too high?

Did we come too early in the spring? This was 5/30-5/31?

Is the ranking system fair? Is somebody gaming the numbers?
Old 06-03-2013, 04:41 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 750
When those courses are mowed and kept up, they're a blast. I haven't played up there when it's not mowed and maintained, but that would make a huge difference. I think John's dreams are a lot bigger than his available time for not only doing that maintenance but expanding the facilities up there.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:48 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 133
I have only played there once, and that was about 2 years ago. The Honka House was interesting, to say the least and not at all what we were expecting. Biggest problem is that John was trying to maintain most everything alone...and that's just too much for one guy. It does surprise me a little about the lack of communication becasue when we were there all he wanted to do was talk and talk and talk and talk. He was always around.

All that being said, We arrived on a Monday and played Blueberry which was in the process of being mowed. Played Granite Ridge the next day and it was mowed and awesome. Then we played Blueberry again and it was awesome.

In essence, I can completely understand how it has become a bit run-down. I hate to hear it though. Granite Ridge was my favorite, and definitely one of the 2 best courses I have ever played. Blueberry and the Gold Course are not far behind so I wouldn't say the ratings are inflated. Maybe you just had some unlucky timing or (most likely) the scope of up-keep has simply passed John's capabilities.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:20 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.1
Courses Played: 569
If Highbridge has had the same late and wet spring as other areas in the Upper Midwest, they would be as far behind on mowing in particular and other projects where vehicles can't go yet due to soft (and wet) ground.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 83
Agree with Chuck in regards of weather. Give them a chance.

Last year he had several helpers/ workers attempting to keep everything running. We have stayed in the Honka house twice and I have to admit that it was greatly improved last year. Sadly the rest of the complex seems to be falling apart. I remembered Blueberry being better than what we played last year, but Granite was more fun than I remembered.

However, and leaving it at this, I have heard enough rumors about the place that my last time out lowered my estimation of the place and I am not sure I am going to bother making that trip again. But that is just me, and I have more on my wish list to hit first before I need to reconsider.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:30 PM

I had a similar experience as the OP. Last year a friend and I drove up there in middle august. There was almost zero up keep. We spent more time looking for discs than enjoying the courses. I could see a lot of potential but I too the owner is stretched to thin. Instead of 7 courses, how about 2 that are well maintained. I really wanted to love the place. I would like to get back there but have a hard time getting over the first experience. Going to take a pilgrimage to Rollin Ridge this year and hit up a few courses in that area. A couple hours further to drive but I can't imagine being disappointed.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.9
Courses Played: 363
Throwing Style: LHBH
Timely info for me as I am (was?) planning to make the pilgrimage this coming weekend....but can also make the trip on the weekend of 6/22. A lot is weather-dependent, but also mosquitoes and maintenance/mowing I figured would be worse later than earlier.

I usually have low expectations for mowing (and amenities) factoring into my enjoyment of a course.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:38 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 76
I will be there the weekend of the 22nd, I hope it is maintained well. Last time I was there it was great, and the courses were very well kept
Old 06-03-2013, 08:20 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 87
I played up there last summer, and had a blast. John and his crew were very nice and helpful. They worked into the dark cutting the grass, however it's a lot of property to maintain, and with the weather this year I can understand it being a bit out of control. We stayed in the bunk house, which lived up to it's name. I've played a lot of the top courses on this site, and I think Highbridge deserves it's high rating.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:21 PM

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 36
Send a message via Yahoo to Ltocadisco
Yeah the Bunkhouse was Bunk. But I would definitely separate the course from the accommodations to be fair. And it kept the rain off our heads, so that was nice.