Old 12-03-2013, 10:48 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Whistlers Bend

Whistlers Bend just outside of Roseburg is one of the sickest courses I have ever played and I would say probably in the whole world, it is so unique and on another level. It ranks second after Milo for the courses I have played. Amazing location right by the river, epic downhill shots not just the top of the world but hole 9 is such an awesome downhill hole with the basket right on the edge of a steep hill leading down to the river. tight wooded shots with nice variation. It feels like another world while playing Whistlers, you are very secluded on a beautiful piece of land with rolling hills and a picturesque river, I never saw another group while I played. This course will challenge and test even the best of players. It is an adventure in itself to get to play whistlers bend and is definitely worth it to travel to come play it.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:15 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 16
I love whistlers. I live in eugene but am from medford. Anytime I am making a trip home I go out and play whistlers. I got in a round early thanksgiving morning. The weather was so crappy on the way there. I came over the hill to the course and it was clear and warm. I hit basket on hole 1 and 12 and shot my personal best +3. I love the course. I've also played milo but much prefer whistlers bend.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:51 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 4
Whistlers is the cats meow. The bees knees. I love it out there. I live in Roseburg so it's kinda my home course. Though I spend more time in town at River Front, due to sheer convenience. Usually, I try to make a trip out to Whistlers at least once a week.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 256
I think the course is slightly overrated due to the Top of the World shot and the scenery.
Hole 9 is SWEET though, as is Hole 7 (if memory serves me correctly).

My issue with the course is it ends LAME. The front 9 is awesome, but the back 9 seems like it's only there to get you to the top of the world shot and then back to the parking lot. The last 4 holes are awful. (16 and 18 especially).

Milo is definitely a better course!
DSCJNKY
Old 12-04-2013, 04:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSCJNKY View Post
I think the course is slightly overrated due to the Top of the World shot and the scenery.

My issue with the course is it ends LAME. The front 9 is awesome, but the back 9 seems like it's only there to get you to the top of the world shot and then back to the parking lot. The last 4 holes are awful. (16 and 18 especially).

DSCJNKY
I have to agree somewhat with Dscjunky here. The setting of Whistler's is incredible, and it does have some absolutely fantastic holes, but it also has a few uninteresting holes, as well as a bit of an issue with calibration (i.e. who the course is intended for). Holes 16 and 18, as dscjunky mentions, are basically open and 500+ ft. long. These holes may be acceptable (scoring spread) par 3's on a gold-level course, but some of the holes on the front 9 are not gold-level holes (for example holes 1 and 3). Edit: also, a number of specific holes and pin positions are quite luck-based, and lack defined flight routes or require too much angular accuracy.

Yes, Whistler's is awesome, but Milo is indeed better.

Last edited by jeverett; 12-04-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSCJNKY View Post

DSCJNKY
last 4 holes lame?? 15 is an awesome shot. 16 is fun because it is a long bomb where you want to place it in the middle without fading left to the road, 17 is a nice little downhill shot with a sidearm and backhand route and the basket on the hill leaving some risk reward. and 18 is just another fun hole that you can really pump one out there at full power (also its pretty cool because the road leads into the teebox so u can have a super long run up if u want).
Old 12-04-2013, 05:51 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 37
I just moved to Sutherlin in the last month so I am local to this course now. (though I had played it a couple years ago. We camped out just to play it)

I agree with most of what has been said but I don't mind the last couple holes. The thing that the course is missing until the last few holes is the long bomb/open hole.

I feel like it's one of those things where you can't please everybody. If those 2 long wide open holes weren't there people would complain that the course lacks those long bomber type holes. (other than 14, but it is so steep you have to alter your shot so it isn't your standard let it rip type hole).

I have to assume that people are referring to hole 16 and 18. Those are the 2 500ft, wide open holes. Hole 17 is slightly down hill, short with a line through the gap in the trees or you can throw a anny/flick around the edge. It's definitely not a long wide open hole.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 1149
A great course that I thoroughly enjoyed, enough so that I played a second round immediately, I have it placed in my top 30ish. But when it comes to the conversation of the best course ever, I'm not bringing it up, fairly meh in comparrison to what's out there, imo.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 44
Whistler's is a very nice, high quality course. Comparing it with Milo isn't really fair because Milo is one of the top gold-level courses anywhere. Whistler's doesn't really have the same level of variation, length, and flow that Milo does. The biggest complaint I have about Whistler's in comparison is that the front 9 basically feels like the same hole 9 times. The lengths are similar, and they are all similarly wooded. Milo never has that problem. Each hole has its own identity, which is one of the signatures of a great course.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar View Post

I feel like it's one of those things where you can't please everybody. If those 2 long wide open holes weren't there people would complain that the course lacks those long bomber type holes. (other than 14, but it is so steep you have to alter your shot so it isn't your standard let it rip type hole).
I will respectfully disagree. There are already holes on the course that emphasize and reward distance. Holes 16 and 18 are bad holes, basically soccer field practice throws. I've played this course 4-5 times, and it's disappointing to know that after Hole 14's adrenaline rush, your round is basically over.

As for Milo McIver, I like the scenery, and throwing an epic 700+ foot hole now and then can be fun. But variety? Really? There are five wooded holes and 22 long, open holes that feel like ball golf (mainly because it used to be a ball golf course).

I love playing in Oregon and look forward to trips out there. Milo, Timber, Whistler's, Dexter, Pier Park, Dabney, Bryant Park, Horning's Hideout, Stub Stewart... and there are a lot of great ones I haven't visited. Get there if you haven't been.

Having said that...Whistler's Bend, Milo McIver, and Meadow Ridge all made appearances in the top 10 and one point or another, and all rightfully have dropped out.