Disc Golf Center
Old 09-19-2013, 04:06 AM
Michael Moore Fan Club President

Years Playing: 23.1
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I've recommended throwing clubs, bats, stools, hammers and sledgehammers as a drill and also going through the throw in a pool. I'm not sure about a weighted disc though, because of where the weight is, it doesn't accentuate the concept of throwing a disc like a hammer. The weighted disc would still be good syncing up the core.
I had the idea of throwing a hammer too. I also thought about making a weighted disc by taking a bag of sand and duct taping it to the inside of one side of the disc. I'm initially going to continue to test this theory out though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
Waiting to hear your results!
Yep, me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigium View Post
Hmm, interesting. I have my lower body out of sync too, I don't really gain power from my legs/hips as much as from my upper body rotation. Maybe I should develop something heavier to throw during the winter(here winter means 3'-4' of soft snow for 5-7 months, not ideal for discing I'd say).
We only have snow here for 4-6 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
Ah, that's what I was going to suggest. Seems like throwing a hammer or putting weights on the opposite end of a disc (that you grip from) would be more akin to putting donuts on a bat than just a uniform weight.
Yeah I might take a disc and tape some sand inside to make model 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knettles View Post
Ya, I just worry the weight is too different in too many ways to help you. I feel like the best practice for throwing discs is actually throwing discs. The same shape, grip, weight, and throw.

I don't think you mentioned much, but how accurate are your throws? There's a big difference in someone who can only throw 300' accurately and consistently and someone who can only throw 300' not very well.
The weight is for sure different but thats the whole point. I have struggled to make any changes just throwing discs. Tried everything. This was the first time I really felt the muscles forced to work differently.

My accuracy is OK. With more power it would be nice to throw a slower Mid or Putter 300 to gain more accuracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
Just please be careful with this, whatever you do. Sounds like a rotator cuff injury just waiting to happen
I was initially worried about this as well but so far so good. I really felt the core working much more and much less arm which I think is good.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:01 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.8
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHFH
Might be cool to see a video off you throwing your weighted disc..good luck keep us posted
Old 09-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieMachine View Post
We only have snow here for 4-6 months.
Luckers!

jk, but snow helps you to keep your putting in order, not really anything else to do with discs in winter.

I might sacrifice a buzzz(I throw rocs now) for a weighed disc. Maybe weld some lead to the other side and screw and glue it there.

Last edited by Prodigium; 09-19-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:51 PM

Quick Update. Got 18 holes in this morning before we got rained out. I did get a bit more distance and accuracy already, probably 5-10 feet. Nothing major yet but I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:22 PM

Day 9 update- Form is improving and so is power. Getting Teebirds to 315'. So 25' improvement. My next goal is 330'. The weight throwing overall has helped, It taught me to really pinch hard and accelerate gradually. Things are going slow but progressing day to day.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:37 PM
Par Member

Wait, are you just throwing that weight plate, or have you attached it to the bottom or top of your disc? I though you meant the former, but how do you grip it? I would think the latter would be better option, you could grip the disc normally, it would just weight more. Actually I think I have to test this myself if I can find somekind of weight somewhere...
Old 09-27-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jouni View Post
Wait, are you just throwing that weight plate, or have you attached it to the bottom or top of your disc? I though you meant the former, but how do you grip it? I would think the latter would be better option, you could grip the disc normally, it would just weight more. Actually I think I have to test this myself if I can find somekind of weight somewhere...
Yeah I'm just throwing the weight. Just really power gripping it in hand. I think attaching it inside a disc could be cooler too. I have noticed it messes with my timing so I really dont throw discs right after. I just work on the things Im trying to change when I throw the weight. Hope this helps.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 44
cool concept to get your hips and lower body involved. I like your idea of not throwing a disc directly after due to the timing issues. Probably better to not re-enforce that timing issue.

I see this doing a couple of things positive.
1) Grip strength will increase
2) You will injure yourself if you try to throw with all arm, thus forcing you to use full body, which is good.
3) overall core strength, and shoulder strength increases can only help distance.

The easiest way to learn to throw farther? Stop caring about where it goes. You need a healthy amount of "I don't care where this goes" practice mixed in with "ok, now this one is for accuracy" practice to get more distance.

You should see some of my max d practice throws...they go FOREVER but at a 45deg angle to one side or the other. haha. but the things i learn from those throws assist in adding to my golf distance.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:51 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 0.9
Courses Played: 9
Some help....

As a personal trainer and a massage therapist there are some really good ideas here and some things that may be not so good in the long run.

The good:
Your power is going to increase as your moving a heavy object quickly.
Your core and hips are being involved more than ever, which will contribute to much more power than your arm

The not so good:
Unless you are being very conscious of your form and muscle engagement your rotator cuff is definitely tanking undue stress. This is a max power pulling movement so this needs to be done from the core,hips, legs and back.... The arm is just relaxed and there to spin the disc really. Your core needs to develop to match your hip turn which needs to align with weight transfer

Doing pull-ups, rows with body weight and side planks is a great way to build functional power to assist in disc golf, specifically driving. Also developing acceleration At the end NOT the beginning is key, so a drill you could do is the towel drill (mikec has vids on this, thediscgolfvids on you tube) or take that drill and use a longer 1" rope and try to snap the whole length say 10 to 12ft past your body... You can't do that with a fast beginning, must have the end as well.

Let me know if you want a video to help and I will make one to help with your swing, all based on body weight movements.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
I would agree. Muscle power is the least important part of the throw, it can add a little bit to an already good throw but it's way less important than proper form and timing. It also makes you go a lot slower so you're not getting the quick acceleration you want in a disc golf throw.
I remember my big light-bulb day about 3 months into semi-regular play. One of the dads in my group brought his 11 yr. old daughter (arms like Olive Oil) and she was driving a consistent 300' which translated to outdriving me by 50-75' per hole.

It was then that I realized strength wasn't the 'main' factor on distance. I disced down, hit youtube, and eventually got it.