Old 10-14-2016, 03:52 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Default Is there a market for smaller backpack style bags?

I have been contemplating making a disc golf bag. I have some contacts in a bag manufacturing company overseas and I'm fairly sure I can get my idea made for about 25 dollars a bag. Other cost factors and profit taken into consideration, I believe my selling point would be at about 60 dollars.

I have an artist sketching out my plan, but I wanted input from you all.

Basically, I want to create an extremely lightweight backpack bag for your basic daily rounds at a local course. This is not designed to be a tournament ready backpack. In my mind, I want to create the NutSac of the backpack market.

the bag will carry 8-11 discs plus a dedicated putter pocket. Other non negotiables for me are a mini pocket and a dedicated and safe place for wallet/keys/phone. I plan to include a bottle holder, but Im not sure i want to go full 32oz nalgene size in an effort to keep size small.

My idea came after seeing the Upper Park Focus. The design and product is completely different, but created for the same type of person. I have used that bag and find the design atrocious, but the concept sound

I know that I can create something I want at a price I'd be willing to pay. the question is, would anyone else want it? thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2016, 04:25 PM

My ideal bag is a small backpack. 12-14 disc max. Must have bottle holder. Must have a little storage room, enough for a small towel, maybe a long sleeve t-shirt plus a spot for wallet, keys, phone ( phone safe from keys scratching). One or two upper putter pockets would be big too. Oh and cant be falling over all the time.

Someone should capitalize on a setup where its like, you can use this secondary space for more discs or for a towel/shirt/extra water. More compartmentalized I guess.

Grip c series is close but no side pockets sucks. Planning to buy the shift when they restock the color I want.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:31 PM
Par Member

The c15 grip is just still a rather bulky bag for my tastes. I like the focus in terms of utility but the design is horrific in my opinion. wasted space, but the overall capacity is inline with what I want.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 6

I would like a backpack that is essentially a Grip C with a working putter pocket and side storage instead of dumbo-esque drink holders
Old 10-14-2016, 05:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 77

Gotta have a Nalgene/Hydroflask size bottle pocket. And putters up top.
Old 10-14-2016, 05:19 PM
Par Member

I guess I forget people live in hilly areas, but i dont need 30oz of water for my hour long round of disc golf. something to consider i suppose.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:30 PM

2 32oz water bottke holders or its a no go for me. Even for a hour long casual round it gets hot and humid on the east coast.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 43

Interesting idea! I used to have a Shift which I liked a lot. Maybe it had wasted space, but I could put snacks, jacket, extra discs, etc. in that big bottom space so it was useful to me. I sold it to a friend recently and bought a Rebel (I needed a more comfortable tournament bag). One nice thing about the Shift was despite it being fairly small capacity (and super light), the bottom was big enough that it stood up pretty well. It had 3 feet instead of 4, so you had to be careful how you set it down on hillsides, but mostly it stood up well. Does the bag you're planning on making have a big enough base to stand up?

I also always carry around a 32 oz water bottle but it's a Contigo not a Nalgene so it's slightly taller and not quite as wide. I already have a Fossa Zoma for a small bag which doesn't have a large enough holder for my water bottle. Any medium sized bag I get would have to be able to fit my bottle or it's no dice.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:00 PM
* Ace Member *

I love this idea. This is something missing right now.

Everything sounds great. Will it stand up?

Old 10-14-2016, 08:08 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 127

Already covered by a large part of any normal backpack. I have one that is going on liken5 years old i paid $30 for at local big box retailer.