Old 09-19-2013, 08:00 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: LHBH
Met a Pro Today

What a day... Playing in Florida today, as I was leaving a course my son said "there is Paul McBeth"!! He(Paul) was getting out of his car to play a round. I was suprised my son would know this but he was right. I asked Paul if it was him, he said "yes".
Paul was kind enough to sign an Aviar my son loves to use, which is now a wall hanger. I was very impressed with the Pro I met today. Not just because he signed a disc(which was great and amazing) but because he was kind enough to take time out of his day and invest in the sport and my son. Paul, if you read this, thank you for taking a moment to make our day a little more amazing.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
This is what the sport needs more pros to act like in my opinion. Too many of our top players lack the professionalism that is needed to not only gain themselves respect, but also to gain respect for this sport. From what I have heard, Paul McBeth is one of the few truly classy guys on tour. We need more stories like this to rise to the surface.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:09 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutz167 View Post
This is what the sport needs more pros to act like in my opinion. Too many of our top players lack the professionalism that is needed to not only gain themselves respect, but also to gain respect for this sport. From what I have heard, Paul McBeth is one of the few truly classy guys on tour. We need more stories like this to rise to the surface.
All the negative stories about pros I've heard are about their on-course behavior or their interaction with TDs. I don't think I've ever heard of a pro who wasn't approachable and friendly when they weren't in the middle of competing for their food and gas money to get to the next tournament. I think it's great that Paul was friendly and accommodating, I've heard similar stories about some of the pros who are most maligned on here including Nikko and Avery.

That doesn't mean that I endorse the bad behavior on the course, I just think it's a totally separate discussion.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:22 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondguy View Post
What a day... Playing in Florida today, as I was leaving a course my son said "there is Paul McBeth"!! He(Paul) was getting out of his car to play a round. I was suprised my son would know this but he was right. I asked Paul if it was him, he said "yes".
Paul was kind enough to sign an Aviar my son loves to use, which is now a wall hanger. I was very impressed with the Pro I met today. Not just because he signed a disc(which was great and amazing) but because he was kind enough to take time out of his day and invest in the sport and my son. Paul, if you read this, thank you for taking a moment to make our day a little more amazing.
Might have been an imposter... I hope not, but Paul posted on Facebook that he was heading to LAX in California earlier today. Did you watch this guy throw?

[EDIT] Upon further review, that was yesterday. I forgot I didn't read any posts yesterday. Could've been Paul.

Last edited by ScottyLove; 09-19-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:28 PM
Cubby Ace Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: RHFH
or someone made a fake profile and called himself paul mcbeth... I have met only a couple pro's but spend a whole day with nikko. and that dude is awesome. I dont care what people say about him he is a super cool and can throw the hell of a disc! Paul sounds like he would do that. heard nothing but great things about him.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.2
Courses Played: 84
I have played lots of rounds with pro players, and have never ever had a problem.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:48 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 33.2
Courses Played: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutz167 View Post
Word.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
All the negative stories about pros I've heard are about their on-course behavior or their interaction with TDs. I don't think I've ever heard of a pro who wasn't approachable and friendly when they weren't in the middle of competing for their food and gas money to get to the next tournament. I think it's great that Paul was friendly and accommodating, I've heard similar stories about some of the pros who are most maligned on here including Nikko and Avery.

That doesn't mean that I endorse the bad behavior on the course, I just think it's a totally separate discussion.
I have heard negative ones about Schusterick and Feldberg that didn't involve tourney play that kind of turned me off to them. Point is, to be a true professional would involve acting in a professional manner all the time, not just when you're off the course. A true professional wins and loses with honor and humility.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:00 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: LHBH
Nope. it was him. His bag was what caught my son's eye first, I have to admit, I was suprised he pick up on the fact he was Paul. We have been in and out of the Disc Golf Store here in Clearwater for the last few days and my son was looking over a catalog which Paul is on the cover of during each visit. In fact we returned to the store and I had my son show me the catalog. That's how he(my son) recognized him. Oh, the shoe's, he was wearing the same shoes in the European Open. Funny what you remember from an experience, I noticed those before I saw the bag.

On a different note concerning another Pro... Barry Schultz(hope I spelled it right) was in Raleigh where I live and visited with a friend of my son's for some time last summer. Please keep in mind this was not a tournement day, Barry appeared to be just out practicing. At the end of the day handed David a disc, thanked David for the conversation. That was very cool as well. Barry did play later in the week, but still, he took a great deal of time to invest in a younger player.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 7
People are always going to complain about the way that pros handle themselves in situations. They could be perfect 99% of the time and then the one time they arent feeling bad they are labeled as jerks.

You have to think that the rounds are their practice rounds and its how they earn money. If they are acting 100% to your liking then it might not be them.

Sweet for your son though!