#1  
Old 09-20-2013, 03:19 PM
innovamania innovamania is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 13
Post Proper Putting Form

So when you clicked on this, if you did, you were probably thinking another person who wants the same tips on putting we give everyone. No those are easily searched for in other threads but what's not easy to find? Is actual advice on form. Most of the advice you see is about the mental game and not about how to actually putt. Theirs lots of info on proper driving form, (Reachback, Pull across the chest, The hit, OAT, Not griplocking, etc.) Lots of advice out there but not much on putting. So I wanted to use this thread to list some of the key points with putting. I know theirs so many styles out their and each person is different, nut their must be some things that are the same with everyone's putting. Here are a few I've found. Feel free to contribute your own too. Their's lots of members here who are probably more knowledgeable than me.
  1. Weight Transfer
  2. Consistent Routine
  3. Lined up with target
These are what I've come up with. So what are some other parts of an ideal putt?
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-20-2013, 03:24 PM
bradharris's Avatar
bradharris bradharris is offline
Team Borderland
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Merrimack, NH
Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 75
Posts: 4,437
Breathing is very important. Getting a relaxed, comfortable breathing routine can help with timing and rhythm as well as calming your nerves and steadying your hand.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-20-2013, 03:37 PM
Tpro's Avatar
Tpro Tpro is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: 828
Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 43
Posts: 1,390
Im a firm believer of putting being VERY personal. Arm length, Arm slot, Wrist strength etc etc is very different for everyone.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-20-2013, 05:06 PM
Dan Ensor's Avatar
Dan Ensor Dan Ensor is online now
Sophomore
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Paris, MO
Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 56
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,920
Putter Vision

Pick a very, very, very small place to putt the disc.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-20-2013, 05:18 PM
Prodigium Prodigium is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Finland
Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 215
Putts, thousands and thousands of putts.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-20-2013, 05:20 PM
BigSky's Avatar
BigSky BigSky is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 7,019
Doesn't matter how you put the disc on the basket. Just make sure you do it the same way, every time.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-20-2013, 05:23 PM
JoeBob21's Avatar
JoeBob21 JoeBob21 is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Appleton/Madison/Chicago
Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
Putter Vision

Pick a very, very, very small place to putt the disc.
Different for everybody but, I totally agree with you. I usually try to concentrate on one link if the chain. Snipers also use this technique they call it "aim small, miss small"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-20-2013, 05:26 PM
Agricolae Agricolae is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Carolina
Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovamania View Post
So when you clicked on this, if you did, you were probably thinking another person who wants the same tips on putting we give everyone. No those are easily searched for in other threads but what's not easy to find? Is actual advice on form. Most of the advice you see is about the mental game and not about how to actually putt. Theirs lots of info on proper driving form, (Reachback, Pull across the chest, The hit, OAT, Not griplocking, etc.) Lots of advice out there but not much on putting. So I wanted to use this thread to list some of the key points with putting. I know theirs so many styles out their and each person is different, nut their must be some things that are the same with everyone's putting. Here are a few I've found. Feel free to contribute your own too. Their's lots of members here who are probably more knowledgeable than me.
  1. Weight Transfer
  2. Consistent Routine
  3. Lined up with target
These are what I've come up with. So what are some other parts of an ideal putt?
That's a good start, can't argue with any of those and I think they translate to any putting style.

Weight transfer is a big one; I see a lot of folks struggle with "power" outside of 25 feet. Similar to throwing drives, the power comes from the legs/hips/weight transfer. Get that right and you're still putting, effortlessly, well outside of the circle.

Following Dan's "Putter Vision", I'll add keeping one's eye on the target throughout the backswing and release. This is also known as "keeping your chin up!" A good way to make it routine is to train yourself not to watch the flight of the putter after release; keep your eye on the target until the disc hits it, or hits the ground.

Another suggestion is follow-through. Lack of follow-through, or short-arming, usually comes from being tentative and afraid of a miss. Swing through the putting motion and reach for the basket.

Those things work for me whether I'm spin, pitch, or straddle putting. In other words, if I'm making my putts I'm doing those things, plus the ones mentioned above.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-20-2013, 05:43 PM
CrowLegs's Avatar
CrowLegs CrowLegs is online now
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Columbus, OH-IO
Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 299
Along with weight transfer, balance is really important. I've missed some relatively easy putts because at the last second my stance felt "off" and my balance was not good. I should have reset, but stubbornly went on and missed the putt. Get comfortable, in an "athletic" posture (whatever that means to you).
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 09-20-2013, 08:20 PM
Brodysseus's Avatar
Brodysseus Brodysseus is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: IL
Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpro View Post
Im a firm believer of putting being VERY personal. Arm length, Arm slot, Wrist strength etc etc is very different for everyone.
Agreed. Really just find a routine and motion that feel comfortable and then put the biscuit in the basket.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.