Old 09-22-2013, 06:56 PM

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 56
Throwing Style: RHBH
Doubles rules and regs

Just wondering. In best shot tournaments, do they ever require a certain order to who takes each shot first? i.e. Do they force you to switch off first to tee off? Do they force you to have the player who's shot was not taken be the one to throw their upshot first?

Just wondering if there are any set rules ever or if the PDGA is looking at establishing such rules.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:52 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 23
Nope. In doubles, play in whichever order you and your partner are comfortable with
Old 09-22-2013, 09:33 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 18.5
Courses Played: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adontalis View Post
Just wondering. In best shot tournaments, do they ever require a certain order to who takes each shot first? i.e. Do they force you to switch off first to tee off? Do they force you to have the player who's shot was not taken be the one to throw their upshot first?

Just wondering if there are any set rules ever or if the PDGA is looking at establishing such rules.
In PDGA or Unsanctioned Events you can set the rules as you wish for different types of teeing orders.......In Worlds Mixed doubles they have it where one player can NOT tee off 3 times in a row bringing thinking into play.....
There are PDGA Rules for doubles of which Chuck or one of the other more savvy guys will or can give you a link to.....
Old 09-22-2013, 09:54 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith johnson View Post
In PDGA or Unsanctioned Events you can set the rules as you wish for different types of teeing orders.......In Worlds Mixed doubles they have it where one player can NOT tee off 3 times in a row bringing thinking into play.
Hmm ... in this thread, the TD for 2011 Mixed Doubles said the requirement was each player had to tee off a minimum of 6 times during the round. No mention of a "no more than twice in a row" requirement.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:48 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
Hmm ... in this thread, the TD for 2011 Mixed Doubles said the requirement was each player had to tee off a minimum of 6 times during the round. No mention of a "no more than twice in a row" requirement.
That's almost the same thing ... just spread out. It is a simple way of assuring that each team meet the minimum. If it is no more than twice in a row, then each player would be teeing off at least 6 times. Though I guess what you stated would mean it could be Player A /B could simply planning which ones to take and then they could in theory use A's tee shot holes 1-12, then use B's holes 13-18.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:41 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.6
If my partner is first up, and drains his putt, can I still putt also to avoid getting cold?
Old 09-24-2013, 06:44 PM
*Super Moderator*

Courses Played: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
If my partner is first up, and drains his putt, can I still putt also to avoid getting cold?
That would be considered a practice throw.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:48 PM
*Super Moderator*

http://www.pdga.com/rules/doubles

Quote:
If you are playing Best Disc format and your partner has holed out, you do not throw unless you can improve on your partner's score. Any throw made which cannot possibly improve a team's score on a hole is a practice throw.

Quote:
801.06 Practice Throws

A practice throw made during the round shall result in one penalty throw being added to the thrower's score.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:14 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
Thank you. Guess I could have looked myself ...

Does any practice throw/penalty count against the whole team? Other than penalties on a throw/position that was not taken.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:19 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
Thank you. Guess I could have looked myself ...

Does any practice throw/penalty count against the whole team? Other than penalties on a throw/position that was not taken.
On the same page:

Quote:
Warnings and penalty throws for the following violations shall apply to the team as a whole: courtesy, practice throw, interference, late scorecard, and incorrect scorecard. All other warnings and penalty throws shall apply to the offending player only.