Old 11-20-2013, 09:12 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 18
Struggles from a Tournament Director

Are there any tournament directors out there having second thoughts about making their events B-Tiers or A-Tiers due to the cost?

I am slowly getting frustrated with the cost of events to sanction at the higher tiers. I was planning on hosting an A-Tier this upcoming year 2014 until I looked into it. $2000 added cash minimum to pro purse, $100 sanction fee, $4 per player fee! Seriously, the higher the tier to more fees?

I do support the PDGA, but have my little issues. Something has got to change people.

Thoughts?
Old 11-20-2013, 09:16 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 29
Honestly, I think added cash minimum for A-tiers should be higher.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:20 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 55
A-tiers also tend to have higher entry fees so (other than the added cash) the percentage of these fees compared to the entry fee is about a wash (or lower). What the higher fees are getting you is a larger range of exclusivity from other PDGA events and potentially a higher draw of higher caliber players. Each TD needs to determine if that is worth it to them for the price.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 32.3
Courses Played: 113
Why does anyone host an A-Tier? (Or even B-Tier?) Unless you're making a lot of money off the tourney (for yourself/club or for charity), why do it?

Is it the homeboy/home-course homerism? Is the need to "show off" your hometown course(s) really that strong? So strong you would spend dozens (hundreds) of hours and tons of energy, and then GIVE money to out-of-towners (with less-than-stellar reputations) to come into your town and play for each others' money (plus yours)?

I don't get it. Never have. Probably never will. But if you can explain, please do.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 31
I solve the problem by not sanctioning. People seem to have more fun at non-sanctioned events.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:32 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 96
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hammer View Post
I solve the problem by not sanctioning. People seem to have more fun at non-sanctioned events.
I personally won't play non-sanctioned events because of the BS. What would be 925 rated players playing REC. People smoking dope during the round. Player packs that amount to a cup for a keg and payouts to the top 20%. No thanks.

Don't get me wrong - I like beer - been brewing my own for 23 years. But for $35 I expect more than 'free Bud heavy'.

Last edited by Rob Martin; 11-20-2013 at 09:33 AM. Reason: more
Old 11-20-2013, 09:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Martin View Post
I personally won't play non-sanctioned events because of the BS. What would be 925 rated players playing REC. People smoking dope during the round. Player packs that amount to a cup for a keg and payouts to the top 20%. No thanks.
The entitlement of disc golfers really ruins the fun for a lot of people. Gimme, gimme, gimme!

That same sense of entitlement is half the reason disc golf is spinning it's tires in trying to get big. TD's are too consumed with trying to come up with more money, and higher payouts, rather than trying to create unique, and quality events.

Last edited by The Hammer; 11-20-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:50 AM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Martin View Post

Don't get me wrong - I like beer - been brewing my own for 23 years. But for $35 I expect more than 'free Bud heavy'.
Non-sanctioned events, much like sanctioned ones, can vary drastically from event-to-event.

I play tons of non-sanctioned events, some are awesome, others are duds. It's up to the TD to create a "product" that is enjoyable for the players. Some of New England's most popular events are unsanctioned. Those TDs could even probably charge way more than they do now and still fill in days, hours, even minutes in some cases.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:00 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 169
Throwing Style: RHFH
We, The Hamilton Disc Golf Union (ThHDGU.com), hosted our first C-tier Event this year. We will be hosting another one plus a B-tier in 2014. We will be hosting the 2016 Deaf DG Championships and need to get the "bugs worked out" before we host them. By hosting Big PDGA events it shows the Parks dept. that DG is worth the cost of putting more courses in.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:08 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 66
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hammer View Post
Yea, Id rather play a sanctioned event over a non sanctioned one. There is less bs to deal with in a sanctioned event and it is run a lot more professionally.

People play in the correct division, the drug usage during theround is drasticially cut, and the ammount of cheating is cut down.