Old 09-28-2013, 07:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.4
Courses Played: 85
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmc View Post
If you're serious about the game you'll eventually get to the point where you don't lose discs anymore.
I still haven't reached that point yet either. I really like Avenger SS's, except that every one that I have bought has ended up in a water hazard...
Old 09-28-2013, 07:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 115
Heck, it was after I got really serious about the game that I started losing them on a weekly basis. Something about the serious course I built, after years of playing Earlewood without a single loss.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:01 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Heck, it was after I got really serious about the game that I started losing them on a weekly basis. Something about the serious course I built, after years of playing Earlewood without a single loss.
The only reason I didn't lose one at your course is because you helped me tramp through the thorns for 20 minutes looking for my awful shot.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbine712 View Post
I would like to see the results when compiled.
Thanks
Sure thing turbine, no problem. I'll let you know.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Yeah, which disc and where lost greatly affect my decision.
Those are pretty obvious points which I didn't even consider. Damn, I should have. "Does potentially losing a disc alter which disc you choose to use?" That would have been useful. I may add it half way through, just to see if I can get any good results from it.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 138
Send a message via AIM to New013
bluetooth is the only realistic solution
Old 09-28-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nate View Post
I thought the question "how many discs do you lose a year" is a little unfair simply because until this summer I hadn't lost a disc for about 7 years. Although I do enjoy taking surveys about disc golf :P

Just yesterday, however, I left my disc at a hole like a n00b and didn't pick it up. I had to run back to the hole after I realized what I had done. Crisis averted.
Sorry Nate! I should have just added a <1 category to compensate for that. I'm very jealous of your loss rate. I've had two battles with impenetrable nettles. I even brought an old machete to the course, with no success.

Thanks for filling out the survey.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
That course you built looks pretty sweet. Although, I could do without those 16 holes (Q/D). Appear to be a real pain in the butt.

These two shots remind me of home. Leaves are probably the biggest culprit for me in losing and searching for discs. Just getting into that season now.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:26 PM

Well, my survey results limit is about to be hit, so I'd like to put a link to a new version of the same thing. Didn't realize there was a 5 minute no edit rule. Hopefully some folks look down here:

New Link to Same Survey

Old 09-28-2013, 10:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamfb View Post
Those are pretty obvious points which I didn't even consider. Damn, I should have. "Does potentially losing a disc alter which disc you choose to use?" That would have been useful. I may add it half way through, just to see if I can get any good results from it.
There have been threads about having water on courses, where this was discussed. Some people don't like water, for just this reason. But it means that water O.B. is different from other O.B., especially if it makes you reluctant to throw your best disc for fear of losing it....when then increases your chance of going O.B., because you're not throwing your best disc.

Here's a variable that makes your survey difficult to answer: I play a lot of rounds on a private course on which lost discs are always a danger, either from dense rough or water. It also means that I can easily leave a disc behind and come back to look for it days, even weeks later, because I know no one will take it. It also means that I find dozens of discs a year.

I've got a lost disc right now that I've spent more than an hour searching for, including utilizing a tractor with a bushhog. I've returned to search for discs with armor, uh, jeans, jacket, and gloves, even in summer.

So where matters. Some places, if you don't find a disc while you're there, you figure you'll never see it again. But it's not just which course you're on, but where on that course---at Earlewood, where lost discs are rare, I was playing safari golf and threw a disc down a storm drain. I knew it would be there until the next rain, so I returned later with some tools.

And with whom you're playing. Sometimes it affects how long you'll search.

A lot more variables than a survey can cover. I've lost discs that I devoted much time to searching for, and lost discs that I've written off before they hit the water.