Old 10-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 14
Difference between divisions?

Curious - for those of you who have moved up the ranks, what did you find really differentiated the divisions? What did Intermediate Players generally do that Rec players couldn't? Same for Int to Advanced, and Advanced to Open?

I'm curious as the players in my area generally play intermediate if they are over 800 rated, advanced once they're over 900 and open after about 940-950. Seems a little off from the recommendations/requirements given by the PDGA? We had a 920 player in intermediate recently and everyone bagged on him for sandbagging...
Old 10-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Rec's all over the place. Some players are new, some players have been around for years and are just inconsistent (like me!). Generally they have a few bad holes per round or just a lot of bogies. Eg, my last tournament round where I had 6 birdies and finished +1. ;_; I see a lot of systemic form issues and players with huge weaknesses in one area of their game, for example, no anhyzer game or bad short/approach game. I've seen guys in MA3 who can throw 450'+ but just can't score well on the course.

Am3 players also have their bags in flux/full of new stuff.

Int. seems to be guys who have 2 parts of their game clicking (drive/approach/putt) and have some bogeys but few or no double/triple bogeys. I think a lot of Int players are still subject to terrible terrible rounds.

My AM1 friends seem to have their bags mostly settled and a well rounded game. They might still lack in some areas but they've figured out how to consistently compensate and manage risk/reward shots. They all putt nearly lights out out to 20/25'. Gotta have that.

Otherwise, dudes are an extremely diverse crowd as far as how they play and what skills they have or lack that effects their scores.

As far as ratings, my area calls "baggers" in a kindly way - it's more of a compliment than anything. If you win an event you're gonna hear "bagger!" "move up!" but no one chides anyone for playing their rating.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: RHBH
^As a fellow experienced player (who's still playing rec ), I think that's a pretty good (if not excellent) assessment. That said, it would be interesting to see similar assessments from people who have climbed the ramks, or have been playing Intermediate or Advanced for quite some time.

What was it that got them to the next level?
Old 10-02-2013, 12:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 116
Throwing Style: LHBH
Consistency. That's the biggest difference between divisions. The higher up you go, the more consistent the players tend to be.

I've seen Intermediate players who can shoot a 52 one round and a 67 the next, where as on the same course, an Advanced player might be 54-61 and the pro will be 53-53. If you went by the first round alone, you'd think the players were all the same level. It's a matter of being able to repeat shots and scores round after round...that's what separates the divisions.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:05 PM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Consistency. That's the biggest difference between divisions. The higher up you go, the more consistent the players tend to be.

I've seen Intermediate players who can shoot a 52 one round and a 67 the next, where as on the same course, an Advanced player might be 54-61 and the pro will be 53-53. If you went by the first round alone, you'd think the players were all the same level. It's a matter of being able to repeat shots and scores round after round...that's what separates the divisions.
Hit the nail on the head here.

I tend to play advanced in tourneys and I can end up near the top of total tourney scores (including open) orrrrrrrrrrrrr near the mid/lower end of intermediate. My putting is hot and cold so often that I can rarely consistently play at a very high level.

Frequent winners of open aren't the guys who bomb discs, they are the guys that sink every putt they should.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Absolutely. And especially in the jump from Advanced to Open. Not only are the Advanced guys inconsistent from round to round, but some of them can be 1000-rated players for an entire weekend.....and 910s the next.

At the lower divisions, mixed in with the wildly inconsistent are players whose athletic skills aren't so great---they may be consistent, but consistently weak on their drives or off on their longer putts. (Not to be confused with the guys who are weak and inconsistent, like me. Luckily, there are age-protected divisions for me to hide out in).
Old 10-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 315
I could play Rec, but I don't. A lot of it was because everyone else at my skill level was playing Intermediate, and I wanted to compete.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:52 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 35
Accuracy and precision (equivalent to skill and consistency).

Rec: not accurate and not precise
Int: sometimes accurate or sometimes precise
Am: often accurate or often precise
Adv: often accurate and often precise
Pro: always accurate and always precise

I'm not saying lower level players lack skills. I am saying that the lower the level, the more error there is between the desired shot and the actual shot.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by davistd0 View Post
Accuracy and precision (equivalent to skill and consistency).

Rec: not accurate and not precise
Int: sometimes accurate or sometimes precise
Am: often accurate or often precise
Adv: often accurate and often precise
Pro: always accurate and always precise

I'm not saying lower level players lack skills. I am saying that the lower the level, the more error there is between the desired shot and the actual shot.
Your post made me think of this:

Old 10-02-2013, 04:25 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 35