Old 09-30-2013, 03:31 AM

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Yahoo to troyrugg
driver issues, fairway vs distance...

So ive been playing almost 2 yrs. Distance drivers i throw or have tested are: katanas, wraith , tern, fury,d3, connon, renegade.... maybe a few others. Most consistance big d w terns as of late....averaging 350-375. My issue is i seem to be able to put my leapords, teebirds, stalkersout about 300-325. Without a video on my form any thoughts as to how i can get more distance out of drivers. Or should i just focus on using fairways? Feel like i have decent form and control most days. And play/practice nearly daily... thanks in advance.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:45 AM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.2
Courses Played: 38
Even more practice! A video would help though. The form gurus on here will help you tremendously. If those are honest distances, they are actually not bad for someone fairly new to the sport. I would keep practicing (i.e. field work) with the distance drivers, but try and stick to the fairway drivers for rounds until you are getting them out a little farther with pinpoint control.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:12 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.2
Courses Played: 178
As always in these discussions, I ask....why? If you can consistantly drop a 350 ft drive in the fairway, what do you need more distance for. I play the back tees on most courses and rarely find the need for a controlled 450 ft drive. If you are not accurate with distance shots, the are usually not buying you too many strokes. Practice shaping 350 ft drive to land where you want and become the best putter in the game....BAM, McBeth is on the run.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:20 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 40
I'm in the same boat. I just stopped bagging long distance drivers and stick to my fairways. I'm far more accurate with them anyways. The fastest disc I carry right now is an Opto Saint. I did just order an unlace though, I'm curious as to see how thats gonna fly for me. My advice though is stick with your fairways for now and get accurate with them. Make the jump to distance drivers when you keep turning your fairway drivers over, especially on the discs you haven't turned over in the past. I'll let you know how the unlace treats me though. I think its unstable enough for beginners to actually throw a distance driver correct. Time will tell, I get it in the mail tomorrow.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:44 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
As always in these discussions, I ask....why? If you can consistantly drop a 350 ft drive in the fairway, what do you need more distance for. I play the back tees on most courses and rarely find the need for a controlled 450 ft drive. If you are not accurate with distance shots, the are usually not buying you too many strokes. Practice shaping 350 ft drive to land where you want and become the best putter in the game....BAM, McBeth is on the run.
As always when people show that they lost their ambitions :

more distance is always helpful. If you cant see that, you have no clue about golf.

Since you mentioned Paul I will add that this guy is not only good because of his putts, but also cause he can throw anything into putting range from 600 feet out. Not 300 as you suggest. 600. He will say "nice line" to your precision 300 foot drive and then throw twice as far as you did.

Stop telling beginners who want to learn and improve that they should stop learning and improving. WTF kind of advice is that.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:24 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 27
It's highly possible you don't generate enough arm speed and/or snap to make the distance drivers go their farthest.

When you throw the Tern, Wraith or D3 do they flip up for you? If not then you don't generate the required arm speed to get them to go max distance.

You may want to disc down to a speed 9-10 speed driver that is understable and see if you can make them flip over.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:31 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
You know what being able to throw 450' really helps? It helps you a ton when you walk up to a 325' shot and every disc in your bag can get there. If I can choose between a putter, mid, control driver or distance driver and you can only get there with your max distance throw, I'm a lot more likely to park the hole consistently. Just because you don't use your max distance throw a lot doesn't mean it doesn't have benefits for other parts of your game.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:08 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigles View Post

more distance is always helpful. If you cant see that, you have no clue about golf.

Since you mentioned Paul I will add that this guy is not only good because of his putts, but also cause he can throw anything into putting range from 600 feet out. Not 300 as you suggest. 600. He will say "nice line" to your precision 300 foot drive and then throw twice as far as you did.

Stop telling beginners who want to learn and improve that they should stop learning and improving. WTF kind of advice is that.
LOL

"Nice Line Bro"... WHOOSH
Old 09-30-2013, 12:10 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.2
Courses Played: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigles View Post

Well, perhaps I presented my point ineffectively. How many holes, on the dozens of courses played in a summer, do you look at a drive over 400 ft. In the areas I play, it is rare to be given the opportunity. Fairways, ceilings..... Investing a ton of field time, mental anguish and priority in getting longer, does not translate into significantly better scoring, IMO. That time is better invested in short game work. I shall not tell you to stop to expounding upon distance, as the primary platform an overall game improvement. I get McBeth throws further than 300, you missed the sarcasm. Good luck to the OP in improving all parts of his game.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
You know what being able to throw 450' really helps? It helps you a ton when you walk up to a 325' shot and every disc in your bag can get there. If I can choose between a putter, mid, control driver or distance driver and you can only get there with your max distance throw, I'm a lot more likely to park the hole consistently. Just because you don't use your max distance throw a lot doesn't mean it doesn't have benefits for other parts of your game.
Ding ding ding

When I pop a Buzzz when others throw a blizzard driver, I'm usually more accurate

Last edited by AceALot; 09-30-2013 at 12:38 PM.