Old 09-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: RHBH
What about this one?

I played in a monthly yesterday at Lake Casitas. We were on hole 18 and after missing mandatory right off the teepad, I finally got to my putt to end the hole and walk away with a 5p. I set up my putt from about 20-25 ft out and send it on its way. It hits directly into the chains and I lean down to grab my marker. As I come back up, I look to see the disc is balanced on top of the basket catch like a teeter-totter. There is more than half of the disc "in" the basket but is just balanced there. The next guy is so shocked by this happening that it sits there for a good 20 seconds before he approaches his lie. He putts right over the top of my disc, hits chains and as it falls in it nicks my disc. My disc teeters down into the basket and back up and falls out right below the basket.
The TD happened to be pretty close to that hole so we let him know what happened. He called it good for a 5 and I took it but I'm curious if this should have been a 6p. What would you call it?
Old 09-30-2013, 06:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 119
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Birds2Squirrels View Post
I played in a monthly yesterday at Lake Casitas. We were on hole 18 and after missing mandatory right off the teepad, I finally got to my putt to end the hole and walk away with a 5p. I set up my putt from about 20-25 ft out and send it on its way. It hits directly into the chains and I lean down to grab my marker. As I come back up, I look to see the disc is balanced on top of the basket catch like a teeter-totter. There is more than half of the disc "in" the basket but is just balanced there. The next guy is so shocked by this happening that it sits there for a good 20 seconds before he approaches his lie. He putts right over the top of my disc, hits chains and as it falls in it nicks my disc. My disc teeters down into the basket and back up and falls out right below the basket.
The TD happened to be pretty close to that hole so we let him know what happened. He called it good for a 5 and I took it but I'm curious if this should have been a 6p. What would you call it?
Unfortunately for you, it should have been scored a 6. The disc has to be supported by the bottom of the tray or the inner walls of the tray to be good. Balanced on the rim of the tray is not in.

Rules QA41 covers this specifically.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:40 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Unfortunately for you, it should have been scored a 6. The disc has to be supported by the bottom of the tray or the inner walls of the tray to be good.
That's what I thought. The guys on my card felt bad about it so they were the ones that brought it to the TD's attention.

Thanks for clarification.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:50 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 103
Send a message via AIM to magictenor1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimb View Post
Some older baskets simply don't meet the PDGA standards of today. Not much we can do about that short of replacing upgrading them. So in official PDGA play, through the top is no good.

I have several Instep baskets that allow this to happen and I wouldn't count it as in if the scenario ever happened to me, even in a casual round. But that is just me.
I have only seen this one time and it was on an instep basket just recently. We counted it (casual play). I had assumed that if it is in the basket it is good no matter how it got there. I know that laying on the top is no good but stuck into the side is? Seems wrong. Not arguing what the rule is but why that is the rule
Old 09-30-2013, 07:41 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by magictenor1 View Post
I have only seen this one time and it was on an instep basket just recently. We counted it (casual play). I had assumed that if it is in the basket it is good no matter how it got there. I know that laying on the top is no good but stuck into the side is? Seems wrong. Not arguing what the rule is but why that is the rule
Stuck in the side is not good, unless it goes in the basket correctly and wedges on the way out (or nobody sees which way it wedges so the thrower gets the benefit of the doubt). The reason for the rule is that our original target was two ribbons on a tree, with a target area between them. Discs that fall in from the top or hit the front of the cage and stick are outside the "target area".
Old 09-30-2013, 09:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
Stuck in the side is not good, unless it goes in the basket correctly and wedges on the way out (or nobody sees which way it wedges so the thrower gets the benefit of the doubt). The reason for the rule is that our original target was two ribbons on a tree, with a target area between them. Discs that fall in from the top or hit the front of the cage and stick are outside the "target area".
Stuck in the side used to count, right? Wasn't that rule change within the last 2-3 years or so? I'm not sure and don't feel like researching it right now. I figure some of the rules guys will be able to confirm almost instantly.

And I like your ribbon explanation, mash! It's similar to people complaining about the Innova chastity belt. If you hit it, though, you're out of the target zone, right? Thanks, btw!

Last edited by Jimb; 09-30-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 119
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimb View Post
Stuck in the side used to count, right? Wasn't that rule change within the last 2-3 years or so? I'm not sure and don't feel like researching it right now. I figure some of the rules guys will be able to confirm almost instantly.
You are correct. Changed with the 2011 revision to the rule book.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
You are correct. Changed with the 2011 revision to the rule book.
Excellent. That must be why it was ringing a bell. That's the last version of the rulebook that I have and it had the rule changes for the year listed in it. Thanks!
Old 09-30-2013, 10:27 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 108
What happens in a sanctioned event, then, when a Disc enters the basket in such a fashion? Do you just give yourself another stroke, or do you have to mark a spot directly beneath the basket and physically put the Disc in the right way for the extra stroke?

Old 10-01-2013, 04:09 AM
Bogey Member

You mark and drop it in because:
a) There's no special rule for this situation that says otherwise,
b) you haven't holed out yet and play continues until you have and
c) your disc came to rest above the playing surface, so you have to mark underneath it.