Old 10-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 29
Things I've learned my first full year playing

I didn't see a thread like this out there yet and thought it might be good to collaborate with everyone to summarize lessons learned the hard way for new players. Some of it can be fun but lets try to keep it on track for the most part.

1. Know what you are buying for your first discs. General consensus is skip drivers and start with putters and mids. Discraft Comet or Buzzz are two popular picks to help get form and arm strength up enough to throw faster discs. When buying other discs know what their flight characteristics are - don't buy blind.

2. Know your group. Some consider it to be just like ball golf - some do not. Serious vs casual etiquette seem to be different but there are some general rules across the board that must be followed. Ex. Don't drive while someone is still putting on the hole.

3. Overstable vs understable. Look it up here and read about it.

4. When learning form forget the x step - just work on shifting body weight and releasing the disc correctly. Nose down!!!!

Any others? I'll add more later tonight when I get home.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 83
Throwing Style: RHBH
Not sure I agree with #4. Ive had more success teaching people from the beginning with them learning the x step right away, as apposed to teaching someone the x step after they already have their own form. But if this worked for you then more power to you
Old 10-01-2013, 06:54 PM

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 6
1. Defiantly don't do what I did and buy a ape and boss for first disc.

2. Putt Putt Putt...

3. Play with better players and learn from them.

4. Join a league!
Old 10-01-2013, 10:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.8
You already touched on disc selection but I'll add my experience. I selected good mids and putters when I first started but also had good luck with my MJLS as long as I threw it into a headwind. A few weeks in I added a Polaris LS and it was very friendly to my beginner arm (I think a River might be too).

On the "not so good" front, I bought some discs on a whim at different times later on. Some of them were too fast for me (Prodigy D4 Proto for example) and some were too overstable (Tsunami comes to mind) but I learned from my mistakes. Ten months in and now the fastest thing in my bag is a QJLS. I field a slew of Teebirds for most of my driving.

Curtis
Old 10-01-2013, 11:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 92
Rule #1: Have fun

Rule #2: If you're not having fun, try something different.

Rule #3: Play with people that have fun.

Rule #4: Respect yourself and others... while having fun.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:29 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 110
I'm almost exactly one year in, so here are some observations (both for community benefit and my future reference):

-The best way to improve is by throwing every day, and having a particular focus in each throw. There will be days where you don't "have it"; use those days to get the mental toughness it takes to continue improving. If you won't learn something by throwing an additional shot, it's time to move on.

-Draw on whatever background you have to inform your playing style and abilities. At the same time, don't sacrifice short-term gain for long-term development (especially wrt throwing form).

-Any time I play a course with lots of long holes (e.g., where I throw drivers full-power on nearly every hole), it will take a focused standstill putter round to reset my form to hit woods lines.

-Throwing flat and 8 feet off the ground is the most utilitarian method for driving. All other throws can be adjusted from that base. Play your game: determine what type of shot or line will enable you to score best, and don't worry about what "looks right" or what other players are doing.

-On holes that have OB or similar hazards, focus on the spot you want to hit instead of the spot you want to avoid.

-Do less. On championship or woods holes, my job is to ensure the easiest way of getting par. Similarly, when I am in a position where I can't hit the basket with a "normal" putt attempt, my next shot should be within 20 feet for the easy finish. To that end, I apply a mathematical probability to the result of each shot (e.g., goes in now, goes in next shot, goes in 2 shots) and play it out accordingly, believing that I've chosen correctly.

-It's all about the process. I have to trust that if I'm playing in a sensible manner and get a spit-out or bad kick, I can repeat everything up to that point and the results will bear out the good process. No one respects you if you blame your bad results on a tree or basket. You will throw a bad shot that gets through; you will throw a good shot that gets screwed. Don't confuse the two.

-Playing with better players is key to learning new techniques and challenging yourself to improve. Some people are smart and should be listened to, even if they're not good. Some people are dumb and should be ignored, even if they are good.

-Putting is intensely personal. The key elements to my putt are breathing, weight shift, a clean release, and keeping all of my moving parts on the same line to the basket. Warm up and practice putts that are inside or at the edge of what you can make 80 percent of the time. Confidence is more important than range.

Last edited by mullethead326; 10-01-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 32.7
Courses Played: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNThrower View Post
arm strength up enough to throw faster discs.
I would hope, after a year of playing, most would realize that arm strength has very very little to do with throwing a disc.

I suppose I should add "in my opinion".
Old 10-02-2013, 08:23 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by grodney View Post
I would hope, after a year of playing, most would realize that arm strength has very very little to do with throwing a disc.

Its not opinion if its a fact

Learn to throw a neutral disc on all lines before using shot specific discs, this obviously excludes rollers/thumbers etc.

Be competent with hyzer flips and flex shots.

Throw dynamic discs! Haha
Old 10-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grodney View Post

Perhaps I worded that incorrectly. Please elaborate for me and the thread. I feel that it has been well documented here that new players do not have the strength to throw high speed discs. There are even certain exercises etc that are used to increase arm strength in order to throw faster discs in the form section.

I understand that form has a lot to do with throwing a disc as well but without the proper strength someone isn't going to throw a Katana or a Boss BH the intended way.

I could totally be wrong or I could have worded that funny to start. Discuss

Old 10-02-2013, 10:47 AM
Birdie Member

Something else that has helped me is to look at all my shot options. I saw a tip video on YouTube talk about seeing three different lines to the basket and choosing the best option. This makes me play very intentional where as when I was learning sometimes I just threw a Buzzz striaght at the basket and hoped haha.

Oh. And it helped me a lot when I simplified my bag. I had been carrying 12 different discs and wanting to use them all on each round. Now I carry very few different molds. 2 different Buzzzes, 2 Pro D Bangers, 3 different Wraiths, and a Teebird for most of my rounds. I'm familiar with them all and for my game they cover most of the shots I need. I also throw in my Meteor and Beast occasionally depending on where I'm playing.

Mark your disc! If you lost it in the woods make sure to note which tree was the last one you saw it fly by. Help others in your group search for their discs. Chances of finding it are much better and it's rude to stand there while everyone else is searching.

It's also been discussed a million times on here but when finding marked discs it is bad etiquette to keep it without trying to return it to the owner. A phone call/text or two giving them the opportunity to get it back is likely sufficient.