Old 10-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
How to load the wrist?

Maybe have had a bit of a breakthrough but its also something I knew wasn't happening.

Ok so I was working out in the field a bit last night and trying a few things. I've read a lot about snap, the wrist, how it should load and release and all of that. My wrist doesn't load I don't think and it never releases so Ive never felt any of that. Its something I just try to let happen because everything I've seen says should be a natural thing and nothing ever mentions actively opening the wrist.

So I was reading something else and it mention actively "snapping" or opening to wrist at the peak of the throw, or maybe thats just what I saw. Either way I went out and tried it...and it seemed to be the key to everything. Did I get more distance? Maybe a little but that distance was coming easier and it felt like there was more potential there whereas before no matter what I did it went the same distance and I could never gain.

Secondly the discs were flying correctly.....understable discs were flying in nice s turns, overstable discs were straight with a cut at the end etc. Also the disc punished me more when I threw poorly....example I have a 150 leo..if I threw it right it would fly nice if I torqued it it would crash and turn into a roller...If I released an Overstable disc on a hyzer out would cut left hard....etc

As the disc came out and I opened my wrist I could feel the disc coming around and ripping out, it was a totally different feeling than before.

So after that wall of text, I apologise,.....I feel like I'm doing something wrong but its working....

What should I be doing to get my wrist to load and release naturally because that's definitely one of the fundamental things holding my game back I feel Or is the active opening and release of the wrist at the end of the throw the right thing to be doing and its just something no one ever mentions, which I would find hard to believe.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2013, 10:58 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 104
Throwing Style: RHBH
Wrist Extension is mentioned in many form discussions. There is a happy medium with your wrist movement as too much/too little is counterproductive which is probably why you hear it being a "natural" movement as you don't really want to force the wrist to extend just guide it at the exact correct moment creating the "hit point"

This is pretty deep stuff in regards to actual timing and your over-all form.
Check out this: http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums...hp?f=2&t=18178
Old 10-02-2013, 11:01 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 104
also this might help to put it all together:

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums...hp?f=2&t=21385
Old 10-02-2013, 11:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 60
Two things that helped me start to wrap my head around the wrist action (heh.)

DD on the Innova site talks about how the wrist should be like a hinge rather than a spring. Took me a while, but now I know what he means, and it's huge in avoiding "too much" wrist. It's timing, not explosiveness.

Hammer drills. They work. W/R/T the hit point and wrist, they overexaggerate the feel, and really help me to lock in the elusive feel of the hit point, and remind me that more strenuous effort in the motion isn't the answer.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 43
There is a very helpful Discraft driving clinic video in which Marty Peters takes 3 AM players and critiques each person's driving technique. One of the items he works on with a player is the "wrist extension" as you call it. It's cool to watch each player throw an extra 50' after getting a few tips from Peters.

http://discraft.com/vid/html/dg16.html
Old 10-02-2013, 11:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: LHBH
gripping your disc lightly during the pull and then clamping down on the disc at the hit point will make your wrist muscles/tendons flex in a way that will begin wrist extension. clamping down on the disc at the right time should at least produce a half-hit. But timing is everything. Hammer pound helps identify the feeling/timing and should help get to a full hit. *

* I say 'should' because I'm still not full-hitting.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:48 AM
<------ your ad here

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro71 View Post
Two things that helped me start to wrap my head around the wrist action (heh.)
lulz!
Old 10-02-2013, 12:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 106
Wrist and fingers should be more like springs than hinges.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Wrist and fingers should be more like springs than hinges.
Right...is there something specific that I need to do to get that wrist action though? Right now I think my wrist is just going along and just kind of falling opened spilling the disc out. If I consciously open it somewhere at or just after my right pec to disc flies totally differently and seems to have more velocity.....

Im sure if I could get my wrist to bounce even more it would be great....

Old 10-02-2013, 11:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki993 View Post
Right...is there something specific that I need to do to get that wrist action though? Right now I think my wrist is just going along and just kind of falling opened spilling the disc out. If I consciously open it somewhere at or just after my right pec to disc flies totally differently and seems to have more velocity.....

Im sure if I could get my wrist to bounce even more it would be great....
Make the disc heavy and let it have it's own inertia. If you release your lower arm forward while the disc lags it will load tension against the wrist and fingers from neutral. It's like pulling back a sling shot going from loose to tight and springing forward. It's just like what Marty shows and talks about in that vid above, you can feel the bounce from a little waggle.