Old 10-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
so releasing my lower arm will give the disc weight? Or something else to make it heavy?
Old 10-04-2013, 07:02 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
What I find interesting is in the video Marty is instructing the throwers to drop the shoulder and arm low and put the disc in a steep hyzer angle. They are using understable discs so why the hyzer and not flat?
Old 10-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Plastic Counselor

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 101
its a lot easier to throw consistently with hyzer and keep shoulder down than to try and throw perfectly flat. nearly all my shots have a bit of hyzer angle to them unless i am throwing anny with an OS disc obviously or touch shots. You will always get more consistency out of a slight hyzer release than perfectly flat (which is almost impossible anyways) and controls the nose angle as well as line you are taking.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki993 View Post
so releasing my lower arm will give the disc weight? Or something else to make it heavy?
Yes, and you can make it heavier by how you change the direction of the disc and accelerate it out much faster than it comes into the power zone.

Read/watch, read/watch again:
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums...hp?f=2&t=13291
Old 10-04-2013, 08:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbine712 View Post
What I find interesting is in the video Marty is instructing the throwers to drop the shoulder and arm low and put the disc in a steep hyzer angle. They are using understable discs so why the hyzer and not flat?
There's many reasons like AimfortheChains said above. Understable discs will flip up from hyzer and glide out further. If I released an understable disc flat it would likely become a roller. It's also easier to throw an understable with anhyzer than flat because you should be throwing it higher where it can fly out. A few other good reasons is that it's easier to properly load the arm under the dropped shoulder. And you can use gravity to assist your throw pulling under.

Dropping the shoulder thread:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...pping+shoulder
Old 10-04-2013, 10:05 PM
Par Member

So... if you throw an understable disc with hyzer, would then the more overstable the disc the less hyzer? I'm trying to wrap my head around this. I watch so many videos and read so many articles about throwing that it's getting confusing.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbine712 View Post
So... if you throw an understable disc with hyzer, would then the more overstable the disc the less hyzer? I'm trying to wrap my head around this. I watch so many videos and read so many articles about throwing that it's getting confusing.
Assuming you want a straight flight yes. When I'm talking about hyzer its typically the release angle, not necessarily talking about the flight path.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:11 AM
Par Member

Gotcha
Old 10-15-2013, 10:05 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
And its totally gone again...cant get it back and I don't know what happened. Looks like I have some reading to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Yes, and you can make it heavier by how you change the direction of the disc and accelerate it out much faster than it comes into the power zone.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:27 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.9
Courses Played: 77
Send a message via AIM to seehad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post

It's been a few years since I watched these videos and read that thread. I used to get a nice audible snap from towels but it somehow stopped. It may be for other reasons, but I believe I've been trying to gain armspeed at elevation to make up for the more stable flights. After rewatching these videos I got out my trusty towel to test it out. The result? POP! Every time now. Now that I have that feeling back, I am starting to really feel power coming from my legs and hips kinetically chained to the whip.