Old 10-01-2013, 09:40 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHFH
My backhand needs help...

So I have been wanting to post this for a few weeks, but wasn't sure how to word it until I read another thread that talked about Ultimate, so here goes:

I am a FH player, and always have been. I have been playing really really sparingly for about 9 years until the last month or so, and I have gotten back into it again. However, I came to disc golf from playing ultimate a ton while in college. I played pick-up games and ended up quarterbacking most of the time, as I could put either a flick, hammer, or backhand most anywhere on the field with a pretty good degree of accuracy.

Coming over to disc golf, my FH basically was the same as an ultimate flick, so I have no problem there. With a Beast/Katana, I can reach about 400ft on a great drive with my FH. My hammer is not bad either, as a great control/get out of crappy situations throw. My BH however is a whole other story, I can barely reach 250, and I have no hope of keeping it straight.

I have been trying to figure out why this was the problem and I have come to understand a few things. 1) my form is bad, I get that... I am trying to strong arm my throws.

But the other issue that I am having is 2) my release and this is what I wanted to post about. When I throw an ultimate disc, and I want to put it onto the other end of the field, I can put some snap on it and I can send it a ways. However, when I do, I have to release it on a hyzer plane if I want it to go straight. So now when I try my BH, I can't help but release the disc on a hyzer angle. How do I convert my release from the ultimate hyzer release, to an actual flat straight release?

I hope this makes sense, as I really have no idea how to fix this issue.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:06 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 56
Throwing Style: RHBH
The easy solution is to throw mainly understable discs backhand. Still release them on a hyzer, they just flip up to flat and fly far. Other than that, you simply have to work at forcing yourself to bring your reach back up higher and keeping your disc flat. It can be tough, but just takes time and determination.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:28 PM
Par Member

In terms of understable... we are talking negative ratings on the high speed number chart right? I grabbed both a beast and a katana, and even releasing them with the hyzer, I can't get them to turn over, they just stay hyzer and nose dive into the ground. Maybe my release isn't the only problem?
Old 10-01-2013, 10:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 79
Lots of Ultimate guys can get away with throwing a frisbee BH with all arm. To throw a disc you need to use your whole body and turn your eyes/body away from the target. There's nothing wrong with throwing most shots on hyzer, but you will need more power and to learn different discs. Ultimate players also tend to reachback too high and finish low and end nose up airbouncing, instead of trajectoring with the nose down.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDinIN View Post
In terms of understable... we are talking negative ratings on the high speed number chart right? I grabbed both a beast and a katana, and even releasing them with the hyzer, I can't get them to turn over, they just stay hyzer and nose dive into the ground. Maybe my release isn't the only problem?
Yes and those are not good beginner discs because they are have a high speed rating and you don't have the power to throw them yet. Stick to speed 6 or lower for now. Gazelles, Stingrays, Comets, Cheetah, Leopard are good starters.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:39 PM
Par Member

That sounds about right, as my reach back isn't quite level, more of an up to down with a hyzer twist at the end now that I think about it. So this isn't necessarily a release problem so much as it is a continuation of my form being all arm (which is absolutely true.)

I get the idea of how to transfer my body weight, turn hips to turn shoulders to whip the arm and then accelerate through with the disc, but making it happen sucks lol. Is the normal suggestion to use lower speed discs (mids and fairway drivers) until those are "mastered?"
Old 10-01-2013, 10:42 PM
Par Member

So basically.. I have to put my forehand on the backburner for awhile, and play small disc (so to speak) till I get my form down. Which means, I must exercise self-control on every 300+ hole I play for awhile... can't say how probable that is going to be right now lol.

Thanks for the thoughts Sidewinder, hopefully I can update on progress as it moves forward
Old 10-01-2013, 10:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Pretty much.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:10 PM
Par Member

Wow... so not saying I have Brodie like form, but that video makes it pretty clear the difference in release and such.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 56
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Yes and those are not good beginner discs because they are have a high speed rating and you don't have the power to throw them yet. Stick to speed 6 or lower for now. Gazelles, Stingrays, Comets, Cheetah, Leopard are good starters.
Yes to those! All great discs for beginners and experienced players alike. A DX Stingray is my personal favorite for hyzer-flips.