Old 10-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 9
Good insight here!

For driving, working long fairways and approaching I always stick to the known GOOD (not great) shot: have practiced it before, have seen it before, have had success with it before, etc. In short, I always stick to my game AND don't try to emulate what my fellow golfers are doing.

For putting, I treat each putt with "reverence". I may not ever see that exact putt again, so it deserves my mindful attention to routine. Make or miss, the next putt is a new and unique opportunity.

Oh, and having a short memory always helps!
Old 10-06-2013, 05:56 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
It really does make it easier if you're enjoying yourself the whole time. If you're playing badly, strap on a smile anyway and see if it doesn't change how you're feeling and playing.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 109
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugthug1705 View Post
A.D.D people know what I'm talking about
That's me, and something I do to help me is...wear a baseball hat. I use the bill of my cap to help screen out some visual stimulus, at least while putting. Plus, I attempt to reach straight out at the end of my putt by aiming for the center of the bill of the cap too.

When I'm not trying to screen out stimulus (and ignore the thousands of bouncing, ricocheting thoughts in my brain), I'm just having fun, though. The more laughs and silliness, the better for me. I guess that's one reason why I stopped playing in tournaments...
Old 10-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
I don't know how to tell you how to do it. I do know I'm capable of being focused for about 12 holes at a stretch. Once or twice I've kept it up for two rounds. Usually something brings me out of it, and it's kind of like waking up. All my incessant head chatter comes back. The most frequent reason is when I realize the round is ALMOST over. I start acting like it's ALREADY over. I start considering timelines and what to do after and I almost always add 2 or 3 strokes on the last 2 holes.

When I am zoned in, it's just a cold steely mathematical kind of feeling. I assess, pick the line, and hit it. Whenever I think "I had a good shot here last time, just do the same thing again" I invariably muck it up. It's gotta be the first time every time.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:59 AM

Courses Played: 16
What is the best way to recover mentally after taking a bad number on a hole?
Old 10-07-2013, 01:05 AM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 56
Forget you took a bad number on a hole.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:11 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
You can not just think about that you hit a certain line before. You also gotta think about how high percentage that you make that line. If you know it's a 10% line you will not be as dissapointed if you dont hit it. If you know it's a 95% line, then you can get dissapointed.

But even then, always focus on the next throw. The throw oyu are about to make is the only one you have control over.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:13 PM
Eagle Member

consistency is that great white whale that most of us chase

knowing that it is difficult to remain consistent, there is no need to put added pressure on yourself when a shot doesn't go as planned

stay loose, breathe deep and have fun

life is too long of a trip to carry extra baggage with you, leave the last hole at the last hole

live in the moment, no need to dwell in the past because you can't change what happened you can only work on what is about to happen
Old 10-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connorl View Post
What is the best way to recover mentally after taking a bad number on a hole?
Create a routine for yourself that you must follow every time this happens. Or every time you complete a hole maybe. Several deep breaths, a personal little mantra, swear at your mini, walk counterclockwise around a tree or tee sign.... it's all pretty personal and it's all about "clearing the mechanism." No one answer will suffice. You have to find YOUR thing.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:11 PM
Rick Rolling, Rolling, Rolling...

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
That's me, and something I do to help me is...wear a baseball hat. I use the bill of my cap to help screen out some visual stimulus, at least while putting. Plus, I attempt to reach straight out at the end of my putt by aiming for the center of the bill of the cap too.

When I'm not trying to screen out stimulus (and ignore the thousands of bouncing, ricocheting thoughts in my brain), I'm just having fun, though. The more laughs and silliness, the better for me. I guess that's one reason why I stopped playing in tournaments...
I've got a little A.D.D. as well, ESPECIALLY when putting. Going to try the baseball hat maneuver.