Old 10-06-2013, 11:39 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: LHBH
I have to stretch before a round. If I don't I feel it the next day.

Getting old sucks.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 212
Throwing Style: RHBH
Here you go.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Birdie Member

WOW! I would take her discin!
Old 10-06-2013, 12:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.3
Courses Played: 80
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Some stretching and/or tossing. If I can't toss then throw some short shots. If there's a field around and I have time I found out getting 5-10 long throws off is a pretty good warm up also.

One thing I have done at Mt Airy for the long throws is go to 18's tee, throw a few from there, walk over to one and start the round.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:31 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
This year i got so confident with putting that I hardly need any putting warmup at all.

Driving though... Yes I need lots of warmup. If I dont warm up my drives go about 75% of the normal distance and they have so little power behind them that not even my most understable discs flip over.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 36
I have had a lot more soreness in my lower back after changing my drive to try and move around the disc. I don't know if this is indictive of improper form, I am throwing further more consistently, but I do know that stretching would probably help. It doesn't help that I played yesterday for the first time in about two weeks. I have never been good about stretching though.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualNewbie View Post
"Does a lion stretch before it takes down a gazelle?"
Probably. Here's one stretching his hamstrings.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

For me, stretching has become more important with every passing year. I used to be able to go full speed without stretching at all, but things changed when I turned 30. Now that I'm 36, failing to stretch and warm up causes pain during and after a round of anything.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:35 AM

Years Playing: 34.1
Courses Played: 9
With any activity I participate in, I notice the effects of not stretching in the days after. If I don't stretch I am sore for days. If I do stretch I am not as sore.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:06 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 7
Not stretching is a guarantee that I will play poorly. It will take me 3 holes to get loose enough to throw well and by the 6th my back starts tightening up. If I can stretch and throw before a round, all the better. But stretching for sure. My home course is only about 5 minutes from my house, so if I am playing there I'll stretch at home and then throw 8-10 at the baskets in my yard.

EDIT: I actually discussed with Steve Dodge at Maple Hill last week the idea that one thing DG is lacking at most courses is the disc version of a driving range. I always played ball golf better if I hit a small bucket of balls and spent 10 minutes on the putting green before teeing off. He told me he's working on getting some used batting cages after players at the VO asked for a place to warm up. I think this would be a great addition to DG courses.

Last edited by Basshunter; 10-07-2013 at 11:09 AM.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:15 AM
500 PDGA Certified Missed Aces Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basshunter View Post
Not stretching is a guarantee that I will play poorly. It will take me 3 holes to get loose enough to throw well and by the 6th my back starts tightening up. If I can stretch and throw before a round, all the better. But stretching for sure. My home course is only about 5 minutes from my house, so if I am playing there I'll stretch at home and then throw 8-10 at the baskets in my yard.

EDIT: I actually discussed with Steve Dodge at Maple Hill last week the idea that one thing DG is lacking at most courses is the disc version of a driving range. I always played ball golf better if I hit a small bucket of balls and spent 10 minutes on the putting green before teeing off. He told me he's working on getting some used batting cages after players at the VO asked for a place to warm up. I think this would be a great addition to DG courses.
Rollin' Ridge has a netted driving range. First like it I've seen...and it's awesome. Getting in 15-20 power throws before actually playing the round is gold.