Old 10-21-2013, 08:54 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 114
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWCG View Post
This is where I plan to go. It's a good area that has options. During the summer months there is a option to play anything from high altitude mountain golf to stuff that peppered up and down the front range. During the winter, most of the front range is open for play. There is also a LOT of players out that way (clubs/leagues/tournament) and the number of courses are growing every year.
Colorado gets my vote!
The front range is about as good as it gets for disc golf, up there with Highbridge. Conifer, Bucksnort, Magic Meadows, Bailey, and Phantom Falls are all a blast, although they are all pay-to-play (Conifer and Bailey have a suggest donation I think, the others require reservations).

Be warned that the Denver area is not impressive for disc golf. Most of the courses are kind of boring. And traffic isn't good. When I visit friends there, we always make the drive up to the Conifer/Pine/Bailey area.

If you're up in the mountains a bit, you'll always have something to do.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:57 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
Sweet! Another I'll name Charlotte and my home town thread!
How's this: Don't move to Indy solely for disc golf. Ground's too flat, we get too hot in summer and too cold in winter. Our scene is growing, but there's better terrain in the midwest for disc golf.

Other than that, Indy's a pretty cool place to live. Good breweries, a good football team, nice downtown area, cool "college town" area (Broadripple), arts district (Mass Ave), easy travel to the rest of the midwest (St. Louis, Cinci, Louisville, Chicago all within 4 hours).

There's definitely better metro areas for disc golfers, though.
Maybe someone ought to use the guide to look for the zip code with the most 4+ disc courses within 25 miles.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 32.8
Courses Played: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungedude42 View Post
Maybe someone ought to use the guide to look for the zip code with the most 4+ disc courses within 25 miles.
That is a FANTASTIC idea.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:09 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 115
Seriously. If you're weather is the first determinant, be more specific. Getting away from South Dakota winters probably rules out Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan as well. Do you just want less winter, or long for a virtually snow-free place where winter days get into the 50s or 60s, or to play in shorts and tee-shirt all winter?

And how do you feel about summer heat? Have you ever spent a summer in the Southeast?

When it comes to courses, there's a point of diminishing returns. If a city has 60 courses, are you really going to play them all? What you probably want is about 5 or 10 good-to-great courses within a reasonable drive, and the chance to make roadtrips to others.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJochims View Post
I'm not too worried about employment. I'm graduating with 2 BS degrees: Computer & Network Security, Computer Network & System Administration. There are tech jobs everywhere. I'm just mostly tired of harsh winters, I'm looking for something milder. I love Minnesota, but you guys get more snow than I do down here in South Dakota =P

this makes me chuckle. Good luck out there I hope you are right. I hear Pittsburg is becoming the silicon valley of the east -- and has some spectacular courses.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:11 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHearChains View Post
IMO it is much easier to play year-round in the north. Put on an extra layer and get out for a brisk round of winter golf. Finish the beer before it freezes, and skip shots off the water hazards. Good times. Summer golf means sunburn, bugs, packing up coolers, and lugging extra water around. 3 months of that is enough, who wants to deal with all that for 9 or more months out of the year?
Ha, skip shots off the ice that hit the only rough patch and stop 32' out when my retriever only goes 30'.....love winter golf :extremesarcasm
Old 10-21-2013, 09:15 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 21.4
Courses Played: 128
Throwing Style: RHFH
Another vote for NC, and I voted with my feet. When I retired and wanted to move away from the Wash.DC area, I chose Charlotte for a much lower cost of housing (compared to DC) and the DG scene.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.3
Courses Played: 115
One feature of Charlotte, especially if you're on the south side of town, is that Augusta is only an easy 2 hours or so away, with its own cluster of fine courses including the IDGC.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 32.8
Courses Played: 117
Awesome DavidSauls, I was just about to mention that if you live in Fort Mill South Carolina for instance (southern suburb of Charlotte), you're closer to Augusta (Georgia) than you are to Raleigh (North Carolina). There are probably similar other examples elsewhere.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by grodney View Post
That is a FANTASTIC idea.
Just did this for Indy, saw a new campground course, 9 holes, no pads, with a 4 rating. Think I need to go investigate...