Old 01-13-2014, 12:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 115
Scores are up.

Between the huge field, high winds, the struggles of weaker players, and re-climbing #18, seven groups didn't finish Saturday and had to come out early Sunday to finish their rounds. Mike Barnett & Co. did a terrific job of handling the scoreboard the setting tee-times, under the circumstances. The instigation of this drop zone, and moving everyone to the red tees on Sunday, were wise moves. I'm guessing they finished in the fading light, though I was gone by then.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 78
how did the course compare to last year?
Old 01-13-2014, 02:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
how did the course compare to last year?
Similar. Three good-to-great holes were gone; a great long hole, a very good short hole, and a much-improved #18 tee were added. A lot of unsettled debate over which version was tougher, and which was more fun.

I'm slightly partial to last year's version, myself. But only very slightly.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 68
Smile

What a great time and Mike definitely handled the night time debacle correctly. Those were a lot of my friends that had to finish next morning. I felt bad for them and we even talked about it happening on Friday as we joked about needing glow discs and UV lights. At first I was bummed not to get to throw long pads again Sunday but it just didn't add up and definitely seemed like a necessary move. Seemed like it knocked a good solid hour and half off our total round time as well.

I stayed all the way till the end. The last card putted out on 18 with maybe 5 - 10 minutes of playable daylight left. Advanced scores were tallied up in the dark while I pigged out on food truck grub waiting around only to find out I missed the payout by that 1 stupid stroke!! (damn that missed 8ft birdie putt on 17) lol

I shot +10 the first 9 holes of the tournament.. then proceeded to shoot +1 on the remaining 27 holes played. I demand a redo!!! *sigh till next year!
Old 01-14-2014, 04:57 PM
* Ace Member *

The obvious amount of work they put in to put this event on is insane. Just the course-work, for a property that's been neglected for a year (and who cut the branches of the pine tree hanging over the cliff, to make 18-blue possible????). Then about 14 miles of orange spray-paint. Mike & staff working from early morning into the night, with the check-in guy, the spotters, the parking lot attendants, and the rest. Mike was clearly up late on Saturday, working out the teetimes (they got posted about 10:00).

Far beyond what it takes to just run a tournament on an existing course---which is load, in itself.

A huge thanks to everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, who made it possible.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:06 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
The obvious amount of work they put in to put this event on is insane. Just the course-work, for a property that's been neglected for a year (and who cut the branches of the pine tree hanging over the cliff, to make 18-blue possible????). Then about 14 miles of orange spray-paint. Mike & staff working from early morning into the night, with the check-in guy, the spotters, the parking lot attendants, and the rest. Mike was clearly up late on Saturday, working out the teetimes (they got posted about 10:00).

Far beyond what it takes to just run a tournament on an existing course---which is load, in itself.

A huge thanks to everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, who made it possible.
I second this.

The Sun King crew worked their asses off, then have to turn around and make sure it's great again this year for the Pros!

Old 01-16-2014, 12:44 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 98
I felt bad for the groups that didn't finish Saturday and had to come back early Sunday until I realized they got to play the back nine without the WIND! That had to be some kind of advantage.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:30 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 28
Quote:
Similar. Three good-to-great holes were gone; a great long hole, a very good short hole, and a much-improved #18 tee were added. A lot of unsettled debate over which version was tougher, and which was more fun.

I'm slightly partial to last year's version, myself. But only very slightly.
I don't see how it could be unsettled.
The longs played about 7 strokes tougher than last year.
The shorts played probably less than a stroke harder.

I'd say a safe estimate as far as time per avg stroke on that course is around 4 or 5 minutes. So the long pads added around a half hour of play.
And with a staggered start, the flow is as slow as the slowest card on the course with residuals from already finished cards still in effect.

That being said, a half hour longer course, it probably wasn't good (except fotr those who got in because of it) to add 20 players more this year (40 minutes of more players)

Not complaining, I had a blast, and as stated; it took a ton of work to pull off.
Just constructive critique
Old 01-17-2014, 07:46 AM
* Ace Member *

The longs were played in pretty crazy winds, affecting drives and putts. At least part of the increase in scores, and playing time, can be attributed to this. I suspect a good part.

Holes 4 & 5 were fairly easy, splitting up what had been one very challenging hole. Hole 15 was much easier than it was last year. New hole 17 was a birdie run---even an ace run, without wind. One hole lost was the one that went over a hill, with a mando, down a ramp towards the road, turned right under live oak limbs, to a basket on a rise; I can't remember the number but it was a fairly challenging hole.

On the other hand, hole 14 was much tougher than the hole it replaced, and hole 18 was definitely a stroke harder with the change in tees, long and short. Hole 12 was probably a stroke harder. (Did Hole 6 have a new, longer blue tee?) Most of the rest of the course was the same.

So I'm not sure which was tougher, and heard people claiming both. I'm inclined to prefer the 2013 version, very slightly, as I miss the cool holes that were lost, a little bit more than I like the cool holes that were added.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:59 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 28
Quote:
The longs were played in pretty crazy winds, affecting drives and putts. At least part of the increase in scores, and playing time, can be attributed to this. I suspect a good part.

Holes 4 & 5 were fairly easy, splitting up what had been one very challenging hole. Hole 15 was much easier than it was last year. New hole 17 was a birdie run---even an ace run, without wind. One hole lost was the one that went over a hill, with a mando, down a ramp towards the road, turned right under live oak limbs, to a basket on a rise; I can't remember the number but it was a fairly challenging hole.

On the other hand, hole 14 was much tougher than the hole it replaced, and hole 18 was definitely a stroke harder with the change in tees, long and short. Hole 12 was probably a stroke harder. (Did Hole 6 have a new, longer blue tee?) Most of the rest of the course was the same.

So I'm not sure which was tougher, and heard people claiming both. I'm inclined to prefer the 2013 version, very slightly, as I miss the cool holes that were lost, a little bit more than I like the cool holes that were added.

As far as the winds, since we can't compare the long pads because they weren't played twice; the divisions that did play the same tee assignments both days (winds would affect any tee assignment on that course) had almost identical averages in scores from Saturday to Sunday.

And also on the wind, if Saturday was much worse, then when it came to Sunday and everyone was playing shorts; there was still barely enough daylight.

As for where the toughness came from.

Holes 3, 4, and 5 last year were arguably the easiest shots on the course, whose were gone.

18 was obviously much tougher.

Hole 12; MUCH tougher

Hole 14, MUCH tougher