Old 12-05-2013, 12:31 PM

Stability/wind questions

Greetings new member here, been playing about 8 months. I am wanting to have a "minimalist" bag if possible....and am trying to fully understand what the need for these heavily overstabe/hard fading discs is. I constantly hear people talk about wanting to "break them in" ie which means they will fly straighter/fade less......so it appears they want to beat this overstability out of them. So why not just get a more "neutral" fling disc....in a durable plastic..right from the get go?

I suppose the "headwind" issue is the answer in many cases...or the fact that some shots benefit from a hard fade. But....it seems the fade could still be achieved with proper release angle on a more "neutral" disc? As far as headwind.........I went to a field on a windy day and was hyzerflipping an MVP Axis directly into a headwind just fine.....it just seemed to require a more steep hyzer release angle than wih no wind.

Srry for the long question
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 180
I prefer over-stable discs for tournament play. I can go out for a casual round with only DX eagles and stingrays and learn how to hyzer flip them through the lines. However when I'm faced with a tournament round, throwing a disc that has to be thrown hard just to achieve the desired flight takes some of the variables out of play for me; making the game a bit more simple to manage.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:53 PM

Thanks for the response....but I still don't quite get it I guess. The "desired" flight that you mention..with an overstable disc thrown at the "optimal" power ..as shown on the flight charts..still results in a hard left fade....at least according to the flight charts. Most of the time....why would you want a hard left fade as opposed to a more staight flight?.......Again, I will hear people say..."well, after the disc gets broken in..some of this overstability gets beat out of it...and then it it will achieve this straighter flight that you want".....but again...why not just get a more neutral disc....in a durable plastic....right from the start then? Not trying to argue at all....and I have spent hours searching the forums before posting my question....but I still don't quite get it I guess.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Par Member

Longer lifespan in the bag. So many discs to audition for bag-time. If I buy a neutral flight-- Say TL-- I only get the neutral flight when throwing the disc flat (which is the angle I prefer) for a month or so... then I need to add more hyzer angle.

If I buy a Brinster- Bird, which is more over-stable, I get to throw flat for several months with this disc, which will help me build trust in It's flight.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandude View Post
Thanks for the response....but I still don't quite get it I guess. The "desired" flight that you mention..with an overstable disc thrown at the "optimal" power ..as shown on the flight charts..still results in a hard left fade....at least according to the flight charts. Most of the time....why would you want a hard left fade as opposed to a more staight flight?.......Again, I will hear people say..."well, after the disc gets broken in..some of this overstability gets beat out of it...and then it it will achieve this straighter flight that you want".....but again...why not just get a more neutral disc....in a durable plastic....right from the start then? Not trying to argue at all....and I have spent hours searching the forums before posting my question....but I still don't quite get it I guess.
the beauty about it is if you have the arm and you beat in a overstable hard fading disc a little you lose the hard fade but not the hss which keeps the disc on the line you want especially in a wind
Old 12-05-2013, 01:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
taken as an isolated incident, what you say would not make much sense. however, you must use context. not many people will try to beat in something that is stupid overstable. usually people go with the moderately OS discs because they are reliable, still fly pretty darn straight with a bit of fade, and then beat into perfection. also, not many people will try to beat in anything more premium than star plastic.

what happens is, your disc beats in to a certain point and then stays there for a long time. possibly even longer than a fresh disc stays fresh. that's why you find many people who cycle or choose various plastics in one mold to cover various shots.

wizards
rocs
PD

for example. these are all moderately overstable discs. workable out of the box, dependable enough to fight decent headwind, they season to incredibly straight fliers. that's an investment, yo.

the point is that as your disc beats in, you replace it with a fresh one in a different plastic or the same plastic depending on what you want. then you have the same mold for different shots. that's the context. i don't know many people who just buy one disc just to beat it in. it is usually paired with another of the same mold. otherwise you are wasting time and you won't have a ready replacement for your seasoned disc.

as far as why we throw VERY OS discs, it's for utility and monster skip shots, wind duty and reliability. when i say wind, i mean WIND. an OS disc is a reliable disc. you won't find many people throwing a firebird on a straight shot unless there is room for a big hyzer. you take what the disc does best and use it to your advantage whenever you can. throw the disc the way it wants to be thrown. it will do what it always does. as long as you know what it always does and can throw it the same way, then you're golden. your wind situation involves too many variables.

i used to throw an axis (it's my profile pic, for goodness' sake, love that disc) and may again. it's a good straight shooter. it can fight some wind if you adjust the angle. i have no problem doing that. but there is a threshold of risk v. reward. once it passes that threshold, just throw the disc that will always do what it wants to do. go straight and then fade.

Last edited by Kodachrome; 12-05-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:17 PM

Thanks guys. Bradly, is what you said about the TL(or any neutral disc) true even in premium plastic? It will begin to lose what stability it has that quick?.....also....I understand the lifecycle of an overstable disc....how it gradually loses some of this overstability over time.....but how about an understable disc.....does it become even "more" understable as it gets beat up?.....or pretty much stay the same stability wise its entire life cycle? I really appreciate the opinions of you guys on this.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandude View Post
Thanks guys. Bradly, is what you said about the TL(or any neutral disc) true even in premium plastic? It will begin to lose what stability it has that quick?.....also....I understand the lifecycle of an overstable disc....how it gradually loses some of this overstability over time.....but how about an understable disc.....does it become even "more" understable as it gets beat up?.....or pretty much stay the same stability wise its entire life cycle? I really appreciate the opinions of you guys on this.

yawn
Old 12-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
A headwind will cause a neutral disc to flip, sometimes you are faced with a headwind that is too stiff to throw a neutral disc on a hyzer angle. Instead of throwing a neutral disc vertical, you can throw an overstable disc flat or on a hyzer angle, depending on the severrity of the overstability.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:27 PM

Kiodachrome....thanks for the informative answer. One part that sticks out though..is where you mention "not many people will try to beat in anything more premium than star plastic" so again...if one was to go with the "neutral" disc....in PREMIUM plastic ( so hope it doesnt really "beat in" for a very long time).....wouldnt this achieve the same general outcome as waiting for a less durable plastc to "beat in"?...........I don't fully see the light just yet......but a few rays are now staerting to creep in