Old 11-06-2013, 12:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 32.6
Courses Played: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinosaurThunder View Post
Has anyone seen the guy who runs through the holes at Acorn playing through each group? He has an odd system where he tees off on a hole, runs back to the previous hole and putts out, then runs a hole a head to tee off again and continues this routine through all 18. He can be heard with his signature phrase "hey mind if I rip one and play through with you". This past Friday I ran into him again and he said he has been doing this since '97. Has anyone else seen this guy? This was the third time I have see him doing this and it really slowed down everyone's rounds with the confusion he creates on each hole.
That's Chuck Kennedy. Chuck being Chuck.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Rick Rolling, Rolling, Rolling...

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 90
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinosaurThunder View Post
Has anyone seen the guy who runs through the holes at Acorn playing through each group? He has an odd system where he tees off on a hole, runs back to the previous hole and putts out, then runs a hole a head to tee off again and continues this routine through all 18. He can be heard with his signature phrase "hey mind if I rip one and play through with you". This past Friday I ran into him again and he said he has been doing this since '97. Has anyone else seen this guy? This was the third time I have see him doing this and it really slowed down everyone's rounds with the confusion he creates on each hole.
I used to see this guy a ton at Acorn (and a couple of times at Kaposia) when I lived in the Cities.

Long, black curly hair, sort of short in stature?

Super nice, super annoying.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:19 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 572
Not me. Not running. To only have had black, curly hair... ever...
Old 11-06-2013, 12:23 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
ITT: Angry chub chubs
This post is extra funny with King Hippo saying it.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: LHBH
I am planning to play there again this Friday on my way home from work starting around 3. It will be interesting to see if Chuck is out there running in 30's and snowing!
Old 11-17-2013, 08:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 102
There are 2 runners I know of at Acorn, both regulars. One's name is Terry who looks to be 50-55 but is actually 65, he always plays solo and only plays acorn when I asked him. He usually runs but ironically I played 12 holes with him last week and he will slow it down. The other's name is Steve he is 45-50 and he is really well known at Acorn for going really really fast. He goes faster than anyone I have ever seen, occasionally he plays with his wife and son, he usually has a small dog chasing after him the whole round looking to keep up. Both are good guys, just let them go through.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:39 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 25
There's a guy I've seen doing a similar form of "Speed Golf" in my neck of the woods too. I thought the guy liked his cardio or something.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:06 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedV View Post
There's a guy I've seen doing a similar form of "Speed Golf" in my neck of the woods too. I thought the guy liked his cardio or something.
Same at my local course. We were on 10 and let him play through ..........as we were approaching 18 tee box here he came again on his second round! I would be worn out!
Old 11-17-2013, 11:17 PM
Michael Moore Fan Club President

Years Playing: 23.3
Courses Played: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyCritters View Post
I used to see this guy a ton at Acorn (and a couple of times at Kaposia) when I lived in the Cities.

Long, black curly hair, sort of short in stature?

Super nice, super annoying.
Yep thats him. Played with him a decade ago.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:22 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1
Courses Played: 12
Apparently this is not an uncommon phenomenon as I have seen "speed golfers" on a couple of occasions on two different courses myself (complete with dog in tow in one instance) and I have only played for about 3 months.

Probably just their cardio workout routine. I hate running myself, it's boring as heck to me. I would rather just go for a walk so that I can take time to at least enjoy the scenery. But walking is not as good a cadio workout as running. Incorporating DG into their running could be a way to fight the boredom of just running.

Neither of the guys I encountered hindered me in any way so I say more power to 'em. Maybe it will spawn a new biathlon sport along the lines of cross country skiing and riflery. If you have ever tried to run or cross country ski from station to station and engage a target with anything you would know how challenging this is.