Old 11-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: RHBH
How to Write a Review

I have been reading reviews for a while and I like using them to figure out what courses I want to play next. The only thing is it can be tough digging through reviews for one that is actually helpful. So I'm trying to put together a "how to" on how to write a review and I was going to submit it to "timg" to have him sticky it somewhere once it's polished up. This way people can use this guide as somewhat of a checklist when writing a review. This is what I have so far so tell me what you guys think and if I should add anything or change something. I already looked around and didn't see anything like this so I figured I'd put one together.

How to write a review. Use this as a guideline/checklist when writing your review. Thanks for using this site!

Topography – Elevation changes? Tightly wooded, wide open, or somewhere in between? Did the course offer scenic views? Was the course a good use of the land?

Difficulty – Was the course challenging or easy? Or was it “too” challenging with fairways just as wide as a disc? OB? Water? Mandos? Distances on holes?

Tee Signs – Are there any? Are they needed if not? How accurate are they? Are they easy to read?

Tees – How many? What material? Condition? Slippery? Grippy? Elevated tees?

Pins/Baskets – Old or new? What type of basket? Placement of pins good or bad? Elevated baskets?

Navigation – Arrows underneath basket? Clear pathways? Arrows along paths? Was the actual course easy to find? Did the front and back nine have two distinct loops? Was there maps available?

Maintenance – Was the course run down? Did the course look like the “Pebble Beach” of disc golf? Trash cleaned up?

Safety – Was there any dangers on the course? Close proximity to roads? Criss-crossing fairways? Possibility of throwing into other golfers?

Uniqueness – Singature holes? What stood out in this course compared to others?

Price – Free or pay-to-play?

Extras – Garbage cans? Benches? Scorecards available? Bulletin board with course info?

Park Amenities/Surrounding Area – Does the park or surrounding area offer anything else to do other than disc golf? Did you feel safe on the course (not a shady part of town)?
Old 11-01-2013, 09:54 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 815
Personally I cover everything but the last two things on your list (I think they're completely irrelevant to how much I would want to play the course). They're great things to consider when reviewing, but not everything on that list is important to every player and not everything that's important is on that list. I wouldn't like to see a list of topics that every review would include, you'd lose a lot of creativity from the good reviewers and the ones who write crappy reviews already aren't going to change because you sticky that.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:00 PM
International Hair Champion

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 73
Agreed with mash. I always try to include anything that conveys the personality of the course and
myself. I'm self-centered like that.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 159
Good list, and worthy of consideration, but at the risk of seeming like a Prerube, timg's tips on writing a good review are already there on the review page...

Perhaps this could be merged with that somehow.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 164
Not necessarily a bad list, and I'll admit, it'd be hard to write a bad review if you simply described each of those characteristics for a given course

But for the most part, effort shows. The people who care about writing good reviews do so. The people who don't want to put any effort into writing them don't, and likely only write reviews to cast a stone and make their ripple course ratings pond, and like Mashie said, that ain't gonna change.

For those reviewers who genuinely want to improve, reviewing your list to ensure they've touched on most of those attributes would be a good start, but I encourage them to find their own style in doing so.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:40 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisyphus View Post
Good list, and worthy of consideration, but at the risk of seeming like a Prerube, timg's tips on writing a good review are already there on the review page...
I looked up "review", "how to write a review", "writing reviews", "good reviews". I didn't even think to search "tips" along with it.

So it looks like this has already been done, I just couldn't find it. Oh, well. I'm still going to use my list as a general "checklist" when writing my future reviews. Feel free to do the same.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 73
I agree. Pretty good list. Using it as a reference might not be a bad idea for new reviewers. Like others have said, though, we don't want to take the creativity out of reviews from those that already do a good job. Nice idea! I hope that it proves useful in your reviews and for others!
Old 11-02-2013, 12:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.2
Courses Played: 178
I do not write reviews, but sure use them often. I actually enjoy the wider variety found in reviews. Without a scripting type format, reviewers are free to discuss what they find important to them or sometimes what they feel is important to their experience. I have found a couple handful of reviewers that have play many courses i have. I tend to look to their reviews of courses I am looking at to play and value their input in deciding if it is my type course. A template, while an intriguing idea, could potentially rob my "go to guys" of some of their unique insight. Maybe not, I am just expressing my enjoyment of many freelance efforts.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 106
if we all wrote reviews based on a checklist then all the reviews would be too similar. i like to read different thoughts.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 44.1
Courses Played: 50
I Like Your Style, JK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdisc View Post
if we all wrote reviews based on a checklist then all the reviews would be too similar. i like to read different thoughts.
Very good, succinct point you make there, sir. I read several of your reviews of courses with which I'm familiar and found them to be pretty much right on. In defense of the tee pads at Cedarock and Wellspring, I would offer that most of them are the original pads laid between 25 and 30 years ago, when the sport was a whole lot different.
I hope that you come back to the area again soon, so that you might play and review the new Springwood Players' Course on the west side of Burlington. It would be really cool if it were your 100th review.