Old 11-03-2013, 10:21 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 44
Tournament footage preferences

I just got done filming the lead card footage from the VPO. I enlisted the help of a friend so we were able to get two cameras on a number of shots so hopefully the combined footage will look good.

The question I have is what kind of format do people prefer? Are you more into the "set to music" style or would you rather have commentary voice over? Or do you have a different suggestion?

Any critiques and recommendations for putting the footage together is more than welcome.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2013, 10:26 PM
Par Member

Commentary is best. Music is second worst. Silence because youtube axed the audio is first worst.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:32 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Don't set it to music. Commentary can go either way. Audio from the actual footage is usually fine.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:35 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 7
Don't show tap in par putts.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:36 PM
.:Team Innova Crew:.

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 81
I love commentary, but only if it's done by the right people. Sometimes it can be very annoying.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:43 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 120
Don't use overly long intros, title card shots (if I can read the 10 words on the screen in 2 seconds, I hate having this shot shown for 5 seconds), or any music. Everyone watching the video likes disc golf, they don't all like the same music.

When I watch a video, I want it to get to the disc golf very quickly. I probably don't know the course they're playing and also don't care. Show me the holes as we go along.

Again, keep things moving.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:08 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by holly7845 View Post
I love commentary, but only if it's done by the right people. Sometimes it can be very annoying.
What makes certain commentaries annoying? I'd like to get another person to sit in with me and do the commentary, but I'm not sure who just yet.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 74
I like to see the rundown after each hole-
Score for that hole/score for the round/total score

A hole layout overlay is nice but not necessary if the footage is good. Commentary is hit or miss for me, I almost always prefer to just hear the sounds of the round and player banter.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:37 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 25
there are several things that make a good video I feel like, one is the resolution, I feel like a snob but its annoying if the video isn't in atleast 720 because it makes the disc hard to see. second knowing the score either with it on the bottom when each player is throwing or at the end of the hole show the round score and the overall score, I personally like to see both.. and third if the players aren't really well known its nice to have their names in a corner of the video while the throw. and finally I prefer commentary, a moving commentary is best like one that is continuously going not random comments blurted out, the EO video I think from spin tv was great with the 2 commentators "bouncing" off each other in their conversation but focused on the round being shown, that is when the commentary is best. another thing I would rather have the footage sound than music, maybe have an intro song but I prefer no music during the entirety of the video sorry for the wall of text..

Old 11-03-2013, 11:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretdance03 View Post
A hole layout overlay is nice but not necessary if the footage is good. Commentary is hit or miss for me, I almost always prefer to just hear the sounds of the round and player banter.
I like this a lot. As a competitive player, I always watch disc golf videos thinking, "Could I execute something like that?" or "What would I throw?" or "Where are they aiming, exactly?" So hole #, distance, map/layout is good.

Scores going in and updated between each hole. Indicators of any throws that go OB. No need to show tap-ins for par, but nice long par-saving putts are good to see. Not a huge fan of commentary, but a little would be fine. Honestly, I would rather just watch the action than hear someone talk about it.