Old 11-04-2013, 12:37 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 44
The video quality will hopefully be good enough. Both cameras shot in 1080/60. I was thinking of commentary like the EO and the Central Coast DG guys. I wasn't a big fan of what I heard from the USDGC this year.

I'll see what I can find/make for the hole layouts. If there are good quality tee signs I usually get a picture of them to use, but Veteran's Park doesn't have plus there 6 extra temp holes.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2013, 12:56 AM

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHBH
I can listen to bad commentary but the ones with music only take me about 30 seconds to get bored with. Some of them might as well be filmed field practice. You need a quick hole overview imho, otherwise its hard to see if they hit their line.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:13 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoloseth View Post
The video quality will hopefully be good enough. Both cameras shot in 1080/60. I was thinking of commentary like the EO and the Central Coast DG guys. I wasn't a big fan of what I heard from the USDGC this year.

I'll see what I can find/make for the hole layouts. If there are good quality tee signs I usually get a picture of them to use, but Veteran's Park doesn't have plus there 6 extra temp holes.
Fair enough. It's just a suggestion, and nice to have for viewers if you can get it in there. Especially if they haven't played the course before.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:18 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 44
duplicate

Last edited by geoloseth; 11-04-2013 at 01:19 AM. Reason: duplicate entry
Old 11-04-2013, 02:49 AM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 56
I am also fine with bad commentary. I prefer very little commentary over the original footage. Something about the sound of chains and pivots really makes me feel like I'm watching disc golf.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:23 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 117
Quote:

Limited commentary is ok. I didn't hear the USDGC, but dear god do not try to duplicate the efforts of the Central Coast guys! They are the 2 most annoying commentators I've heard, especially the main guy. I like the background noise (pivots, gallery, chains, etc)

If you're going to do commentary, facts are your friend.
What hole are they on
What are scores
Is there OB or other hole specific information that would be relevant to the listener?

Don't try and sensationalize it, or talk about your opinions of the hole or what you think the players are going to/have thrown or act all bro-tastic (my made up word) like you're old buddies with everyone that ever played discs golf. Also don't use idiotic slang like choice, cake or wicked as adjectives to describe anything. That's what the Central Coast guys do and I can't stand it. They may as well be doing a play by play on how to roll and smoke a dube and it just makes them sound like idiots
Old 11-04-2013, 04:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:

Video quality on the audience end (being the internet) has much more to do with compression rates on export than it does the pixel number. For example my SpinTV exports are all 720p, even though I shoot a mix of 720 and 1080. If you're unfamiliar or new to the post processes I'd take some time and do your due diligence, or you'll end up making the same mundane things that unfortunately disc golfers have come to accept as par for the course in terms of video...sorry does that sound jaded? Anyway...

Commentary is dangerous. Commentary is not easy. Don't American Idol yourself (you know, those people who think they can sing then try out and get laughed off the stage...). That's the best advice I could give. If you do decide to go this route with an amateur broadcaster...please please please don't wing it. Go through the cut, write a script, make notes, do multiple takes. Don't do it in a half hour in your basement while the washer and dryer are running.

**** there's so many Do Not's I could be here all night. My rule of thumb is, if you can't do it better than others, then do it different than they do.

Good luck though, seriously and sincerely.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:57 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 317
Quote:
Are you more into the "set to music" style or would you rather have commentary voice over? Or do you have a different suggestion?
My suggestion is do neither and let the natural sounds do their magic.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:19 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector Chain View Post
Everyone watching the video likes disc golf, they don't all like the same music.
Cough (mmike) Cough!

Old 11-04-2013, 08:28 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
Commentary is dangerous. Commentary is not easy. Don't American Idol yourself (you know, those people who think they can sing then try out and get laughed off the stage...). That's the best advice I could give. If you do decide to go this route with an amateur broadcaster...please please please don't wing it. Go through the cut, write a script, make notes, do multiple takes. Don't do it in a half hour in your basement while the washer and dryer are running.
DING! DING! DING! WE HAVE A WINNER!

The best commentators are (1) well-spoken, (2) have pleasant voices, (3) can make reading a script sound like live, spontaneous commentary, and (4) know enough about disc golf generally and the course being played in particular not only to describe the action taking place on screen but to provide insight into the players' strategy/thinking on any given throw.

The BEST commentators I've seen/heard over the years are Des Reading and Juliana Korver. Scare up a copy of the USDGC 2000 videos if you haven't heard them in action. IMO, none of the current commentators even come close to measuring up.