#31  
Old 11-04-2013, 11:18 AM
PerpetualNewbie PerpetualNewbie is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northeast Kansas
Years Playing: 1
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 222
Lots of good thoughts here, most of which mirror my own.

First, because it can't be said enough, "no music"...

One thing I would add because I haven't seen it mentioned... if you're going to show scores after holing out (which you should) AND you're going to show a graphic of the layout for the upcoming hole (which you also should), please DON'T put them on the same screen... instead, show the scores and round standings for a few seconds, then fade over to the graphic for the next hole. One tournament video I watched tried to have the graphic on the left and scores on the right and I found it impossible to concentrate on either and they didn't leave them up on-screen for nearly long enough. Of course you can just use the pause button on the video player, but that is annoying to do after every hole.

Regarding commentary, I really like the way the young guys from the "lcgm8" youtube channel do theirs, nice and casual but they're obviously players and enthusiasts and it feels really natural. I've watched some tournament coverage (Disc Golf Monthly vids maybe...?) that seemed pretty dry and boring, more like commentators on TV broadcasts of ball golf tournaments, which don't click with me.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-04-2013, 11:52 AM
filobedo's Avatar
filobedo filobedo is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mt Pleasant, SC
Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 160
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 323
I know this is sometimes difficult, but I wish more coverage noted what disc each player is throwing on shots regardless if it is a driver, midrange or putter. I watch a lot of the Golf Channel and PGA tour events and normally their is a commentator on the course with the players who states what club they are using. This is much easier in traditional golf because the loft of each club or head size is easier to determine what club is being used.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-04-2013, 01:25 PM
DG_Before_Breakfast's Avatar
DG_Before_Breakfast DG_Before_Breakfast is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 785
Commentary rules. The best right now IMO is Ian from Central Coast Disc Golf (CCDG). The Euros have him doing tournaments they have filmed over there now on lcgm8.

Plus ideally you do the following:

- Before the round starts, or even that part if its multipart video, show each of the players with their names listed, ideally during their intro on the course. Also show their current score in the tournament.
- Before each hole, show:
*the hole layout on the map.
*a shot from behind the tee with the placement of the Pin drawn in, so you can see where they are aiming
* The score on the last hole, and the current overall score.
- When each player comes up to take a shot, show the Disc they are using. This is hard to get from the players, but makes a huge different to the people watching.
- When they are putting, indicate what score they are going for (eagle, birdie, par, bogey, 2x bogey, etc.). When it goes in, indicate what they got.

To me, the best stuff out there right now is CCDG. Check out their coverage of the 2013 Master's Cup for a great example of all this stuff in action. Other people might be better cameramen, but the whole package from CCDG is fun to watch.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-04-2013, 01:32 PM
JTacoma03's Avatar
JTacoma03 JTacoma03 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, LA and SF, CA
Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 2,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoloseth View Post
Thanks for all the input so far. It sounds like VERY limited commentary and more (but limited) play by play is what people prefer. I agree with JC and that's why I pointed out the USDGC coverage. It became very repetitive in the commentary side. If they had switched to a more play calling nature it would have added more to the broadcast .

JT: I love going through the SpinTV website. Between what you guys have starting doing and Bobby (CoolDaddySlickBreeze) has made over the years it's made me want to get out and film more of the events in my area.
Very cool man. If I can help or answer any questions, etc. please feel free to PM me. It's all about pushing the envelope and making our sports media presence better! Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-04-2013, 02:02 PM
geoloseth's Avatar
geoloseth geoloseth is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North DFW
Courses Played: 43
Posts: 85
Watched some of the 2013 Masters Cup video. I like the paused frame so they can highlight the hole location. I'll try to figure something like that. I know what McCabe was throwing for most of his shots, however most of the other guys on the lead card had pretty mixed bags. It was interesting seeing some shots on the first day, seeing the results, hearing what people speculated they threw, and then finally asking them what it was and being completely off. Like McBeth throwing the 330 uphill shot OB. Everyone was saying it was a roc...teebird. I didn't even think to ask them what discs were what on the final round (mostly trying to stay invisible since 1st place was worth $1,100).

I think the CCDG guys do a little more conversation/talking that I could pull off. Right now though I've got to convert all of the MOV files to MP4 so I can start putting them in order and seeing what I have.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Hyzer Ale's Avatar
Hyzer Ale Hyzer Ale is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Jose, CA
Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 195
Although I enjoy good commentary I like the videos where the graphics are the commentary. Putting at the beginning of hole a picture of the map with par and current scores. Then showing what disc is being thrown if possible. Putting up birdie, par, bogey etc. when a player holes out and then an updated score at the end. If you do commentary I like it to be minimal so that we can still hear the sounds of the game.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-04-2013, 02:41 PM
JC17393 JC17393 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Years Playing: 16.3
Courses Played: 112
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by filobedo View Post
I know this is sometimes difficult, but I wish more coverage noted what disc each player is throwing on shots regardless if it is a driver, midrange or putter. I watch a lot of the Golf Channel and PGA tour events and normally their is a commentator on the course with the players who states what club they are using. This is much easier in traditional golf because the loft of each club or head size is easier to determine what club is being used.
Like you say, in general, identifying a club is far easier than identifying a disc. But something to keep in mind is that when they identify the club, they are only identifying the type (3-wood, 5-iron, loft wedge, etc), which tend to be fairly universal in every player's bag. What they rarely do is specify the brand or model of the club, though brand can be inferred based on the player's sponsorship (i.e. a Nike player is hitting with Nike brand clubs).

It probably isn't unreasonable to expect a disc golf announcer to be able to distinguish between a distance driver and a midrange in a similar manner, and I've heard plenty of commentary that does do that, including on live DGP broadcasts. Identifying a specific model or even plastic type is something different entirely.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-04-2013, 03:23 PM
DG_Before_Breakfast's Avatar
DG_Before_Breakfast DG_Before_Breakfast is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Like you say, in general, identifying a club is far easier than identifying a disc. But something to keep in mind is that when they identify the club, they are only identifying the type (3-wood, 5-iron, loft wedge, etc), which tend to be fairly universal in every player's bag. What they rarely do is specify the brand or model of the club, though brand can be inferred based on the player's sponsorship (i.e. a Nike player is hitting with Nike brand clubs).

It probably isn't unreasonable to expect a disc golf announcer to be able to distinguish between a distance driver and a midrange in a similar manner, and I've heard plenty of commentary that does do that, including on live DGP broadcasts. Identifying a specific model or even plastic type is something different entirely.
Right, they don't say "Macgregor Tourney Mashie, 4th run, with 3.5 years of wear". They just say Wedge.

Whereas I'm sure some Disc Golf geeks would like to know all that:

"Midrange, Innova Roc, Rancho, 11x KC, Pro plastic, with 3 years of wear"

OP: Glad you checked out the CCDG guys at the Master's Cup. I thought that was some very entertaining coverage of DG.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-05-2013, 10:35 AM
geoloseth's Avatar
geoloseth geoloseth is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: North DFW
Courses Played: 43
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG_Before_Breakfast View Post
Right, they don't say "Macgregor Tourney Mashie, 4th run, with 3.5 years of wear". They just say Wedge.

Whereas I'm sure some Disc Golf geeks would like to know all that:

"Midrange, Innova Roc, Rancho, 11x KC, Pro plastic, with 3 years of wear"

OP: Glad you checked out the CCDG guys at the Master's Cup. I thought that was some very entertaining coverage of DG.
Yes the CCDG guys are pretty entertaining. For my personal taste it's a little more 'banter' focused than I'll have in my video, that's why it's good to be the king.

I'll try to identify the disc types as best as I can. After following these guys around all day I started to notice that they were throwing the same handful of discs repeatedly.
Reply With Quote
 
  

  #40  
Old 11-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Guurn Guurn is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mpls, Mn
Years Playing: 27.9
Courses Played: 81
Posts: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG_Before_Breakfast View Post
Commentary rules. The best right now IMO is Ian from Central Coast Disc Golf (CCDG). The Euros have him doing tournaments they have filmed over there now on lcgm8.

Plus ideally you do the following:

- Before the round starts, or even that part if its multipart video, show each of the players with their names listed, ideally during their intro on the course. Also show their current score in the tournament.
- Before each hole, show:
*the hole layout on the map.
*a shot from behind the tee with the placement of the Pin drawn in, so you can see where they are aiming
* The score on the last hole, and the current overall score.
- When each player comes up to take a shot, show the Disc they are using. This is hard to get from the players, but makes a huge different to the people watching.
- When they are putting, indicate what score they are going for (eagle, birdie, par, bogey, 2x bogey, etc.). When it goes in, indicate what they got.

To me, the best stuff out there right now is CCDG. Check out their coverage of the 2013 Master's Cup for a great example of all this stuff in action. Other people might be better cameramen, but the whole package from CCDG is fun to watch.
This
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.