Old 11-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Great discussion. Those of you producing videos are welcome to drop me a note if you are interested in adding your creations to upcoming episodes of Disc Golf Live video magazine. DGL is broadcast in communities across the country and we welcome others to add their voices to the mix in order to promote their local courses, events, players, etc. We have enjoyed submissions from CCDG, "the Euros," ClashDVD, Vibram, and many others through the year's the show has been in production. Others are always welcome.

Part 1 of the most recent episode:

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Take care,

Joe
Old 11-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 44
Update: I've cut the two camera angles together for two holes and I'm running into what could be more than a slight problem. For two holes the initial cut was over 10 minutes long (including the opening frame for the introductions). I'm realizing now that this might be a longer video than what most people like (me included) due to this being a 24 hole layout final round and a 5 man lead card.

Here's another question. Should I just break it up into two 12 hole sections and post it that way? Either way, what would everyone consider a good runtime for each section so the videos remain watchable and not like an extended, scenes added, credits included, super special directors cut of "Lord of the Rings"?
Old 11-08-2013, 03:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 101
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoloseth View Post
Update: I've cut the two camera angles together for two holes and I'm running into what could be more than a slight problem. For two holes the initial cut was over 10 minutes long (including the opening frame for the introductions). I'm realizing now that this might be a longer video than what most people like (me included) due to this being a 24 hole layout final round and a 5 man lead card.

Here's another question. Should I just break it up into two 12 hole sections and post it that way? Either way, what would everyone consider a good runtime for each section so the videos remain watchable and not like an extended, scenes added, credits included, super special directors cut of "Lord of the Rings"?
You're looking at a 2-hour video (a feature length film) or two 1-hour videos.

Cut it down. Nobody is going to watch it. Aim for 15min. for 12 holes to start.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 116
Agree with JT. What exactly are you including that the video is winding up that long? I would think 5-6 seconds per player's shot would be more than adequate (shows just their run-up, throw and the flight/result of the disc). 5 players X ~3 shots each = ~1-1.5 minutes per hole, presuming you cut out any drop-ins at the end and have a screen with the updated scoreboard inserted in as well.

I would think at that rate, you should be in the 12-15 minute ballpark for half the round (12 holes). Remember, the primary purpose of editing is to cut out the non-action parts of the round. We don't need to see the players milling/joking around or searching their bags for the right disc or their mini or what-not. Action, action, action.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Eagle Member

9 holes should be ~25-30 minutes by the CCDG standard. 24 holes should be more like 1:20. You should split it into 2 or 3 episodes.

Personally, I don't mind a bit of extra fluff if its interesting. Like some shots of the Gallery walking up when the Masters are in the gallery (e.g. Ken Climo, Barry Shultz), or to stop at one long tee and get slo-mos of the Pros with commentary (I'm just stealing things CCDG did here).
Old 11-08-2013, 05:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG_Before_Breakfast View Post
9 holes should be ~25-30 minutes by the CCDG standard. 24 holes should be more like 1:20. You should split it into 2 or 3 episodes.

Personally, I don't mind a bit of extra fluff if its interesting. Like some shots of the Gallery walking up when the Masters are in the gallery (e.g. Ken Climo, Barry Shultz), or to stop at one long tee and get slo-mos of the Pros with commentary (I'm just stealing things CCDG did here).
You're really going to spend almost 90 minutes of your day watching amateur footage? I'd turn it off after 10 minutes max.

(no offense intended to geoseleth or other videographers by that statement, it's more a comment on means and resources, not necessarily skills)
Old 11-08-2013, 05:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: RHBH
Personally I prefer music to narration. If it sucks its not tough to mute it, whether its bad commentary or bad music. I hate narrating videos though....don't mind watching narrated ones, but I feel like a tool when I narrate my own haha.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:58 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
You're really going to spend almost 90 minutes of your day watching amateur footage? I'd turn it off after 10 minutes max.

(no offense intended to geoseleth or other videographers by that statement, it's more a comment on means and resources, not necessarily skills)
I have done so, yes. Typically not Am, but I have. e.g.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cnll...17C918701E5469

My favorite DG coverage to date is the 2013 Masters Cup, which are Pros, and at my home course, so I'm biased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_krQn...Dj9a8p3JpNWKxM

I also have to admit, I typically like to watch when I can finally relax, late at night, often rubbing my wife's feet while she falls asleep. And I have fallen asleep myself on more than one occasion. Doesn't detract from the fact that I really enjoy watching it, and look forward to new stuff when it comes out.

Gonna subscribe to your channel and see what your coverage is like now.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG_Before_Breakfast View Post
I have done so, yes. Typically not Am, but I have. e.g.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Cnll...17C918701E5469

My favorite DG coverage to date is the 2013 Masters Cup, which are Pros, and at my home course, so I'm biased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_krQn...Dj9a8p3JpNWKxM

I also have to admit, I typically like to watch when I can finally relax, late at night, often rubbing my wife's feet while she falls asleep. And I have fallen asleep myself on more than one occasion. Doesn't detract from the fact that I really enjoy watching it, and look forward to new stuff when it comes out.

Gonna subscribe to your channel and see what your coverage is like now.
Re-read my post though, you're attributing the adjective to the wrong noun

I'll take more subscribers and views. There's only one video though, because I got picked up by SpinTV shortly thereafter...eventually I will do some more cuts for that channel, but Spin keeps me busy right now.

Also, what up Santa Cruz...you've probably seen me before and didn't realize it

Old 11-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Eagle Member

OK ya, I gotcha now. You are probably right on that.

I very much enjoy TheSpinTV as well. They certainly make the videos there more engaging to watch, with music, shorter clips, fast paced , etc. but I also enjoy relaxing and watching a whole round with commentary - just seeing what the Pros do in different positions, or learning about other courses.

What up! Maybe I have, you look familiar. I'm the one playing Dela first thing in the morning We probably know of the same people. Like Ben Baker, who would be jealous of your SpinTV job :P I'm DG buddies with his Dad, but I don't play much socially beyond a few friends. Gonna try to get into Tournaments one of these days.