Old 11-13-2013, 10:26 PM
Rick Rolling, Rolling, Rolling...

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 111
Throwing Style: RHBH
DG Unchained Video Game Event at Glide

Thought I'd pimp this cool event at Glide in Madison coming up a week from tonight.

Local Route Labs is hosting a video game demo and Q&A at Madison's finest disc golf shop.

Disc golf + video games PLUS Ale Asylum beer and Ian's Pizza? C'mon...No brainer.

I will definitely be there and you should be too.

More info here.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 71
Sounds awesome. I will have to admit I felt slightly disappointed when I read "when game is released on mobile devices". My hopes are still up for a dedicated disc golf game on one of the big consoles. But who knows, maybe if this goes well, that will be the next step. I know I'd pay for a disc golf game on the PS4.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:56 PM
Rick Rolling, Rolling, Rolling...

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by knettles View Post
Sounds awesome. I will have to admit I felt slightly disappointed when I read "when game is released on mobile devices". My hopes are still up for a dedicated disc golf game on one of the big consoles. But who knows, maybe if this goes well, that will be the next step. I know I'd pay for a disc golf game on the PS4.
I'm with ya. My son actually said the same thing.

I'm excited because I'm NOT a console guy. After NES? Just never got into it.

Games on my phone? Yeah, I'll do that.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:01 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 22
It's FAR easier to code an app for a smartphone and get it into the various app stores than it is to get something written for a console.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkelly42 View Post
It's FAR easier to code an app for a smartphone and get it into the various app stores than it is to get something written for a console.
Oh, I definitely agree. However, consoles are starting to make it easier these days for indie developers. There's alot of small games you can buy on the Playstation Store or XBox Live for $2 to $15 a pop. Some of them are even being developed by one man teams. In a way many of these games are identical to ones coming out on IOS/Android (Angry Birds anyone?). I could see this happening without much trouble. Graphics wouldn't have to be mind blowing, and the size of the game would be on a smaller scale. It would be nice if the new systems that come out in a couple days continue the trend in helping out indie developers even more so.

Who knows, tomorrow's a disc golf game on my smart phone. Maybe six months there'll be one going for $10 on the Playstation Store. Then in two years we've got a full blown $60 blockbuster on the PS4 in HD graphics with a realistic physics engine and celebrity mo-cap actors. Well, maybe not.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:29 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 34
probably going off topic here... sorry OP.

crowdfunding + steam green light = best bet for a top-tier DG game.

i've always thought something modeled after Tiger Woods PGA Tour <insert year here>, minus a bunch of the fluffy cruft that has barnacled its way into the series, would be an ideal model.

detailed recreations of 'famous' courses and mostly-realistic physics being the core focus. not so much on arcade style nonsense (combos, super moves, etc).

really though. its such a niche audience. you almost HAVE to make it arcade style for it to catch on in any meaningful way these days and have any attempt at ROI. The Wii DG game is probably the most successful one in the bunch... and its pure arcade. Not to mention it came packaged with plenty of the consoles.

Last edited by Anon; 11-13-2013 at 11:32 PM.