Old 11-08-2013, 02:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
The only way this game will grow is if it's played at events which also happen to include disc golf on the side. Think tourneys with alcohol flowing, music, entertainment...etc. Right now NOBODY from the outside cares about disc golf. You have to draw people to it somehow.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:39 PM
*#!SuiCiDe AnKLeS*$$

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
The only way this game will grow is if it's played at events which also happen to include disc golf on the side. Think tourneys with alcohol flowing, music, entertainment...etc. Right now NOBODY from the outside cares about disc golf. You have to draw people to it somehow.
Or start using it for charity events, sponsored by the big DG companies. Discing for Cancer, or something of that ilk. Whatever it takes to get more people interested.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
actually a little curious...who is they? (not sure you will answer, wouldn't expect it either)
Slider, you are they and I like many others on this forum grow tired of your incessant nagging about weed and alcohol.

Sorry I would have replied to your inquiry much sooner but I only frequent this forum during work hours. Most of time it helps my day go by faster. This thread is a perfect example.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
Or start using it for charity events, sponsored by the big DG companies. Discing for Cancer, or something of that ilk. Whatever it takes to get more people interested.
By this I take it you feel the sport needs more people. Why?
Old 11-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Eagle Member

most of the people i meet on the course have no idea there are pro players, let alone a pro tour

pro tour could vanish and only a small handful of people would notice

ob-la-di ob-la-da life will go on
Old 11-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disc qualified View Post
most of the people i meet on the course have no idea there are pro players, let alone a pro tour

ob-la-di ob-la-da life will go on
that's my point as well
Old 11-08-2013, 03:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by disc qualified View Post

I don't know about "most," but a fairly high percentage of players don't know the PDGA exists.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
I don't know about "most," but a fairly high percentage of players don't know the PDGA exists.
I support the PDGA. Standardized rules alone are reason for support

what I question is this dream of a mainstream, big money tour for the elites of the sport
Old 11-08-2013, 03:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
No one who knows me and knows about the local and youth disc golf programs I organize would say I've given up on disc golf. So far as the status quo goes, in disc golf the status quo has always been the people with their fingers crossed saying professional disc golf will work if we just keep beating this dead horse. I am in no way advocating the status quo, I'm saying the status quo is never going to work and is a waste of time.

So far is being in your way, the PDGA mindset is in my way. Way back in the 90's I proposed to the PDGA that we start a committee of people inside the parks and recreation profession and work to promote disc golf as a recreational activity within the mainstream parks and recreation industry. I got the usual "we have something big in the works" answer and was told the PDGA wasn't interested in promoting disc golf as a recreational activity. That put me on the outside; I do my thing entirely separate from you.

As I do my thing, the expectation from players is that I am going to provide events with unsustainable payouts over 100% of what they pay in. They expect that because that is what the PDGA has done for years; bribe people to play disc golf with inflated payouts. When I organize a sustainable series of disc golf events, they say I'm "ripping them off." You have to have a sponsor pumping money into events at every level, even the very lowest recreational level, to avoid being accused of ripping people off. That entitled attitude by the players toward what should be a recreational activity ties my hands.
Fair enough, and you make some great points. The big difference in things that are happening now is that we're not trying to give the pros more money. We're trying to create a product which is more lucrative, yes, but carries certain stipulations on and off the course. It won't change everybody, but that can't be the goal anyway as it's impossible to accomplish. The goal is to change the public perception.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumber View Post
I support the PDGA. Standardized rules alone are reason for support

what I question is this dream of a mainstream, big money tour for the elites of the sport
Yea, off the top of my head I can't think of a single reason that I'd want to see the Tour grow.

Ok, got one. If only to allow Tour players to at least make a livable wage playing this game. Not rich like the other spoiled brats from other sports. Just enough to be able to afford a hotel room, and not have to crash on someone's couch while traveling.