Old 11-08-2013, 03:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 138
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to New013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
I don't know that I've seen any real talk about the PDGA eliminating payouts at all events, just that they're doing it at some of the bigger events.
I've heard some things. It's the direction they're wanting to push things in.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
Ok, got one. If only to allow Tour players to at least make a livable wage playing this game. Not rich like the other spoiled brats from other sports. Just enough to be able to afford a hotel room, and not have to crash on someone's couch while traveling.
I guess I don't see what a tour that allows for a livable wage really adds to the DG world.

any benefits that accrue to the top players in the league should be ancillary benefits that spun out from long term, strategic support for the grass roots of the game
Old 11-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.3
Courses Played: 178
Quote:
Yea, off the top of my head I can't think of a single reason that I'd want to see the Tour grow.

Ok, got one. If only to allow Tour players to at least make a livable wage playing this game. Not rich like the other spoiled brats from other sports. Just enough to be able to afford a hotel room, and not have to crash on someone's couch while traveling.
Funny, this made me think. I am a stauch off road rally enthusiast. I go to several races every year. The sport is very niche in this country and struggle along on the back of the participants spending their own dime to participate for little prize money, nor fame. Along came SoBe, Monster, Red Bull....Pastrana, Deegan, Faust with a boatload of cash. They participated for a couple years and the series flourished....for them. Bored, these "athletes" moved on to form a sport called RallyCross. Nothing really resembling rally. The sport was left destroyed. I am convinced if asked, the other 95% of drivers would not consider the "going mainstream" postive. Either now or at that time. Disc golf is a very large community, most of which would not be impacted positively by the game "making it".
Old 11-08-2013, 03:53 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: LHBH
The thread has drifted somewhat.
Still waiting for Barsby to elaborate and clarify some of his complaints.

In the meantime, some thoughts:
The PDGA was founded by Pros, for Pros; and is largely run by Pros for Pros.
Fact is, the Pros are a very small proportion of the DG world.
The PDGA is largely unconcerned with growing the sport on a recreational level. Just look at their expenditures to see where their focus is at.

The overwhelming majority of disc golf participants are people that have never even played in a tourney, and wouldn't want to.

Personally, I don't think weed or alcohol has any bearing on the growth of the sport. It's a niche sport at best and our best chance at growth is to spread the word at a recreational level.
Numbers will drive major sponsors, regardless of reputation.
Grow the sport at the recreational level and get Mom and Dad involved in driving little Johnny or Jane to the course to play. That's where the growth of the sport will come, from the ground up.

Look where Soccer or Lacrosse was 30 years ago. By getting into the schools and getting families involved, they grew from a small niche into a movement.

Most of what the PDGA has done for the last 30 years is try to figure out ways to enrich Pro purses and increase tournament participation, to enrich Pro purses.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 1
Maybe we're destined to always be a small niche sport. After reading the last two posts...that might be a bad thing afterall.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumber View Post
I guess I don't see what a tour that allows for a livable wage really adds to the DG world.

any benefits that accrue to the top players in the league should be ancillary benefits that spun out from long term, strategic support for the grass roots of the game
I see some contradiction in these thoughts. While it is great to want more grass roots participation, play it in high schools, colleges, etc. However, DG is a competitive game. It is not hula hoops or lawn darts. Having a successful model that will allow and encourage people to be really good. Best in State, Best in Country, Best in World, all are natural outgrowths of a competitive sport. So those that say "blow up all the major tournaments" are effectively neutering the competitive pinnacle of the game.

I agree that sponsor money is what will grow the prize pool. Increase the participative nature of the game (a la skiing) and more money will flow into the game.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:16 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 130
Quote:
Yea, off the top of my head I can't think of a single reason that I'd want to see the Tour grow.

That is their choice. They have a decision to make, and if they decide they want the life they have to accept the downside. It's not our responsibility to make their life easier, and focusing on attempting to make their life easier has caused us to miss opportunities to promote the sport IMO.

It's our history, though. Disc golf started upside-down. There was professional disc golf before there was amateur disc golf. The professional side has been waiting for the amateur side to develop instead of the other way around. It has skewed our priorities since the start.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:23 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 130
Quote:
Maybe we're destined to always be a small niche sport. After reading the last two posts...that might be a bad thing afterall.
One of the things I have predicted for years is that if there ever was a big-dollar sponsor for the PDGA tour, the local clubs would be forced out of the big PDGA events. Why would you tie up a lot of money in an event and leave it in the hands of a dysfunctional group of Frisbee freaks? Re-read threads about Pro World's this year if you wonder what I'm talking about. The people who have built this sport and carried the PDGA tour on their backs will be out, replaced by a for-profit entity.

Whether that is a good or bad thing depends on your point of view.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.3
Courses Played: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
The thread has drifted somewhat.
Still waiting for Barsby to elaborate and clarify some of his complaints.

In the meantime, some thoughts:
The PDGA was founded by Pros, for Pros; and is largely run by Pros for Pros.
Fact is, the Pros are a very small proportion of the DG world.
The PDGA is largely unconcerned with growing the sport on a recreational level. Just look at their expenditures to see where their focus is at.

The overwhelming majority of disc golf participants are people that have never even played in a tourney, and wouldn't want to.

Personally, I don't think weed or alcohol has any bearing on the growth of the sport. It's a niche sport at best and our best chance at growth is to spread the word at a recreational level.
Numbers will drive major sponsors, regardless of reputation.
Grow the sport at the recreational level and get Mom and Dad involved in driving little Johnny or Jane to the course to play. That's where the growth of the sport will come, from the ground up.

Look where Soccer or Lacrosse was 30 years ago. By getting into the schools and getting families involved, they grew from a small niche into a movement.

Most of what the PDGA has done for the last 30 years is try to figure out ways to enrich Pro purses and increase tournament participation, to enrich Pro purses.
Nice summary. I don't think the discussed substances use has impacted ball golf too much. It is certainly as prevelent there as on a disc golf course.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
....big-dollar sponsor... the local clubs would be forced out.... ...tie up a lot of money in an event and leave it in the hands of a dysfunctional group ...

Whether that is a good or bad thing depends on your point of view.
I dunno man, arming the Taliban doesn't seem like that bad of an idea.