Old 11-06-2013, 11:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 56
So am i the only one who understood this to mean that, the bead was there to help mantain stability and slow down rim wear, and help maintain intended flight characteristics for longer?

After i watched it again i thought this might be what he meant as opposed to the meaning we are discussing to this point
Old 11-06-2013, 11:12 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwingles View Post
So am i the only one who understood this to mean that, the bead was there to help mantain stability and slow down rim wear, and help maintain intended flight characteristics for longer?

After i watched it again i thought this might be what he meant as opposed to the meaning we are discussing to this point
That's what I heard.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:21 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwingles View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
That's what I heard.
That is also how I heard/interpreted his statement. It helps the disc retain its stability for a longer period of time by generating a bumper of sorts that allows slower wear of the bottom edge.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:37 AM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 41
That's what I had always heard about beads. I had never any of this "bead makes the disc more overstable" nonsense until I came on this site. It's tough though, because any disc I've thrown with a bead is overstable to stable with or without the bead. It's not like the put a bead on an Archangle and all of the sudden it's a Teebird, or whatever.

Case in point: Tank vs. Rhyno...both overstable. For me, they fly the same. I prefer the Rhyno for putting, and the Tank for driving, but they really fly the same.

But then you have something like the Aviar...JKs and KCs are certainly more overstable than a small bead, which is more overstable than a regular Aviar (at least in my experience). But then you have a Yeti, which is about the same stability as a P and A...thanks to the concave top. What a mess.

I would reckon that the bead was originally intended, back in the old DX-only days, to merely make a longer lasting disc. Comfort was an awesome by-product of that. And, on certain models, it also made them SLIGHTLY more overstable.

Therefore...everyone is right. That doesn't happen too often.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:09 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 17
Ok. I can see how the bead keeps stability longer. The way it wears down would not adjust the rim angle. You cannot say that a be a doesn't make the disc more stable. Look at a Buzzz, and Wasp.

Maybe if he says that if we molded the same concave rim without the bead it would have the same flight but without the amount of wear resistance. That would make more sense.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 56
I agree shawn. Although it wasnt intended to happen that way, it is a bi product
Old 11-07-2013, 08:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: LHBH
wouldn't a beaded version of the same non-beaded mold have a higher parting line?
Old 11-07-2013, 11:22 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 75
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrawk View Post
wouldn't a beaded version of the same non-beaded mold have a higher parting line?
Depends if the bead was chopped off (i.e. Buzzz and Wasp) or replaced with a straight bead of material instead of the rounded material (i.e. Roc vs. shark, I know the Shark isn't exactly a beadless Roc, but close enough.)
Comparing PLH only makes a difference when comparing same molds.

It's interesting that the Buzzz was originally marketed a a super straight modified Wasp, that is Discraft took advantage of the fact that the bead adds overstability and chopped the bead off the Wasp to make the buzzz.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:03 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 104
Monkeypaws-- you might enjoy reading this thread too

Old 02-19-2014, 10:32 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
Comfort was an awesome by-product of that.
It comes down to personal taste really, but I was surprised to hear how many people like the feel of a rim. I strongly dislike them.