Old 11-08-2013, 10:13 PM

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Uphill shots

What is the most effective technique to use for uphill shots?
Old 11-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
if you have a blizzard disc, it is not a bad idea to take a lighter weight and thow uphill. but that depends on distance. if you are talking 300-500 feet then blizzard would be good. but height equals more power.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:04 PM

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
The area where I live is very flat, so I don't get much practice throwing either uphill or downhill. When I play at courses away from my area, though, the long uphill holes are difficult for me. I'm throwing pretty light discs.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 46
Aim higher than normal and compensate for the extra over stability uphill shots add by throwing with less hyzer, throwing a ligher disc, or a more understable mold. For example if you normally throw a buzz for a 200' flat hole, consider a meteor for a 180' uphill hole.

Also keep in mind if a hole is 300' long and 15' uphill, it will play more like ~350' than 300'.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:12 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 17
For me, it helps to crouch down much lower than my normal shot stance. Seems to provide more potential for exploding out and up to get that thing up the hill.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:49 AM
Par Member

I like using something stable to under stable( not overstable), thrown flat or on an Anny.
If its a short steep hill, same concept but like to use putters or mids, they get up higher a lot quicker than a fairway or distance driver.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:05 AM

Courses Played: 50
Definitely use something stable/understable. I guess it is related to the nose up release angle, but throwing an overstable disc uphill just accentuates the fade, whereas an understable disc thrown well up a hill will go much straighter than usual. For example, from the blue tee on hole one http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_i...089&p=e0379a2d at Wellspring I flip up an Archon on a smooth hyzer shot and it flips up and finishes straight. This same Archon almost always finishes pretty far right, but here the ground rises up and catches it.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:45 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 10
fnords hit the nail on the head. An overstable disc seems to take forever to stop flying because it will come back down hill when it fades. Took me a while to understand that.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 56
Lots of different techniques. If you can reach it, and the line is available, a spike hyzer is a good option. If it's a hill and plateau, a flex shot is a good option. Tomahawks and thumbers are good options. Rollers work.

The tricky part is understanding how your discs are going to fly throwing uphill. Just imagine the hill isn't there. Because your disc doesn't know it is until it lands.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnords View Post
Definitely use something stable/understable. I guess it is related to the nose up release angle, but throwing an overstable disc uphill just accentuates the fade, whereas an understable disc thrown well up a hill will go much straighter than usual. For example, from the blue tee on hole one http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_i...089&p=e0379a2d at Wellspring I flip up an Archon on a smooth hyzer shot and it flips up and finishes straight. This same Archon almost always finishes pretty far right, but here the ground rises up and catches it.
Pretty well explained for all to understand.