Old 11-17-2013, 10:47 PM

Distance Driving ?

I haven't been playing very long and I would sure like to add some more distance to my drives. So my question is which one of these two throws would more than likely get you more distance. Hyzer flip or anhyzering an OS disc.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:35 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
h flip all day.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:56 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 13
I would recommend learning to hyzer flip slower understable discs. This will give you the best distance and control without learning bad habits. A lot of people learned the s shot(anhyzering a overstable disc)first and have trouble latter with flat shots.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:26 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 83
Well I think I can speak for everybody and say that we would all like to add some distance to our drives. Its just not as easy as learning to hyzer flip or throwing a flex shot with an overstable disc. Distance will come in due time when you form is up to par and you learn the correct lines to throw a disc on. But for which one has more distance potential, they both do. Ive gotten hyzer flips up to 570 and the backhand flex up to 590.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:30 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
The best way to learn distance is to stick with putters until you can hyzer flip one 300+. Then go back to drivers and throw them the exact same way and you should see 450+ distance.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 3
Depends on the wind and disc, but generally, the big sloppy flex of an OS disc is nothing but a distance shot - not one you'd pull out on the course. Hyzer-flips are infinitely more useful, controllable, can get incredible distance, and demand solid form. Skip the big sloppy flex - it isn't going to help your game.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: LHBH
H flip is the way to go. Pull that old beat up leopard or whatever out of your closet. It can still teach you somthings.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:26 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterian View Post
The best way to learn distance is to stick with putters until you can hyzer flip one 300+. Then go back to drivers and throw them the exact same way and you should see 450+ distance.
I can throw a putter 300+, barely breaking 400 with wraiths. But it's a pretty decent piece of advice. 450 doesn't happen overnight.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:26 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bantha View Post
I haven't been playing very long and I would sure like to add some more distance to my drives. So my question is which one of these two throws would more than likely get you more distance. Hyzer flip or anhyzering an OS disc.
I believe every discer has a unique power zone, for me, I can generate more snap, power and distance coming low to high on a OS flex shot then I can hyzer flipping, even though I have practiced the latter much more.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:29 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A rod View Post
I can throw a putter 300+, barely breaking 400 with wraiths. But it's a pretty decent piece of advice. 450 doesn't happen overnight.
Throwing putters keeps your form clean and is always a good thing to do/work on.

That part of the advice is solid. But no, you won't magically throw 450'+ just because you can get your putters out to a respectable difference. Throwing putters and throwing drivers, especially distance drivers, are different. I'm always amazed when I see people repeating this advice, and I wonder whether they're just passing along something that sounds right to them, or if they've actually done it. Of course, not everybody's the same, but when I got to 300' with putters, I had some pretty bad nose angle issues that kept me from cracking 400'. In fact, I still do, and 400' is hit or miss with me though I can hit 300' with a putter much more easily than 400' with a driver.

Hyzer flip or flex shot for big d all comes down to what feels comfortable to you. For me, it's the hyzer flip. But everybody who's saying neither one of these techniques are the magic bullet is right. There's a lot to learn before you're able to hit the right lines, with the right discs, at the right power to throw far.