Old 11-11-2013, 11:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: RHBH
Standing on top of a slide at a playground. Best spot I've seen for this perspective so far.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:19 PM
.:Team Innova Crew:.

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 81
This is very interesting to watch. I love the angle. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:03 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 21
Mike, I was reading old threads on DGR.. You posted in 2008 that you were struggling to break 400ft... As a certified BIG ARM, what was your break through and was is a massive sudden improvement or gradual?
Old 11-11-2013, 01:30 PM
* Ace Member *

The improvement has always been gradual. I can remember being pumped to hit 320' with Valks, then I finally parked a 355' hole at my home course with the same disc. Then I disced down to Teebirds for 8 months and learned to break 400' with them. Experimented with distance drivers but none really clicked at the time. Broke 425' with QOLFS, then eventually started feelin the wider rims and gradually got to 500' over time.

I know this isn't what people want to hear, but for me there was never a secret to it. It was a matter of reading theory on DGR mostly, then trying what I read, over and over and over. I'd work on things that felt right, and discard anything that didn't, and I would practice my ass off. Thousands and thousands of throws in the field later, and hundreds of rounds per year, I'm where I am now.

I remember hitting a brick wall once I got to 440' or so. I felt like I'd never learn to throw further. I don't k ow what happened this year but I broke 500' without ever aiming to increase my D in 2013. Go figure.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:44 PM

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 21
Best part of the overhead view for me is seeing the unforced reach back. Seems to generate better timing with opening up your hips and starting your pull with only positive momentum. I'm probably not explaining it properly with how im viewing it, but whatever, awesome view!
Old 11-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocthecourse View Post
What I would like to see is a video of someone throwing a Teebird 400+ feet, but with the camera overhead. I think it might be interesting to see.
^A video suggestion I made in you Noodle arm thread. I have been waiting for someone with a decent arm to post an overhead video because I thought it would help to see some of the timing better.

My new request is to record some stand still drives with an overhead camera.

Thanks for the video.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1
Courses Played: 10
After watching this video and doing an hour of field work I just added about 15-20 feet on average in distance - and I threw my longest drive yet. This is a pretty big deal for me as a new player. Thanks, Mike.

Last edited by dukesilver; 11-11-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:58 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 9
Hey Mike - glad you got that shot! Looks cool and really exposes your hand/wrist position into and through the hit.

I finally hit 405' (on flat ground) yesterday after playing 18 and what kills me is that it felt almost identical to a previous throw that hit 350'. The only thing that changed was that I kept it more nose down and the disc stayed about 15' off the ground the whole way and just kept going. I've been banging up against 400' for a while, just not quite getting there - but I think the single biggest thing to help jump from 300 -> 400' has been getting the disc to leaver out of my hit between my thumb and index finger.

I keep the power grip a bit loose right until the power zone and then I squeeze the **** out of it and try to imagine it pivoting out at the last second. It happens so damn fast I have no idea what's really going on, but it's working for the moment.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocthecourse View Post
^A video suggestion I made in you Noodle arm thread. I have been waiting for someone with a decent arm to post an overhead video because I thought it would help to see some of the timing better.

My new request is to record some stand still drives with an overhead camera.

Thanks for the video.
I'll try some standstill shots if the course we play today has a good vantage point.

The first throw of this video was with an Ion, and I think it went 350' before hitting the pavilion. Would of been about 375' or more on flat ground, so that same throw should of been 400-420' with a teebird I'd imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesilver View Post
After watching this video and doing an hour of field work I just added about 15-20 feet on average in distance - and I threw my longest drive yet. This is a pretty big deal for me as a new player. Thanks, Mike.
Thats awesome news! Glad it helped

Old 11-11-2013, 02:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 106
I did this 2 months ago.
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.