Disc Golf Center
Old 11-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: LHBH
Try to get my girlfriend into disc golf

So I've been trying get my girlfriend into disc golf this summer. She didn't seem to enjoy it too much until these last few weeks. But now she seems to be enjoying herself. She's just been using some of the discs that I don't throw, mostly some mids and putters with a couple light drivers. She still is only throwing around 100' but she seems determined to get better. Any recomendations on discs or coaching? Should she stick with DX for now?
Old 11-11-2013, 12:58 PM
*#!SuiCiDe AnKLeS*$$

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: RHBH
girlfriend+disc golf threads are my favorites.

She's doing it because you like it and she wants to hang out with you. Simple technique advice will suffice. Post pictures of her form, and you'll get all the help you could ever ask for.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:03 PM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
She's doing it because you like it and she wants to hang out with you. Simple technique advice will suffice.
This is pretty spot-on. Not everyone needs to be coached up.

With girlfriends especially, it's often better to just enjoy the fact that she's willing to come out to the course and show some interest in things that are important to you. Let her throw it around however she wants, and if she gets frustrated, offer a few simple pointers for how to improve.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:07 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 104
no GF wants to be "fixed" -- in anything or anytime. Its mans nature to be the repairer/protector but sometimes we just need to listen more and guide them in the right direction. Stand over her shoulder and make sure the grip feels good yaaaaaaa dig. More she plays better she will get that's the case with anyone and if she wants to bang you after the round all the better' who cares if she scored par or not.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
no GF wants to be "fixed" -- in anything or anytime. Its mans nature to be the repairer/protector but sometimes we just need to listen more and guide them in the right direction. Stand over her shoulder and make sure the grip feels good yaaaaaaa dig. More she plays better she will get that's the case with anyone and if she wants to bang you after the round all the better' who cares if she scored par or not.
This is really the best answer. I have learned from experience that giving advice is the worst way to get your significant other involved. If she's doing it because you want her to, then you have to let her learn to enjoy it like you. If she's truly interested and wants to be a better player, she will figure out where to find advice.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: LHBH
Old 11-11-2013, 01:41 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 317
Its great when you can share a common interest with a loved one, but I'm a firm believer into not bending people into something they're not.

If you can get the significant other to come out to the course with you and throw a round, enjoy that for the quality time that it is. Should you marry this gal someday and have kids with her, rinse and repeat with the children.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:04 PM

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcnelly View Post
So I've been trying get my girlfriend into disc golf this summer. She didn't seem to enjoy it too much until these last few weeks. But now she seems to be enjoying herself. She's just been using some of the discs that I don't throw, mostly some mids and putters with a couple light drivers. She still is only throwing around 100' but she seems determined to get better. Any recomendations on discs or coaching? Should she stick with DX for now?
You already conquered the most difficult part. People should be taking advice from you!!!
Old 11-11-2013, 02:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 27
Don't do it. If you get married and have kids, who's gonna stay home with them?

I take my kids on the course occasionally, mostly my six year old, but he only throws when he feels like it.

Maybe she's more into photography, and can take pics while you play?

Don't coach her unless she asks. If she's looking for discs, find ones that would suit any person who can throw her distance. Lightweight isn't always the answer. What would she do in the wind?

Personally, I'd go with a beaded mildly OS Putter, like a Wizard, and a neutral fast mid, maybe a Warship. Should be all she needs to get started
Once she's more motivated, a good starter driver, like a Sidewinder, Patriot, Amp or Avenger SS?

Last edited by Grungedude42; 11-11-2013 at 02:35 PM.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:54 PM
.:Team Innova Crew:.

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 81
You want your girlfriend to play disc golf? Don't ever ever ever let her come onto this website and read anything. Keep her far away from it.