Old 03-20-2014, 01:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 61
Throwing Style: RHBH
just got my Pylam samples in. has anyone figured out the ratio of dye to water/oil for dip dyes and soap for painting yet?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2014, 02:22 AM
* Ace Member *

any one?
Old 03-22-2014, 10:41 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 37
Yeah I'm waiting for the Pylam ratios also...
Old 03-22-2014, 10:52 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 47
I think Odyssey posted his ratios a couple of times. Not sure anybody has posted a good ratio for painting with it yet though.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:07 PM
* Ace Member *

nope. just went through the whole thread. only posted ratios were for prochemicals.
the directions that came with my samples state to "prepare a 5% solution in the appropriate solvent using the same chart and compare to a standard made in the same manner."
since I don't have a scale that measures mg I guess I'm going to have to measure it in volume and go from there.

also, has anyone used the oil soluble dyes? the bright pink they sent is oil soluble (while the rest are water soluble)
Old 03-23-2014, 03:11 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSELL View Post
nope. just went through the whole thread. only posted ratios were for prochemicals.
the directions that came with my samples state to "prepare a 5% solution in the appropriate solvent using the same chart and compare to a standard made in the same manner."
since I don't have a scale that measures mg I guess I'm going to have to measure it in volume and go from there.

also, has anyone used the oil soluble dyes? the bright pink they sent is oil soluble (while the rest are water soluble)
i mixed all of my samples to the ratio he specified on page 13 i think it was... worked just fine. i have more time to play w dyes on monday and tuesday nights because I'm off work then, and home. i plan to test the oil pink tomorrow.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:51 PM
* Ace Member *

page 13?
Old 03-24-2014, 10:45 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 24
From page 14:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey113 View Post
Thanks man. I am really happy with that one. I found the page where I posted some of my mix ratio's with the prochemicals additives and so forth, but I have since revised them to be mixed by the 1 pint mason jar. I have been adding these additives to all my dyes since I discovered them. So just so you know, all my pylam dyes were mixed with the prochemicals solutions as well. It may have something to do with the colors, it may not. I have just been using them regardless. Seems to work quite well though so far. Myself and a few others have purchased the prochemicals disperse dye sampler pack. It includes the additives listed below (minus vinegar).

I have been mixing the following (in this order):

1. apprx. 1 pint of water warmed up but not boiling
2. 1/2 tspn dye carrier nsc
3. 4-6 drops synthrapol
4. 1/2 tspn white vinegar
5. 3 tspn of dye powder

I then simmer and stir the dye for a little while on a low temperature. Just enough to help it dissolve all the way. Then I just put the dye back into my mason jars to use as needed.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:01 PM
* Ace Member *

yeah, i saw that. i was wondering about the ratios of just Pylam to water and oil. guess i'll just figure it out myself.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:25 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSELL View Post
yeah, i saw that. i was wondering about the ratios of just Pylam to water and oil. guess i'll just figure it out myself.
I know the bright pink you are referring to. I havent fully tested it yet but I think it needs to be dissolved in a solvent first like rubbing alcohol or acetone. I didnt really like the shade of that pink so I didnt bother testing it further. Also keep in mind I think pylam is a little confused about how we use these dyes. I wouldn't mix any oil with it personally. Your welcome to experiment as you wish with that dye, I just cant offer a lot of advice with that particular dye. I would say try to tell them next time you order you only want water soluble disperse dyes. That should keep it a little more straight forward.