Old 11-28-2013, 03:35 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: RHBH
Dedication is....

I witnessed dedication to the game quite often, from participating i workdays all day, to the one guy who stays out on the course all day, in cold and wind, working on the course. Id like to hear your stories of dedication, to thank those who often dont get thanked. Ideas can come from people who work on he course, people playing in tough conditions, the td who takes money out of his own wallet to help make the tournament the best that it can be, or anything that you think shows dedication.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:43 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.8
Courses Played: 19
Good call. The throwers who dedicate time and effort to the improvement of the course as well as the parks department peeps who keep them up overall don't get enough credit. Today especially I'm thankful for them. Another blessing to count.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:16 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemmers View Post
... as well as the parks department peeps who keep them up overall don't get enough credit. Today especially I'm thankful for them. Another blessing to count.
This +1. My home course is kept up by the parks dept. almost entirely, thanks to the local club dying between 2-3 years ago. They do a great job for those who play the course. Now to figure out how to get the local club going again, but that is a topic for a different thread
Old 11-29-2013, 03:05 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 6
My home course is a public park. Hardly ever do I see any litter or grafitti any where in the park. Also I have had one guy off of the forum here send me a disc free of charge, just to try and help me improve my game. Aim for the chains, tjat anode opened a whole new door for me. Mile C's dedication to this sport has been an inspiration to me. Because of him I have decided to start throwing more competively,.enterimg tournaments and such. I have never met either Mike or Aim, but certainly hope to one day soon.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 42
All of the people who volunteer for course upkeep. The people who carry a garbage bag during their round to clean up the course. And of course, me, for still playing this game despite my abysmal showing week in and week out.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.9
Courses Played: 35
There are so many dedicated people out there....and I don't know how they do it. Honestly.

I have designed and built a course here on my base in South Korea. I started a PDGA-sanctioned league and have spent thousands of my own dollars to get the course built and the league rolling with prizes, trophies and whatnot. My reasoning was doing it for the love of the game and the ever-popular "grow the sport." Well last night, one of the league players began to chat with me on Facebook. He proceeded to tell me how bad my course sucks because hole 6 "lacks imagination" (it's an island hole that said individual routinely gets a 5 or a 7 on during league) and that there are no tunnel shots and my course sucks because "every course needs a tunnel shot". (he was wrong, by the way, there are multiple tunnel shots on the course, yet he always tries a huge hyzer or anhyzer to try and go over them.)

What's the point of this rant? This one guy, this ONE GUY upset me so much that I considered pulling the course for good after our final league day on Sunday. I still might. Because of one person, all my hard work and sacrifice feels like it was for nothing.

NOW: think about that guy you see at your home course. That guy who never seems to really be concentrating on the round. He's the guy who is always picking up trash, or sweeping off teepads with his hands. Maybe he's straightening an askew teesign. He leads the work days and is always begging people to come out. Even when they don't show, he's still out there, doing the job that the city Parks and Rec should really be doing. And usually, that guy has been doing it for years.

I've been doing this a matter of months and one comment is enough for me to pull the course. Now realize that the guy at your local course, the one I just described, has heard thousands of comments like that over the years. Things like: "this course wouldn't suck so bad if hole 4 had a decent hyzer route." That guy wants to stop and tell you that there can't be a hyzer line there due to city mandates. He also wants to chew you out because he knows you're the guy who keeps dropping cigarette butts everywhere. But he doesn't. Because his love for the game of disc golf is so high, that he willing sacrifices the enjoyment he could have by being a blissful, unaware chucker just so you and others can have fun.

Thats dedication. Thats commitment. And thats the only reason this sport is still around.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 24
That guy who complains about how the course sucks, I work with someone like that. When everything seems to be going good, they always know just the right thing to say to bring everyone down.

On a positive note, there is a local pro here in the Kalamazoo area, who dedicates a ton of time. He runs three leagues in the summer, one in the winter, and puts on 3 or 4 tourneys a year. He also managed to land the worlds in 2008, and the Am worlds are coming here in 2015. I don't know how he finds the time for all that, but I for one am grateful.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22.9
Courses Played: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgmc View Post

On a positive note, there is a local pro here in the Kalamazoo area, who dedicates a ton of time. He runs three leagues in the summer, one in the winter, and puts on 3 or 4 tourneys a year. He also managed to land the worlds in 2008, and the Am worlds are coming here in 2015. I don't know how he finds the time for all that, but I for one am grateful.
Yep. That's the epitome of dedication right there. Hopefully he has a good job, because that is a seriously labor of love with no financial recovery on the investment. My hats off to him...I'll congratulate him myself when I play in Am Worlds in 2015!
Old 11-29-2013, 07:04 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
. . . when I play in Am Worlds in 2015!
yeah until someone complains about a hole and you start ripping baskets out of the ground and get DQ'd.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:29 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 0.8
Courses Played: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
There are so many dedicated people out there....and I don't know how they do it. Honestly.

I have designed and built a course here on my base in South Korea. I started a PDGA-sanctioned league and have spent thousands of my own dollars to get the course built and the league rolling with prizes, trophies and whatnot. My reasoning was doing it for the love of the game and the ever-popular "grow the sport." Well last night, one of the league players began to chat with me on Facebook. He proceeded to tell me how bad my course sucks because hole 6 "lacks imagination" (it's an island hole that said individual routinely gets a 5 or a 7 on during league) and that there are no tunnel shots and my course sucks because "every course needs a tunnel shot". (he was wrong, by the way, there are multiple tunnel shots on the course, yet he always tries a huge hyzer or anhyzer to try and go over them.)

What's the point of this rant? This one guy, this ONE GUY upset me so much that I considered pulling the course for good after our final league day on Sunday. I still might. Because of one person, all my hard work and sacrifice feels like it was for nothing.

NOW: think about that guy you see at your home course. That guy who never seems to really be concentrating on the round. He's the guy who is always picking up trash, or sweeping off teepads with his hands. Maybe he's straightening an askew teesign. He leads the work days and is always begging people to come out. Even when they don't show, he's still out there, doing the job that the city Parks and Rec should really be doing. And usually, that guy has been doing it for years.

I've been doing this a matter of months and one comment is enough for me to pull the course. Now realize that the guy at your local course, the one I just described, has heard thousands of comments like that over the years. Things like: "this course wouldn't suck so bad if hole 4 had a decent hyzer route." That guy wants to stop and tell you that there can't be a hyzer line there due to city mandates. He also wants to chew you out because he knows you're the guy who keeps dropping cigarette butts everywhere. But he doesn't. Because his love for the game of disc golf is so high, that he willing sacrifices the enjoyment he could have by being a blissful, unaware chucker just so you and others can have fun.

Thats dedication. Thats commitment. And thats the only reason this sport is still around.
Brother, don't let that one lone doucherocket affect your feelings about your course. "Haters gonna hate," as they say. It's always the selfish idiot who cares nothing for the sport itself, only interested in what it can do for him instead of what he can do for it, that sucks the motivation out of guys like you who make it possible for him to enjoy a round in Korea, of all places.

Don't give that d-bag the satisfaction. Just tell him, "Really? If your imagination, ingenuity, and motivation are so much better, go ahead and design, fund, and maintain your own course and skip mine altogether. Show everybody how 'awesome' you are by making a better course than mine. But until you do that, how about you shut your smelly pie-hole about my course -- or, at the very least, fork over some green to implement your so-called 'great idea' of how to make mine better. If you're not willing to do those things then you're just another limp-d!ck whiner who's enjoyment of the game is being piggy-backed by entrepreneurs like me."

Keep doing what you do, brother, and don't let candy-a$$ whiners like that brown stain interfere with your enjoyment of making the sport off the chain for throwers all over the world. After all, it's guys like you who've made it what it is. I, for one, am truly humbled and thankful for the guys like you who make disc golf possible.

Happy holidays, brother!