Old 11-23-2013, 05:01 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Going in the water

I know we all love water hazards and I always think I can clear them. Sometimes I'm mistaken. I'm also amazed at how far a disc can go in a random direction after it hits a tree. Sucks when it's in stream, lake or pond.

Today I was playing Goose Landing for the first time. There are a lot of water hazards and on one I was about 5 feet short of clearing it. I could see it out there in only about 6 inches of water. It's 54 degree out but I wanted my Prodigy D4 back so I took off the socks and shoes and went in.

Well, the water was 6 inches but the mud was about a foot. Marsh city. My toes are still cold.

This is the forth time I've went into a body of water to get a disc back. One was the same disc 2 days in a row.

Anybody else like taking a swimming break during a round?
Old 11-23-2013, 05:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 40
I've only entered the water once. I too stepped off into what appeared to be about 6 inches of water and sank up to my knees in muck.
Some ponds contain a flesh eating bacteria so enter at your own risk!
Old 11-23-2013, 05:28 PM
*#!SuiCiDe AnKLeS*$$

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 82
If it starts raining, do you run? No way...go in and get the damn thing!
Old 11-23-2013, 05:48 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 101
I was playing a course 90 miles from me once preparing for an upcoming A-Tier. It was March in KS - which means it was about 45 degrees. Trying to clear the water I threw a Wahoo because it floated and I really didn't like the disc so I didn't care. Didn't clear it. No biggie, was willing to walk away.

Next hole, there was a couple of guys so I asked him if he had a Golden Retriever having never actually used one before. He did, so off I went to try to get my Wahoo. Holding the string in one hand, I threw the Retriever out not realizing how much pull it would have and it yanked the string out.

So now, I HAD to go in after it, because I just threw a stranger's Retriever in the water. This was out there in water deeper than head deep. There was a girl watching me the whole time in the shelter right next to it. So I went in with jeans on (because I didn't have the nerve to strip down to my underwear) and got my disc and retriever (string had not sunk yet). I was on my 4th hole, after driving 90 miles, totally wet, in 45-degree weather. Had to drive back home and not finish my round.

Now, if I go more than 30 minutes from my house, I always carry extra clothes with me. And I will go in after my discs with shorts on and spare shoes so I don't cut up my feet.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:50 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 101
I know have a Golden Retriever with some prize money as well.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:50 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 29
Summertime I've gone in a couple of times and found my disc by "feel" with my feet. A couple of other times were like your situation but we found a long stick and fished it out since we could see it. Got me thinking ..........my Golden Retriever arrived FedEx yesterday!
Old 11-23-2013, 06:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
I often go in water searching for discs. Though almost always, after the round; I rarely stop a round to go in.

But it reminds me of a story. The first time I ever played Trophy Lakes in Charleston---as watery a course as you're ever likely to find---my brother and I arrived 2 hours early and walked the course to get a look at it. It was December, and unusually cold for Charleston; about 30 degrees, with frost covering the ground.

Well, we get to a hole with a basket on a peninsula, and there's a guy stripped to his shorts, standing knee deep in the water. I say, "That's dedication". After we pass, we hear him say, "Looks like I'm going to have to dive." 30 degrees, frost, all that, mind you. And I say, "That's dedication".

About 3 holes later he plays through, soaking wet and in danger of freezing solid. And I say, "That's dedication!".

I asked him later, and he explained. "It was my putter." And, of course, we all understood.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
If it starts raining, do you run? No way...go in and get the damn thing!
You haven't seen some of the scuzzy water down here obviously.
I throw easily replaceable discs over those hazards. If you want to go in and fight loggerhead turtles, go for it jarhead!
Old 11-23-2013, 07:50 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 18
I was raised down south. I use to do this just for fun when there wasn't a disc to go in after.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:17 PM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 213
Solomon trenton saw me jump in maple hill. Jrawk has probably seen me jump in to water more than he would admit. And there are pictures of me at parma, ny in the water with ice floating next to me.