Old 12-10-2013, 08:51 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Define player skill level.....

What is the general thought around here....what defines a newb, intermediate and advanced player? I have my first season under my belt and have improved over all but seems like everyone on here is throwing putters 300, mids 350, and drivers 962ft......... But when I play at popular local course, seems like maybe top ten percent are throwing those distance categories. What kind of scores should accompany different classifications? Looking for recreational opinions, not a link to dga or something like that.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 29
Hard to say, really. I guess it's all a matter of where they play and when and with whom and for how long.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 28
Not to be trite, but I only compare me to me. I've been playing a year and I'm getting better, that's all I know. I've played along side folks that make me look like a seasoned player and I've played with some that make me look like I just picked up my first disc. I'm having a ball and so are they, that's all that matters to me.

Maybe someone else will have a better answer.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:09 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis_Valk View Post
Not to be trite, but I only compare me to me. I've been playing a year and I'm getting better, that's all I know. I've played along side folks that make me look like a seasoned player and I've played with some that make me look like I just picked up my first disc. I'm having a ball and so are they, that's all that matters to me.

Maybe someone else will have a better answer.
What's your average distance, average score at home course.....I know different courses have diff ratings. My home course is badlands in federal heights, my average is about + 8 I will look up course rating. I throw average 300 dives and see a bomb every so often, my putter 150 ish, mids 230 ish. Would consider my self advanced beginner.......
Old 12-10-2013, 09:10 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 115
Well, newb is self-explanatory, under any spelling.

For what it's worth, "intermediate" and "advanced" are tournament divisions, so people who play tournaments may think in terms of those skill levels. Which are, by the way, not so much measured by distance, as consistency.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:17 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 28
Average distance with fairway drivers is +/- 300, mids are around 270 or so and I don't usually drive with putters except on the practice field. I can get around 230 or so but have hit longer. As far as my scores, I have recorded some rounds in the DGCR scorebook (neat feature btw) and I think you can see them (not sure) if you go to my DGCR profile. My DGCR SSE is in the low 800s. I've posted single games as high as 901 and also well into the low 700s. I'm not ashamed of the low scores and I don't let the high ones inflate my ego if I can help it. I figure everyone has their good days and bad days.

Also, I don't record all of my rounds in the DGCR scorebook but I try not to selectively record the "best" ones either. Just rounds that I'm half way serious about, good or bad.

Edit: I just checked out Nemmer's scorebook, so yes you can check out my scores if you like. Just click on my name and DGCR profile, then go to scorebook.

Last edited by Curtis_Valk; 12-10-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Eagle Member

I am researching the tourney classes as we Speke....... Seems like I would I would be around 800 player also......and as far as consistency vs distance, prob have something to do with scoring averages.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.9
Courses Played: 155
Well, I'm definitely a little OCD, but I've recorded all my rounds using the scorebook here, and have seen improvement over my first two years. A little consistency lets me now finish in the middle of the Intermediate pack in tournament play, which fits my pdga rating (889, though my dgcr rating is 40 points -about 4 strokes per round- better because I play too often at my easy home course). I could still play recreational, but I've got enough experience under my belt to say I'm definitely no longer a noob.

It's definitely not how far you throw, but how accurately. There are guys my age (early 50's) who throw much farther than I do (tee shots between 280'-300' are good for me), and some who park their drives within range of their deadly putting much better than me. But what really makes them 'advanced' is the calm performance at all times that results in having nearly zero 'blow up' holes in a round. They just don't bogey much.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:41 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 54
I know plenty of people who are far better than me that I outdrive by close to 100'.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:43 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 75
Distance doesn't have squat to do with skill level unless you know where its going. Its so much more about distance control, shaping shots, touch and putting. These skills equal scoring low.