Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: How much is enough?
1-2 will get me through 55 47.83%
5 to stay alive 28 24.35%
10 is zen 4 3.48%
what, you mean you are supposed to stop collecting? 28 24.35%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2013, 03:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Always 4 or 5 Teebirds in the bag and many more in the stack. I also have a stack of Rocs and Ghosts and around 10 Aviars.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2013, 06:08 AM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 42
I have a stack, and I do mean a STACK of putters. Got about 5 JK Aviars, 10 KC Pros and a couple BBs (one Champ, one Star, a bunch of DX). I cycle them in and out to keep them all fresh, but I use them for putting practice in my barracks room, of course.

Other than that, I don't keep too many back-ups because I get so attached to my discs. For instance, I only have one Volt right now, even though I use it all the time. But I do bag lots of multiples (4 Teebirds, 3 Terns, 5 Rocs, 2 M1s, for example) I use to have tons of back-ups when I had lots of disposable income. I've sold some, traded some, given some away, lost some. But I've learned to cut back.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:46 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
20+ CE Qjls, 20+ teebirds of all varieties kc pro, CE, early star, 10x, 11x
Two boxes of 20+ Rocs dx,kc,champ.
10 *d destroyers, 12 wraiths

When I look at my backups I feel like this
When I think how much it cost me I feel like this
Old 12-13-2013, 10:06 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 44
5 backups for my main putter.
5 backups of driving putter.
2 backups of roc 3
2 backups of mako 3
1 backup of gator
3 backups of whippet
1 backup of champ firebird
1 backup of star firebird
1 backup of OS teebird (too few)
1 backups of straight teebird (too few)
1 backup of xcal
4 backups of straight destroyer
0 OS destroyers or backups (just freaking lost both)
= 27 backups, but need to buy 2 teebirds and 2 OS destroyers to make 30 backups. (put 1 of those destroyers into the bag.)

I only keep enough backups for me to lose any disc in a round and continue round 2 feeling fine. The discs i'll lose more i try to have more copies of (destroyers), since those are the ones i do the risky shots with (try to carry water that is questionable, throw into headwinds and risk flipping into trouble, etc)
Old 12-13-2013, 10:08 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 80
I have this as my back up policy:
Drivers - 2-3 per mold
Mids - 1-2 per mold
Putters - 5-6 per mold. I use these mostly for practice.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:16 AM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 75
1-2 is plenty if you just want backups in case something happens to your throwers.

There are plenty of other reasons to collect more than that though. For instance, you may want to horde more OOP plastic to make sure you have replacements over a long period of time.

Also, for practice (putting or field work) it can be useful to have 5 or more. Although you could also claim that for this purpose, they're not true backups considering they actually have a specific use.

And of course, I don't consider cycling the same as backups. Each one has a different stage of wear, and a different use.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:24 AM
Noodle Arm

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 65
I voted 1-2 backup because it seems like when I have start using my back up disc, I find an "newer" version of the disc that looks better, or has a different/better plastic.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:25 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 105
Throwing Style: LHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post
Also, for practice (putting or field work) it can be useful to have 5 or more. Although you could also claim that for this purpose, they're not true backups considering they actually have a specific use.

And of course, I don't consider cycling the same as backups. Each one has a different stage of wear, and a different use.
If you cycle then each stage of wear is technically a new "disc". If you lose your turnover Roc, you don't want to replace it with a new one.

I have a couple sweet spot FR S-PDs that I consider different than my freshies. They have lost a lot of their low speed fade and have a slight turn to them that make them wonderful in that role. I couldn't replace them with any other plastic of PD, not even a low PLH P-Line.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:03 AM
Par Member

How's this for backing up ... I have MANY multiples of all of my primary discs (wizard, voodoo, zone, meteor, buzzz, sidewinder, TL and/or teebird, firebird, wraith and/or destroyer, and nuke) in the following colors: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, white, and glow. Starting last year, it has become my habit to throw all discs of one color for 2-3 months. Throughout the fall I was throwing all blue discs because they tend to be more visible in a pile of leaves. Now that CT has gotten our first snow, I've switched to all red. I like switching things up because it helps to not beat in any one disc too much, it keeps things fresh (not throwing the same exact disc for the same shots over and over and over again), and I get to use discs that I wouldn't otherwise use.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:26 PM
Wizard of Plastic Land

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 50
I tend to backup my rare discs and my drivers the most, but try to have as many backups as possible for everything. My bag is pretty much set right now, so I'm focusing on trading or selling for cash all my non-bagged discs for backups of the ones I throw. I currently have:

4 backup wizards
7 backup CFlx Zones
2 backup Tangents
4 Backup Z/Cryztal Buzzzes
only 1 backup trident
4 backup Amps
2 backup D4s (with more on the way!)